Central Asian Shepherd Dog

Troy

Do you mean of their territory or stock?

I'd say stock would need some training (not to chase them etc) but to protect would be instinct which comes with maturity - which is the same for any breed with the drive to protect.

Hopefully Lilli will correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise try the Breed Sub Forums and look for the thread called Livestock Guardians.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kar have you got a pic of Akida :D They have a naturally strong instinct which gets stronger with age, all LGD breeds have different breed traits. I second Clyde's recommendation about going into the breed thread, I can't express the importance of building a good relationship with your breeder as they are the best source of advice with this breed

I have the honor of owning a beautiful 6month old Central Asian Shepherd pup named Akida, she is a dark brown with smokey grey bits in some areas and a white chest.

This is a bit of a stupid question, does their guardian instincts come naturally or do they need some training?

The instinct to guard should come naturally.

Training / raising shows the dog how to direct this behaviour. But the basic instinct to guard is inherent.

At 6 months I'd expect CAS to exhibit guarding behaviour.

What is it that Akida does or doesn't do?

NB: By dark brown I am guessing you mean red???

Akida likes to chase the chooks, and I am not sure what approach to take? She is fine with the horses, cattle, etc

She is more black rather then dark brown but she has reddish tinge in her fur though.

If you purchased Akida from a person selling puppies for $700-$800

and advertised in the trading post/gumtee and a few other online sources a couple of months ago -

the puppies were not Central Asian Shepherds.

The puppies were Central Asian Shepherd X Maremma or Anatolian.

Otherwise,

have you discussed your situation with the breeder of Akida?

Edited by lilli

• 2 weeks later...

I know she is a purebred. Our old pug cross loved to chase and eat chooks, I do believe that is were she learnt it from. How do I get her out of it?

Kazza, your breeder may have had similar issues so they will be the best person to speak to.

• 10 months later...

Now that my puppy is all grown up, she doesn't look like a pure bred Central Asian Shepherd at all. The people I got her from had a male Macedonian shepherd, her mother was seemed like a pure bred Central Asian Shepherd so I am wondering if that Macedonian shepherd is my dog's father. She is a fantastic dog, although she chases chickens if they run and is doing a good job guarding the house and the yard.

Edited by Kazzza

Now that my puppy is all grown up, she doesn't look like a pure bred Central Asian Shepherd at all. The people I got her from had a male Macedonian shepherd, her mother was seemed like a pure bred Central Asian Shepherd so I am wondering if that Macedonian shepherd is my dog's father. She is a fantastic dog, although she chases chickens if they run and is doing a good job guarding the house and the yard.

Gotta hate those "told ya so" moments ;)

Gotta hate those "told ya so" moments ;)

)

Hahaha yes! Doesn't matter anyway, she is a quirky dog :)

Gorgeous dogs, are they barkers like the maremmas and pyrs?

It's dusk here -

and you cannot hear Brasco barking? :laugh: :)

Some are barkers some are not, of course it depends on what they are barking at ... CAS are a lot more reactive than maremmas and pyrs. Generally CAS bark and run forward.

I guess the things to know about CAS, are they really do mean it when they bark, and they will use physical force to make their point.

You will be hard pressed to introduce an adult dog to an adult CAS on the CAS' territory and not see a reaction from the CAS; with some CAS this can be applied to anywhere. CAS also mean it when they get in an altercation, so you have to keep this in mind wrt other dogs.

A mature CAS will generally not accept your friends and family, no matter how regularly they visit. Of course, they may be nice as pie while their owner is nearby and have their cutest bear face on, but dont be deceived - according to the CAS you are in their owner's residence by grace only, and this can be removed immediately.

A CAS living well in the suburbs is the exception not the norm.

Before the FCI tweaked the breed standard to make it more PC, the temperament summary read: active defense.

imo that is accurate.

Edited by lilli

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...