Stupid Question

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what you would do if your discovered your little pug puppy had eaten a 1/4 tablet of codiene (sp) from your hand bag?

A lady I work with told me this morning that her puppy (8 months old) ate the 1/4 tablet and started to throw up last night. The puppy hadn't stopped throwing up at bedtime so she locked it out of the bedroom as she didn't want it to throw up on her bed.

I asked if she had called a vet for advise and she said no. I asked if the puppy had drunk anything and she said no. The puppy didn't eat its breakfast this morning either.

Is it just me or is this lady an idiot? First thing I would have done is call either my own vet or the emergency vets and ask what I should do and if its deadly. She has left this dog at home alone while she's at work. It all happened last night and she isn't the slightest bit concerned. Am I over reacting or is she not reacting enough?

Poor pup :cheer:

I think codeine can be used in dogs- but obviously as it is an opiate- it can be very dangerous unless proper dosage rates are applied

Hopefully the pup has recovered- and/or seen a vet.

The woman in question needs some educating :cheer::sick:

Her pup could be dangerously ill. She should have taken the pup to the vet as soon as she realised. If the pup is throwing up and not drinking then at the very least it's going to be dehydrated.

Yes, she's an idiot.

Poor little puppy - I would be beside myself with worry.

I know that you can give asprin and disprin to an adult dog in certain circumstances, but I have never heard of Codeine being given - let alone to a pup.

I would be getting the poor little thing to a vet asap otherwise she might not have a puppy when she gets home.

Poor little puppy - I would be beside myself with worry.

I know that you can give asprin and disprin to an adult dog in certain circumstances, but I have never heard of Codeine being given - let alone to a pup.

I would be getting the poor little thing to a vet asap otherwise she might not have a puppy when she gets home.

Are you serious? i always thought/ was told that aspirin kills dogs... even the slightest amounts?

I'm always paranoid as my other half will drink aspirin and then leave the glass on the bench. I'm come along behind him so lizzy doesn't jump on the bench and lick the glass!

I thought that was a big NO!!!?

Are you serious? i always thought/ was told that aspirin kills dogs... even the slightest amounts?

I'm always paranoid as my other half will drink aspirin and then leave the glass on the bench. I'm come along behind him so lizzy doesn't jump on the bench and lick the glass!

I thought that was a big NO!!!?

I know it kills cats, but after taking my girl to a very well know chiro in Sydney, he always used to tell me to give her either 1/2 an asprin or 1/2 a disprin with her food that night. He said it was pain relief and to ensure that the blood flowed well. I did what he said and it never seemed to harm her. Not that I would do it as a rule of course and certainly not with a puppy.

She's finally called her vet. He's told her to bring the puppy in as soon as possible. Her reply "well i'm coming tomorrow anyway with my cat, can i just bring the puppy then?" The vet went off (i could hear the vet having a spac attack through the phone). She's going tonight.

I just did something really awful. I asked her if she actually expected her puppy to be alive when she got home. She's just asked if she can leave work now.

Stupid ............ :thumbsup::laugh:

She's finally called her vet. He's told her to bring the puppy in as soon as possible. Her reply "well i'm coming tomorrow anyway with my cat, can i just bring the puppy then?" The vet went off (i could hear the vet having a spac attack through the phone). She's going tonight.

I just did something really awful. I asked her if she actually expected her puppy to be alive when she got home. She's just asked if she can leave work now.

Good on you. You brought it to her attention the reality of what could possible be. (Hopefully not tho)

I was actually going to suggest you ask that. It's not awful, it's actually a good question.

I think I would have phoned my own vet as soon as she told me the story (if she refused to call her own at that time) to ask about the affects of a dog that size taking that drug.

I recall a time when my parent's Golden Retriever (Max) collapsed on the back verandah one morning about 7:30am. Mum had him straight into the vet. After some testing, the vet said his educated guess was that someone must have thrown a hash cookie over the back fence (there is a lane behind the house) and that Max being Max, he must have gobbled it up. He was very lucky that he was a fully grown adult and not a puppy- it almost killed the poor little guy. Got him home that night. He could barely walk and any water he tried to drink from his bowl just dribbled out of his mouth. Sasha, his daughter, was beside herself with worry (you could easily tell) and was extremely gentle with him. They normally play around inside of a night but she just lay beside him. Next morning he was much better (we kept them both in the laundry that night so Max could be warm and comfy. Sasha stayed with him for company. Only other problem with Max was when he was stung on the snout by a bee or wasp. He was incredibly swollen, dragging his face along the concrete. Took him straight to the vet and got antihistamines in him and he was fine a few hours later.