17wk Old Needs To Be Crated For 2 Wks :(

raffikki

oh you poor thing its really tough when they wont stop crying the first couple days i got Harlo she just constantly cried and screamed, she would just follow me around crying and then i was so exhausted i would end up crying and we would both sit togther and cry, the pathetic things we were!

it will get better, they are just getting used to a different routine. stick it out another 3 days and it should all be ok. just try and keep rhino distracted with kongs etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another 3 days??? I'll be in an asylum by then :rofl::cry:

Seriously though....I do know it can only get better.

Rhino has been shocking most of the day, screaming, but around 3 he realized he wasn't getting anywhere and occupied himself by burying his raw hide chew, digging it up, moving it, burying it again. It was really cute to watch and actually made me giggle.

Electra has been better, she cries for a while(actually getting a little louder :) ) but then settling down not long after.

She gets frustrated when her chew goes under the collar, but is slowly working out how to get it back :p

I'm going to ask the vet tomorrow about a mild sedative for Rhino, and maybe Electra. To help him/them adjust.

The weather is starting to get bad ;) so I think I'll be in for another shocking day tomorrow

LOL Anne that pic u posted makes them both look as those butter wouldnt melt in their mouths lol But I know better!! I never forget the fuss Rhino put up when i had to leave him at the airport lol noisy bugger....

If it gets too much for you see if u can leave Rhino with a friend for a few days, they wont get any rest but you might lol.

amstaffchick, when I went to see my neighbours yesterday to explain and apologize for the screaming, the old lady next door offered to take him for a while, but I couldn't do it to them. I don't think they realize how loud it is when your so close :birthday:

Thanks Missymoo :whee: I'm trying and think we're getting there :birthday:

I'm still trying to work out how to keep Rhino happy :party:

He's restless and loud, and only takes interest in things for short periods (including me!) he really misses being able to play with her. :party:

Electra on the other hand seems to be coping quite well......so far.

She has her moments of crying but on the whole seems happy watching TV

Though last night she woke just before I was due to get up(at 1am) to let her have a wee, her crying woke me but I was too late in getting to her and she weed in the crate :party:

Rhino did do his usual screaming knowing I was up, but settled down in less than 10 minutes.

All was quiet this morning, and I got to sleep in till 6am :laugh:

He's been crying in dribs and drabs but compared to yesterday it's a huge improvement!

Glad to hear you got a lie in, although 6am in my house is still pretty early! :laugh:

I'm not sure if I'm off the mark here, cause I've never had a puppy, but maybe you could take this opportunity to teach Rhino and Electra to be ok apart? So you don't end up with a dog that does this when you take his bestie out for a walk and leave him behind!!

OMG ruthless...that would have been a nightmare! And a fear of mine.

I am trying to "teach" them but am not really sure HOW :birthday:

I am praising him heaps when he's quiet, playing with him, taking him for his daily short walk.....I'm not sure what else to do :laugh:

I'm not sure if I'm off the mark here, cause I've never had a puppy, but maybe you could take this opportunity to teach Rhino and Electra to be ok apart? So you don't end up with a dog that does this when you take his bestie out for a walk and leave him behind!!

Well.....Electra got her pain patch off today and the vet that I saw, told me he won't give even mild sedatives to puppies :)

He said that even though it works in the short term, it also has ramifications?

I didn't really go into it with him, I could tell he was totally against it.

He did mention a vitamin B supplement(sp?) that has something in it that can cause a calming affect, but also said he's not keen to give it to pups.

I am hoping that the anti inflammatories(sp?) she's on will be enough for her.

If I think she's in any kind of pain I'll ring and ask to speak to the vet I originally saw, and who did the operation.

I didn't get a smaller Elizabethan collar either :)

The vet said that because she can get her nose to the end of the one she's wearing now, anything smaller she'll be able to chew at her stitches :(

She struggles to chew toys and raw hides cause when she's laying down the collar digs into her neck :(

I have tied the raw hide to the side of the crate with a long shoe lace so she can get to it easier :mad :mad

She's still pulling on my heart strings, after I've spent time with her, had cuddles etc and then leave the room, she cries(sort of a half howl, half moan)

I want so much to go back in there and comfort her, but I know that would not be good for her learning how to cope :)

On a brighter note I have figured a way to keep Rhino happy.

Though it's not an ideal fix, it is keeping the place quiet for now!

As long as the back door is propped open, he's quite happy to play, sleep explore the back yard.

