Itchy Pup

wish_4_cockerspaniel

Something is making our pup itchy, particularly when he needs the loo and before he goes... he seems to be much more comfortable afterwards. It's not fleas... and it comes and goes but he's never completely un-itchy. It's not our washing powder (we swapped to Biozet) or floor cleaner (swapped to Myo).

I reckon it's something in what we feed him, but looking for ideas on what to eliminate first. He's 7 months old, here's his diet, which is working perfectly weight and energy-wise, but clearly something in there is not agreeing with him...

Breakfast - couple of handfuls of Advance puppy biscuits + 3-4 chicken necks + recently a 1/4 teaspoon cod liver oil (previously the odd tin of sardines!)

Dinner - handful of Advance puppy biscuits + a "barf-ish" mixture that we make up ourselves. In it is a blended mush (which smells strangely lovely!) of: spinach, silverbeet, celery, an orange, an apple, a banana, natural yoghurt, couple of eggs, minced beef, some chicken liver... sometimes I vary the veg/fruit but that's the basis of it. It's fresh - we freeze batches so oldest it gets is 4 days, and always smells fine.

Is any of this ringing any bells as likely itch causes? Any other ideas?

Poor pooch... :o

You say it's particularly when he needs to go to the loo....so is it his backside that's itchy? Is he running his bottom along the ground? ;)

Diet sounds very good so unless it's an allover itch - I'm baffled! :laugh: Bottom scooting is a whole other thing. :thumbsup:

More info about where he's itchy please! :eek:

Does he scratch just with his hind leg/s?Is he nibbling at himself- or rubbing on things?

Clutching at straws here- but if it is before toileting, and (guessing) at other times when he has to make a decision...

it may well be that his scratch is a bit like us biting our nails- or grabbing a cigarette ;) It helps him in a time of some anxiety....he is not sure what is happening- so he does something completely different- he scratches !

is there , or has there been, any problems with toilet training?

Why couldn't it be an allergy to your laundry detergent or disinfectant??? AS far as I know neither of those is hypoallergenic?

Edited by persephone

I would recommend to see your vet in order to rule out any obvious cause such as mites, flea allergy, etc

Once everything else has been ruled out then maybe the vet can advise you on an elimination diet.

If it's his bottom that is itchy maybe his anal glands are full and after he does a poo it gives him some relief.

Where is he itching and have you had a close look to see if there is redness etc?

I found that Morgan was really itchy on Advance (and drank excessive amounts of water) but was gradually changing her off her breeders diet to my preferred dry. Shes been far less itchy now she is on Artemis :laugh:

Interesting. We are transitioning from Purina Puppy chow to Advance (we have about 60kg of purina so doing 50/50). Pup seems calmer and less itchy on the advance. Ultimately I think we will aim for Nutro as an adult food if it suits her.

I found that Morgan was really itchy on Advance (and drank excessive amounts of water) but was gradually changing her off her breeders diet to my preferred dry. Shes been far less itchy now she is on Artemis :laugh:

Thanks to everyone for your help and ideas. In answer to a few questions:

t-time: he's not doing any scooting, it's a general itchiness, particularly around his hindquarters (which he tries to nibble) both on the top and his tummy.

persephone: what an interesting thought! also, the washing detergent is recommended by my vet as being good for pups, the floor stuff recommended by other dog owners as being the one to go for... so am hoping that's ok.

neatz: thanks, i'll see the vet again and check. as for anal glands, i don't think so as he has really good poos (something i never thought i'd say before i owned a puppy!) and hasn't had a problem with his anal glands at all. we look closely and can't see any red patches, or any patches whatsoever to be honest (which is what makes me think it's more of an "inside" itch ie. diet)... but will take another look tonight and keep an eye on him, good advice.

PC: thanks, am going to give Artemis a go! Anyone want to buy an enormous bag of Advance puppy if it works!??!

One more thing he eats that I forgot to say is he gets a sheep's ear most days as a treat when I leave for work... what do we think of sheep's ears (when no longer attached to sheep?!) :happydance2:

We cant use advance as it drives our dogs insane itching.Beef mince is also a well known itch source.

Thanks settrlvr

I've now got Artemis on order, so will give that a go.

Next time I make up his fresh food, maybe I'll go chicken mince instead.

Do pups "need" red meat tho or is it ok for white meat to be the only thing he gets?

He has the occasional lamb neck rosette, but not major keen on the stinky raw lamb-covered pup that we get as a result!!

We cant use advance as it drives our dogs insane itching.Beef mince is also a well known itch source.

Thanks settrlvr

I've now got Artemis on order, so will give that a go.

Next time I make up his fresh food, maybe I'll go chicken mince instead.

Do pups "need" red meat tho or is it ok for white meat to be the only thing he gets?

He has the occasional lamb neck rosette, but not major keen on the stinky raw lamb-covered pup that we get as a result!!

My OH just brightly said "there's always lamb mince" - maybe I'll swap that in instead?

I haven't read all of this post, but my pup is an itchy girl too. We have just come back from the vet and we are on a chicken based diet only for 2 months. The vet said that food intolerances are common in pups and they often grow out of it, but often not until around the 12 mth mark.

Her itching sort of ebbs and flows, its never a consistent level more than about two days running which leads me to think its treats and things, hence the chicken only diet. Apparently if she goes well, then after that time period I can introduce a new food once every fortnight to see what the reaction is.

Fingers crosssed, here we go...

I haven't read all of this post, but my pup is an itchy girl too. We have just come back from the vet and we are on a chicken based diet only for 2 months. The vet said that food intolerances are common in pups and they often grow out of it, but often not until around the 12 mth mark.

Her itching sort of ebbs and flows, its never a consistent level more than about two days running which leads me to think its treats and things, hence the chicken only diet. Apparently if she goes well, then after that time period I can introduce a new food once every fortnight to see what the reaction is.

Fingers crosssed, here we go...

Good luck Shel!

As for Roo - I think it's quite rich, we haven't tried Dylan on it, but if it's only a young pup you might want something milder (chicken)... what would I know though, I'm the one with a scratchy puppy!!

I've been to the vet this evening as his itching was causing little spots that looked like mozzie bites around his bum, she gave me some cream to settle them down (they are caused by his biting rather than anything else, who knew?), checked him for fleas (all clear) and emptied his anal sacks (he was delighted!)... she reckons I might have to check anal sacks more often as this is most likely what's annoying him... and trying the new biscuits may also help (thanks PC!) so fingers crossed!!

Thanks everyone for their advice... I will give you an update on my dog's bum any time you're interested!!

red meat is a well known cause of itchies and skin problems in dogs. Try chicken for a month or so and see how he goes, they don't need red meat!

My Ruby's allergic to chicken AND eggs. :laugh:

We still have nothing she's okay with except fish and sweet potato. We've now tried chicken, eggs, yoghurt, canola oil and all have produced an allergic response. Just to be sure I gave her yoghurt only for breakfast yesterday and when I got home, she had hives all over and had been scratching just behind her right front leg (the most itchy place she seems to have apart from her face/head).

Dogs need a varied diet and IMO the less processed, the better. But that doesn't stop allergic responses if the raw ingredients are the cause. It's highly likely that the dry food and its ingredients is to blame but if the culprit is chicken, switching to raw chicken won't help. If the culprit is also beef, then raw beef won't help. Many dogs react to lamb but just as many react to chicken, beef or pork. And many more react to preservatives, cereals, grains and vegetables. :)

An elimination diet, properly supervised, is the only way to determine what food/s, if any, cause an allergic response in the dog. A vet visit is clearly in order prior to starting down this path.