Cat Poo

How do you stop dogs from eating cat poo? or how do you stop cats from pooing in your yard?

Lizzy suffers from pancreatitias and i caught her this morning eating cat poo. I have caught her doing this b4 as well.

I have the same problem Lizzy - Sash loves cat poo (and duck poo). Lucky the only place she can get to it is on the front lawn of a house we walk past everyday and I'm aware it's there so I just keep her away from that area. If Im not concentrating though, it's not unusual for her to quickly scoop it up and it's gone :)

Hard if it's on your own lawn though... If you know whose cat it is, I'd say something to them, ask them to contain the cat somehow or stop it going into your yard because it's toiletting on your lawn and making your dog sick. If they refuse, perhaps then ask them to share some of the veterinary costs? :) I think just as dog owners are expected to be responsible - cat owners should be too...

Not sure if there are any 'tricks' to stop it though... and it's hard to keep your dog away in it's own backyard.

If this is on your property, then you can report the cat to council if you know who owns it.

Owners of cats have an obligation to keep their cats on their property if they are causing a nuisance to other residents. Of course this usually means the owner needs to build an enclosure or some other type of confinement for them.

Yes it is in our backyard constantly. Two neighbour have cats so i presume it is theirs doing it. They bury it and our backyard must be covered in it as she is always sniffing and digging it up!

I don't know how to say anything to the neighbours as i have already asked them not to let their kids feed my dog or to throw food in the yard as it could kill her. But now it is the cat issue!!!!

I might ring the council but i cannot see them doing much about it!

Just take care of it yourself. Given that you are faced with a dog that could at any time become very ill from eating it , I wouldn't rely on council or cat owners to fix the issue.

Yeah i just rang the council and they told me that the cats are aloud to run free and they don't have to be kept in their yard....... This could potentially kill me dog! I don't want to harm anyones animals but they are harming my precious girl!!!

It is just one thing after another at the moment :thumbsup:

If you trap them, then take them to the pound during pound hours, council cannot refuse to impound a stray animal, no matter how much they argue about it.

Your dog could potentially be made very ill from this and there are times when you just have to look after your own.

I've got two cat traps set at the moment to catch a few that are choosing to wander through my yard and make themselves at home. Cats in our yard are a risk to our dogs.

I cant remember who but someone once told me that if you give your dog crushed pineapple either by itself or in its food it wont eat cat poo anymore because the cat's poo no longer tastes appealing to the dog :thumbsup:

dont know how accurate this is, i myself have never tired it as i thought pineapple might be too acidic for dogs?

hmm maybe google it, im sure there are ways on there that might help?

My Amstaffs do the same thing, we have a cats room and they always try and run in there first thing when they come in the house and eat the cats poo and then the cats food, amazing its not the food first but anyway.... :rofl:

If you find any ways, please do let us know, i know i would be keen to try it too :thumbsup:

Edited by Danii

If you trap them, then take them to the pound during pound hours, council cannot refuse to impound a stray animal, no matter how much they argue about it.

Your dog could potentially be made very ill from this and there are times when you just have to look after your own.

I've got two cat traps set at the moment to catch a few that are choosing to wander through my yard and make themselves at home. Cats in our yard are a risk to our dogs.

I'm leaning towards this idea. I feel bad but i do have to think of my own here. My luck though they will go and buy more cats!!! I don't exactly have $50 at the moment to buy a trap though. I have sepnt me thousands of $$$ with the vets over the last 1.5 years. I will have to though. Unless i buy her a muzzle to wear outside but that will probably stress her out.

Someone told me to fill water bottles and put them around. I don't know how that can work

If you don't want to do what has been suggested.

Do you have a friend with a cat hating dog that you borrow and keep in your yard for a while.

Now that might just solve your problem.

If only ha ha!!!!

You shouldn't feel bad asking your neighbours to ask their kids to not feed the dog, or keep their cats out of your yard. I'm sure you have explained your dogs medical condition and the risks - and if they are normal people I'm sure they would be understanding.