The way my house is set up...their room has the back door in it, then there's another door into the laundry, and then there's the kitchen(where I spend most my time)

I can shut the door in between the laundry and back room, he's happy as long as the very back door isn't closed.

I know, he's not very bright :) but he's quiet and I can control where he is :love: (providing the weather holds out)

This is just an idea but when my pup was desexed and had an Elizabethan collar we got some of the Rescue Remedy drops just to calm her a bit - put some in her water and she licked some from my hand when offered

Australian Bush Flower Essences - Emergency Essence

Shellectra, Thanks :o

They ARE getting better everyday, and Electra seems very calm considering she was really hyper before this happened.

Kelpiepupmum, Thank you as well :)

I will look into that :crossfingers:

Now for another problem :)

While at the vet, I was a little worried that Electra hadn't poohed for 24 hrs.

The vet told me not to worry too much, he said that because she's crated "things" will move more slowly and advised me to just keep an eye on her. If she didn't go for another day to give them a ring.

Anyway...on the way home she started to cry, I thought maybe she was just upset because the crate she was in was smaller then the one at home.

Seconds later she was poohing :laugh:

Tonight she woke me up just after 11pm crying, I went straight to her but was too late, she had poohed again, in the crate.

Has anybody got any advise for me to work out her new timetable?

She gets breakfast at 7am and dinner at 7pm.

It's sort of tough because before this happened I'd get them playing for a bit and the running around would get "things" moving, but now because she's kept quiet it seems there's no pattern to follow ;)

I have reduced the raw chicken she gets because it makes her pooh very firm and I figured it'd be easier for her to not have to strain to go.

She now gets just over 1 cup of dry in the morning and the same for dinner with a bit of chicken mince(minced frames) mixed in.

On a plus, I have stayed up and took her out again at 1am and she did wees :)

Well it's been pretty good here over the last few days...Rhino has learned not to scream :laugh: and Electra was peaceful.

That is until last night :D

She's started to get really frustrated being crated and has started to dig pretty energetically in her bedding.

She also chewed at the bars of the crate, it was hard to see her like that :)

I bought some rescue remedy and started a thread in the health section about dosage etc.

I gave her a couple of drops last night when she was at a stage where she wouldn't/couldn't be still.

Her cry was completely different, more of a desperate sound :love: (she had been fed, toileted and we were all in the same room with her)

She did settle eventually but I think it was more out of exhaustion :)

Though she started good this morning, she soon began the digging again :rofl:

It's almost like she's trying to dig her way out.

My tears have started again....I'm so sad for her and worried she may even hurt herself.

I have been advised to cut her meals right back, so she doesnt have as much energy to burn, and give her more treats during the day to chew on to keep her busy.

Has anyone got any more ideas for us?

I can't imagine how the next weeks going to go, and another 2 of gentle exercise(which may mean more time in the crate too) :)

I have been advised to cut her meals right back, so she doesnt have as much energy to burn,

Ermmm a hungry pup will NOT settle :love: A full belly is conducive to a resting state .

Ok where is her crate? If she is in a separate room..............

I would strongly advise getting another crate- or moving hers around to be where you are.

If she can see/smell you, she will be much more settled. Just don't talk to her all the time,..this has to be the 'new NORMAL' and have the crate semi covered. feed all her meals in a treat ball or kong... and maybe have her with you on a short leash.. lying down, when you are sitting somewhere without the other dog around..... do NOT let her jump or put extra weight on the hind legs, tho - so no getting on furniture, etc.

It is up to you.

Don't feel sorry for her! use that energy to work out ways to provide her with interests!!!

The more you feel sorry for her- the more anxious she will get !!

keep up with the rescue remedy- When used, it has to be given frequently.. every 15 min or so to start with. Again- NO speaking- just open door- drop the stuff onto her gums/lips (not tongue) and close door. simple.

I can't imagine how the next weeks going to go,

yes, you CAN :)

You imagine her body healing- you imagine her resting and being calm- you imagine YOURSELF being calm and positive and powerful!

:laugh: It will happen !!

Edited by persephone

oh you poor thing i wish i had some ideas to help, but theres not much you can do. my girl is going in this thursday to be desexed and im already stressing how im going to keep her calm for 3 days, whilst stitches heal!

first thing that came to mind though is that rescue remedy can be used for humans too :thumbsup:

good luck and hopefully when shes better and running about soon it will all be a distant memory!

