Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

Hi Dog Showy People,

I'm thinking of hitting the show ring for the first time, I have been reading through the thread about dog show training classes, are there any in the country, I'm at Murrurundi which is about an hour from Tamworth NSW.

My dog is a Gold English Cocker bitch (Wintergem My Fair Lady). My breeder is FANTASTIC and helps me out with advice, but she is about 9 hours away at Cooma.

I have been following my breeders advice about training, but i would love to be able to get some practical time with someone who can show me.

Luna stacks ok- not for long though we are working on that. but simply refuses to stand up properly after walking. I am patient and repetitive, i use praise and treats, any suggestions?

I would also like to know if anyone knows anybody with spaniels nearby to me who can help me with grooming for the ring, Luna is already quite hairy.

I have previously shown horses, and work with sale yearlings so I'm pretty up to date with tricks for shining coats and the use of supplements for coat darkening etc.

any advice would be appreciated, I'm an absolute Newby and have been to one dog show in my life.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Hollie,

I can help with training but I'm not at any shows up your way for a while. I'm not sure if there are any show training classes up your way either. Does anyone know if Tamworth has any? Otherwise I think the closest is Newcastle?

The best bet re: grooming is probably to get an experienced cocker person to show you. I'm useless in that regard as Fields have considerably less coat!

Some breeders up your way:

Grace Woodward - Barbet cockers at Saratoga

Megan Rochester - Adjobi/Feenix cockers at Newcastle

Most of them are in Sydney or down south actually!

And if Ruth does some Sydney shows definitely aim to do the same shows and she can help you then.

With training - only reward for correct behaviour! If she doesn't give you what you want, don't reward! Reinforce the good though. With doing a free stand after doing a triangle etc just don't let her sit, if she does, pull her up on all fours and reward. She will get it eventually.

PM me on FB with what shows you are thinking of doing and I'll try to head to similar ones.

Hey Hollie,

I can help with training but I'm not at any shows up your way for a while. I'm not sure if there are any show training classes up your way either. Does anyone know if Tamworth has any? Otherwise I think the closest is Newcastle?

The best bet re: grooming is probably to get an experienced cocker person to show you. I'm useless in that regard as Fields have considerably less coat!

And if Ruth does some Sydney shows definitely aim to do the same shows and she can help you then.

With training - only reward for correct behaviour! If she doesn't give you what you want, don't reward! Reinforce the good though. With doing a free stand after doing a triangle etc just don't let her sit, if she does, pull her up on all fours and reward. She will get it eventually.

PM me on FB with what shows you are thinking of doing and I'll try to head to similar ones.

Thanks so much Steph, I will do that shortly, I'm just going to take the pups for a walk. Someone told me there is a lady in murrurundi that shows cockers, I'm waiting for my neighbour to give me her contact details. I will Email the newcastle people and see if they can help.

Welcome to the thread, Hollie! I look forward to meeting you around the shows. :laugh:

I did post in the Aussie thread, but neglected my other "home" thread - Miss Stella got 3rd in Baby Puppy sweepies at Erskine Park on Saturday!!! There were 31 pups in the class, so I was SO happy with her!

Niles' brother got first (go the heebie-jeebies) and the lovely toller pup got 2nd.

3 weeks til our next show at Gunnedah - Ash you are off to Gunnedah next weekend??

After that we are doing the Brisbane Waters one at Morisset, then the Sydney Kennel Club ones at the end of July, then the big weekend at Taree and then Port Stephens at Hillsborough. That's all I've got planned so far (but not yet entered, other than the Moree one).

Hey Hollie,

Thanks so much Steph, I will do that shortly, I'm just going to take the pups for a walk. Someone told me there is a lady in murrurundi that shows cockers, I'm waiting for my neighbour to give me her contact details. I will Email the newcastle people and see if they can help.

I'm not sure who that is...let me know when you find out their name.

Congrats on ya sucess with stella this weekend Deb...

Welcome to the thread LunaLou...I cant help much at all have you entered any shows?

Yes deb we are hitting gunnedah this coming weekend!

BEC Ok tell Alex Kite is coming to live with you she is such a bad pointee today so shes going very cheap...FREE TO ANY HOME sort of cheap :shrug:

Welcome LL... good luck with your kid.

Well done Ark on your results!

Lola got RuBOB and Reserve Bitch CC/Inter of Breed on Saturday. I'm really happy with her. We're now coming up against some competition and she's still doing really well! Yay!

Welcome LL... good luck with your kid.

Well done Ark on your results!

Lola got RuBOB and Reserve Bitch CC/Inter of Breed on Saturday. I'm really happy with her. We're now coming up against some competition and she's still doing really well! Yay!

Congratulations LOTG! It is really nice to do well with competition, so good on you and Lola! Any photos? :laugh:

Congratulations LOTG! It is really nice to do well with competition, so good on you and Lola! Any photos? :laugh:

LOL.. I'm slack.. still no new photos *oops*

When I have more people around to take some piccies I'll get some up. She really is coming along nicely.

Congrats on ya sucess with stella this weekend Deb...

Welcome to the thread LunaLou...I cant help much at all have you entered any shows?

Yes deb we are hitting gunnedah this coming weekend!

BEC Ok tell Alex Kite is coming to live with you she is such a bad pointee today so shes going very cheap...FREE TO ANY HOME sort of cheap :laugh:

Just told alex you were giving him kite....he ran to the car quick mum lets go get her :) ;)

:eat: twas a bit sad when I explained you were joking cause kite was naughty like toby is. Alex said kite wasnt naughty EVER with him :rofl: so must be just you :)

;) :eat:

Poor miss kitey....at least sparky isnt getting the blame this time!

WAY TO GO Bella Stella and Lola too :rofl: Yippee and the heebie jeebie too!

we havent got anything entered better get the finger out and enter a few :laugh:

Alex is on mail watch as he is awaiting Tobys CH paperwork and sash :) I had to wait till they were both transfered to my name and am such a slacker

Thanks for typing hwat ya have entered deb what about you ash?? Need to get them done now the kiddies birthdays are done :)

WAY TO GO Bella Stella and Lola too :) Yippee and the heebie jeebie too!

we havent got anything entered better get the finger out and enter a few :)

Alex is on mail watch as he is awaiting Tobys CH paperwork and sash ;) I had to wait till they were both transfered to my name and am such a slacker

Thanks for typing hwat ya have entered deb what about you ash?? Need to get them done now the kiddies birthdays are done ;)

:laugh: Not telling! :rofl:

I have entered our first show :laugh:

Now to stress over what to wear :rofl:

Yay, just go out there and have fun.

I second that.

Re what to wear, I still wear the same outfit most show days... until I find something else.. I focussed on getting stuff for the dog first :laugh:

Just remember when you do pick something to wear that it complements your dog :laugh: