Puppy Pens

Sankari

Does anyone know of a cheaper way than getting a Puppy pen. I looked on ebay and they're pretty expensive. I will be getting a Golden Retriever puppy end of September/early October and want to find a cheaper way of confining him. I havent used crates/pens from puppyhood so am a newbie at this. I have one 4yr old GR and she had a crate for most of this year never had her in one prior to that.

Any suggestions of who has cheap pens or a way to make a cheap one. I have plenty of time on my hands to be able to make things.

Much appreciated.

go to Bunnings and then go to the compost bin aisle. there you will find compost bins that are made out of wire and they are flat packs.

use the compost bin sides as the pen. buy as many as you need to make the size of pen that you want.

also, do a search on this forum as there are lots of threads with the bunnings compost bin solution and some even have pics.

i bought 2 and they are great and they are under $30 for one so for $60 i had a huge puppy pen.

best of all, when you are finished using it as a puppy pen, they can be used for their original purpose.......compost bins

i bought a huge pen for $90 including postage from deals direct. i love it.

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/octagonal-...196cm-diameter/

pretty damn strong.

8f34d3d95015fee756bbf836338bf98e_1.jpeg

Keep your animals happy when staying with friends, traveling or going to pet shows with this superior quality Octagonal Animal Playpen. Built to last, this 8 panel design features an easy access gate and an attachable mesh cover. With plenty of space for your pet to move about, this playpen is also ideal for pregnant or sick animals, when guests bring their pets and much more. Keep your animals happy and safe!

FEATURES:

* Octagonal Animal Playpen.

* A portable caged area for your pets.

* Great for pet shows, travel, staying with friends or any time you need a specific space for your pets.

* Excellent if you need to isolate an animal from others due to pregnancy etc.

* Includes clip on mesh cover.

* 8 panels with easy access gate.

* High quality metal manufacture.

* Suitable for cats, dogs and other animals.

* Galvanised steel with 2.7 x 3.8mm thickness. No sharp edges.

* Weight: 12kg.

* Diameter: 196cm.

* Each panel measures 88cm high x 77cm wide.

:)

Extra pictures:

Click here to see a photo of the gate on the pen..

Click here to see a photo of the mesh covering and top pins..

Click here to see it housing small pets..

Click here to see it inside, and shaped differently..

I'm fairly sure JulesLuvsCavs has this same pen, I am pretty sure it was her showing it off too :eat:

Edited by Bonnie Parker

I also have the puppy pen above, $60 special, but it may be too light for a big dog. Ok outside with tent pegs.

My toy poodle kept jumping & the pen moved about a lot, bit unnerving with pups in it.

Some salvage places have metal panels similar to the ones from Bunnings that are a bit heavier & higher that can be joined in the same way.

I also picked up a crate that came from the back of a ute. Its about 3.5 x 4.5 feet & 4 foot high. Great sturdy puppy pen.

Both suggestions are really good. At this stage think i'll go for the bunnings compost bins idea as it will not be used for the puppy for a long period, once puppy is too big/doesnt need it the rabbits will have it.

Crazy Clarks had 3m circumference, 70cm (about) high pens for $30 just a few weeks ago. Not very heavy so probably not much use for a Golden but just thought I'd mention it - probably should have have mentioned it a few weeks ago :)

We got the Bunnings panels (Garden Waste Crate) yesterday. The panels are roughly 70cm x 90cms and you can attach as many or as few packs as you like. I currently have 11(!) panels attached together but I have decided that is too many, it becomes a little unstable. I'll probably ramp it back to 8 or 9. Oh, and you can have them on either end, so 70cms tall or 90cms tall - bonus!

We got the Bunnings panels (Garden Waste Crate) yesterday. The panels are roughly 70cm x 90cms and you can attach as many or as few packs as you like. I currently have 11(!) panels attached together but I have decided that is too many, it becomes a little unstable. I'll probably ramp it back to 8 or 9. Oh, and you can have them on either end, so 70cms tall or 90cms tall - bonus!

you can make it more stable by banging in stakes or tent pegs.

I have several of them along the size of the house for the rabbit run and found a stake made it secure enough for him. Maybe a few stakes for the dogs.

It is bigger than this now including his large hutch not shown.

007.jpg

That's a great idea, and I'll definitely do that if I use them outdoors, but I've set mine up in the sunroom and had a giggle about banging tent pegs into the carpet :(

That's a great idea, and I'll definitely do that if I use them outdoors, but I've set mine up in the sunroom and had a giggle about banging tent pegs into the carpet :(

:) oops - maybe heavy duty tape or wedge it in between furniture might be a better option. :eek:

I finally found these bunnings cages yesterday! They are brilliant! I bought the last two sets, and I've used one to split the dog run outside in half so that the cavs can have relief from pup, and the other is set up inside as a puppy pen. Means I can use my c-crate secura pen just for agility. Great system :(

Both suggestions are really good. At this stage think i'll go for the bunnings compost bins idea as it will not be used for the puppy for a long period, once puppy is too big/doesnt need it the rabbits will have it.

Good luck with whatever one you get LC. Congratulations on the coming pup! Best of Luck with your new bub and your brother's future Rotty.

:happydance:

Highly recommend the BUnnings Compost Crates. We used two flat packs to make a run for 8 Lab puppies, and they used it until they were 9 weeks old. To make it a bit stronger I also bought some of BUnnings' green rose stakes, not the really long ones, and did the following.

USe two sections of compost crates, buy some curtain rings form Bunnings (like a split ring) and use the curtain ring to join the two sections. This creates a corner so you can turn the pen around a bend if you need to. It also gives you a point where you can drive the rose stake down the centre of the curtain ring and this is a strong point in your fence.

I know that rambles, but does it make sense? If not I will try and post a photo for you .

• 2 weeks later...

If you search DOL for the threads, you'll find the actual stock numbers which may help you to locate them. Or you could search the Bunnings website and get the stock number from there, that's what I did.

As for the puppy escaping....buy another and use it to make a lid! :cry: