Prayers For Sweep Please

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick up date to let everybody know that Sweep went downhill again for a few days - was not interested in food and lost more weight. But upon further mushing up of his chicken and simmering it in it's broth for longer, he is sucking it down. His energy is now back to what it was before he became sick and he does not have diabetes!

So conclusion is that his liver and pancreas was unwell and stopped producing insulin. Whether this was due to an infection in his organs or overload of the drugs he was on, I am not sure. He had another course of AB's and he has finished those and appears happier than ever, and is a more reasonable weight :love: He was 5.9 kg and this week at the vets was 4.6kgs. Going to keep the little man on the trimmer side from now on!

What a worrying time for you, Shmoo. Naughty Sweep to worry his mumma so much :love: .

His weight sounds good now and might have been a contributing factor before. I hope he stays well and happy from now on.

Actually, after a little scare from Rover yesterday, I have decided to keep a daily chart so I can more properly monitor how he is going. Naturally being nearly 20, he sleeps a lot of the time, but I just want to be able to do the best for him.

Hugs and kisses to you and your little household.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on Sweep. I don't think he is doing well again. He isn't vomiting, but his gums are pale and he is moving around slowly. All this began again when I put him back on red raw meat and some Eukanuba dry food. He has been drinking plenty of water - a little more than he usually would. Last night he followed me into the lounge room and stopped and peed on the floor, it was as if he couldn't hold on any longer and went right where he was standing.

Tonight he will be getting boiled chicken and rice in some of the broth. My vet is open on Monday so I shall take him down again - but I can't imagine what she will say, he had a whole bunch of tests when he was last there.

eta: we have a flea problem in this new house we moved to with, along with the rat problem in the roof. I have been treating them with Capstar and Advantage and occasional flea baths. None of the other dogs are unwell, but could he be reacting to the fleas? He doesn't have a rash and isn't biting himself. At most they have a few fleas on them at a time.

Edited by shmoo

Sorry to hear sweep isnt do great today Smoo. I hope you get some answers from your Vet on Monday.

Not too sure about the flea irritation. But even if there isnt a flea on them doesnt mean they havent been bitten and arent reacting to it.

Could the old house owners have used something in the house to get rid of the Rats that might be affecting sweep? Maybe worth asking the old owners anyway, just so you know?

Good luck on Monday.

Our landlord lives behind us and they said they put rat sack in the roof many years ago. That area of the roof can no longer be accessed because they boarded it up for some reason.

We searched the property high and low for anything Sweep might have gotten into.. and we turned up nothing.

I am worried to treat him for fleas at present because he is not well, I don't want to make things worse.

CRAP. Really sorry to hear this Shmoo. I've nothing terribly constructive to add except to say that if he becomes really lethargic please take him to the vet before Monday - pale gums and lethargy can turn really nasty really quickly.

Hopefully it's simply a reaction to the raw + Euk rather than anything more sinister. Please keep us posted... meanwhile Tommy and I will be sending him our best wishes and hoping he bounces back from this one really really quickly :laugh:

Edited by Longclaw

Thanks everybody :laugh:

I will be watching him like a hawk Longclaw. He ate his chicken really well tonight and is still up and walking around. I think I will flea bath him tomorrow (it's too cold now) in case the fleas are causing this. If he dives tomorrow I will take him to the emergency vet.

Poor Sweep. :laugh:

Shmoo I know it's unlikely in Sydney & in winter, but could the rats have exposed him to lepto?

Very good thought. I did see himself rubbing his face on the grass a few days ago. No idea if the rats go outside (I've never actually seen these rats, just heard them!)

Will check with my vet about getting him tested for that.

I had problems with a foster dog recently not being well. My vet gave her antibiotics and just to be on the safe side, put her on Hills Ultra ZD, she was so much better.

My old IG, Luigi, had Inflammatory Bowel Disease and was on it for years. I've found that many dogs that I've had don't seem to cope well with raw meat, esp beef or kangaroo. But Luigi couldn't even have chicken, we went through elimination diets and finally he had to have an endoscopy which showed IBD - NO meat protein was safe therefore.

It was a long hard path to diagnosis for him and me and I can really empathise with the worry over Sweep, I really hope they can get to the bottom of it all soon.

Edited by dogmad

Prayers still being said for Sweep.

Even if he has licked a rat that may have been baited it could have affected him? Your Vet would be able to check this by doing an Activated Clotting Blood tests. Normal for dogs I believe is for the blood to clot in 95 seconds.

Yes if you think he is not improving today at trip to the Vets today would be in orfer IMHO

Even if he has licked a rat that may have been baited it could have affected him?

I asked my vet last time he was there if he had eaten a baited rat would it affect him like this and she said no.

Could it be anything to do with the flea baths?

I doubt it would, but I am not 100% sure. He has not had a flea bath in around 2 months - been keeping the fleas away with Capstar and Advantage. I gave him a normal bath today and he had 2 fleas on him.