Thanks persephone :o

I think I may have just needed a straight minded person to remind me to stop stressing so much!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I took her to the vet cause I was a little concerned that the injured joint looked a bit more knobly than it did yesterday :) (She's fine :o )

They also gave me a paste that they said might help. It's called BEHAVE paste, and it says that it's a vitamin, mineral, amino acid supplement. "Administer paste preferably 24 hrs before and with in 4 hrs of exercise or travel" is what's written on the packet. The vet said it may have a calming affect on her?

He does not believe in the rescue remedy, as I guess some people don't :)

Ermmm a hungry pup will NOT settle :) A full belly is conducive to a resting state .

Yeah, I wondered about that, but on the other side I also thought is sort of made sense as she would be more interested in the chew toys/treats.

I'll do as you suggested and put her meals in kongs.

Ok where is her crate? If she is in a separate room..............

I would strongly advise getting another crate- or moving hers around to be where you are.

If she can see/smell you, she will be much more settled. Just don't talk to her all the time,..this has to be the 'new NORMAL' and have the crate semi covered. feed all her meals in a treat ball or kong... and maybe have her with you on a short leash.. lying down, when you are sitting somewhere without the other dog around..... do NOT let her jump or put extra weight on the hind legs, tho - so no getting on furniture, etc.

It is up to you.

Her crate is in the lounge room(with the TV on), but I do spend most of my time in the kitchen. I go in there when she's been quiet and is relaxed and take her out of the crate for short training sessions/trying to teach her tricks and then sit with her while she's relaxed. After some time she starts to get fidgety and wants to roll around and play, this is when I put her back in the crate.

I know I have to get her used to being quiet and settled out of the crate, but she was a whirl wind before this happened and I'm still`working on getting her to settle/not want to tear around.

Rhino has access to the kitchen most of the time, but I could rotate them. Or would moving her from one room to the other make things worse?

She sometimes gets excited to see him, so I only allow them to be in the same room when they are settled, in the afternoon/evenings

Don't feel sorry for her! use that energy to work out ways to provide her with interests!!!

The more you feel sorry for her- the more anxious she will get !!

keep up with the rescue remedy- When used, it has to be given frequently.. every 15 min or so to start with. Again- NO speaking- just open door- drop the stuff onto her gums/lips (not tongue) and close door. simple.

Will do this before I even try the BEHAVE paste!

yes, you CAN :o

You imagine her body healing- you imagine her resting and being calm- you imagine YOURSELF being calm and positive and powerful!

:) It will happen !!

Thanks again for all your advise :thumbsup:

I'll start working on me and my stressing!

Thanks to you too harlosmummy :thumbsup:

I found the first few days were reasonably good, except for the soft crying, which was heart breaking.

I'm sure your girl will be fine :)

oh you poor thing i wish i had some ideas to help, but theres not much you can do. my girl is going in this thursday to be desexed and im already stressing how im going to keep her calm for 3 days, whilst stitches heal!

first thing that came to mind though is that rescue remedy can be used for humans too :)

good luck and hopefully when shes better and running about soon it will all be a distant memory!

Hi rexiam, thanks :)

She gets her stitches out on Thursday, so I'm hoping it'll make it easier for her, being able to chew stuff more easily.

She loves to wrap her paws around the object she's chewing and at the moment I can only take off the collar when I can be with her cause she has shown great interest in the stitches :)

Right now I think she's asleep :)

All is quiet. I think the long wait/excitement at the vet tied her out.

Rhino has gotten much better, now he only screams if I've been out, he's in his crate when I'm away, and when I get home he goes nuts! I totally ignore him until he's quiet for more than 10 minutes and then he's very good and settled.

He's also getting really good when in the lounge room at night.

Last night when Electra was stressing, he went up to her and gently licked her nose, and laid up against her crate to try and settle her :thumbsup:

Well..the majority of yesterday afternoon went well, BUT about 40 minutes after her dinner(we were all in the same room, b/f, myself and Rhino. Rhino was snoozing peacefully and we were just watching TV.) she got super hyper and was tossing herself around the crate, digging in her bedding(and I mean really digging, with so much pent up energy) almost bouncing of the sides :)

This went on for at a guess 5 minutes(but seemed so much longer)

She stopped suddenly, looked straight at us and peed!

I have no idea what set her off :)

She'd been to the toilet and had done about 10 minutes worth of little training type things...like sit, lay, shake etc.

Before the outburst she seemed sleepy and content.

This morning she did the same thing, though not with as much vigor.

When she's in this "state" there's no getting her attention, it's like she's possessed :)

I have been giving her the rescue remedy, but am now thinking I should maybe try the BEHAVE paste the vet suggested?

Edited by raffikki