Explain that it's costing you a fortune at the vet, and that you really have no other option and will have to trap the cats should they come in, as it could kill your dog. Your dog is the victim here, and you have to do what you can to protect your dog. It doesn't have to be threatening or nasty, but simply ask them nicely as your hands are tied - and you are only asking that your dog be left in peace in it's own backyard - it's not like you are asking them to do things in THEIR backyard.

If you can't do it face to face, just put a general letter in your surrounding neighbours letterboxes explaining the situation (but not saying you know whose cat it is) and politely asking if they could please contain it, and your only other choice is to trap them to stop them endangering your dogs life.

Otherwise, borrow that cat-hating dog :thumbsup:

There are products you can buy that you sprinkle through the soil of your garden to deter cats. They are usually based on a citronella. They are harmless and your dog won't like it either.

The other things to do is scare the living daylights out of the cats whenever you see them within your boundary. Cats usally only need to be scared a few times to be wary of going there again. Run like mad out of your house, screaming and waving your arms at them. :hug:

Why tie up Council time needlessly on trapping the cats. The owners will have them released and the same thing will keep re-ocurring. If not, the cats will end up needlessly killed because of your actions when there are other more sensible actions to take.

Are the cats only doing their business in certain areas like your garden beds or all over the yard?

If it's only specific areas you could try using some sorts of repellent. Citronella is supposed to repell animals (both cats and dogs) but I've also seen some thing with a sensor on it that will spray the cat if it comes within a certain radius of the device. Doesn't hurt them, just scares them off. It would also keep your dog out of the area too.

I'll see if I can find a link...

There's also those cat sillouettes with the glowing eyes that are supposed to scare cats off. Don't know if they work though?

Found it:

http://www.absaustralia.com.au/garden-ghost/garden-ghost.htm

http://www.absaustralia.com.au/ssscat/ssscat.htm

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.ph...=103&page=1

Edited by SecretKei

I was having this issue with cats pooping and peeing in a little sandpit we had (leftover from a hot water system removal). Moose loved bringing in the clumps of sand that reeked. Bricking up the sand pit has stopped the poo but I don't want cats in my yard at all. I think one of them attacked Zoe which left her with a perforated lens. I also get woken up by a vicious cat fight outside my window at least once a month. Grrrr so not a cat lover.

It's so wrong that people are allowed to let their cats roam free to do as they please to the detriment of other pet owners and wildlife. :)

Are the cats only doing their business in certain areas like your garden beds or all over the yard?

If it's only specific areas you could try using some sorts of repellent. Citronella is supposed to repell animals (both cats and dogs) but I've also seen some thing with a sensor on it that will spray the cat if it comes within a certain radius of the device. Doesn't hurt them, just scares them off. It would also keep your dog out of the area too.

I'll see if I can find a link...

There's also those cat sillouettes with the glowing eyes that are supposed to scare cats off. Don't know if they work though?

Found it:

http://www.absaustralia.com.au/garden-ghost/garden-ghost.htm

http://www.absaustralia.com.au/ssscat/ssscat.htm

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.ph...=103&page=1

Wow thankyou i will be sure to have a look at this closer in my lunch break..... very muchly appreciated! We have about 4 large ares of gardens and soil areas so i have to do something. I let her out again last night watching her and she again mentioned still to pick some up and eat it. I won't be letting her out anymore until i fix the problem!!!

If your other options fail, I'll post you down our cat trap free of charge.

Are you serious? That is so kind. I will try a couple of things and see how i go first, but if it doesn't work i may take you up on that offer. :)

Thankyou very much

If you catch the cats in the yard squirting them with water is usually a quick efficient way of scaring them off. But if they're doing it at night it's a little harder. Some councils have curfews on cats so check the local regulations too in this regard.

The addition of pineapple to the dog's diet I thought was usually for dogs eating their own or other dogs' poo. I'm not sure on the efficacy of this for cats' poo but it could be worth a try.

Edited by Jigsaw