Tracking

Huge contratulations Kathq for your TD 6 pass....well done :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, can't believe we're up to a 7 already :). Guess we had better do some practice for those starts. Feels like its come in a rush

A friend just found this on Google Play - thought I would share here as I'm sure some of you will get as excited as me about it!

Dog Tracks - Android Apps on Google Play

I have been talking for ages about how awesome it would be to have a tracking app integrated with a map, and apparently this one is just that! Supposedly using the GPS on your phone it draws a line on a map showing where you laid a track and where you put the articles, how long it took you to lay it, etc. Then it draws a 2nd line when your dog is tracking and marks the articles they indicate.

Waiting to hear how it works for my friend before buying it, but it looks very cool - particularly if you're out laying tracks for multiple dogs and tracking at all different times.

Edited by DiscoDobe

A friend just found this on Google Play - thought I would share here as I'm sure some of you will get as excited as me about it!

I have been talking for ages about how awesome it would be to have a tracking app integrated with a map, and apparently this one is just that! Supposedly using the GPS on your phone it draws a line on a map showing where you laid a track and where you put the articles, how long it took you to lay it, etc. Then it draws a 2nd line when your dog is tracking and marks the articles they indicate.

Waiting to hear how it works for my friend before buying it, but it looks very cool - particularly if you're out laying tracks for multiple dogs and tracking at all different times.

That app would be fantastic. couldn't find it on iPhone but just downloaded this one instead

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/track-notes/id574205805?mt=8

Doesn't have the maps, but still good for record keeping smile.gif

Coco passed her TD 6 this morning. Pixie dance all round still can't believe it!!!

Congratulations everyone :thumbsup: Pele and I passed track 3 at the weekend and have our TD title :cheer:

thumbsup1.gifWell done to both of you. biggrin.gif

That app would be fantastic. couldn't find it on iPhone but just downloaded this one instead

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/track-notes/id574205805?mt=8

Doesn't have the maps, but still good for record keeping smile.gif

The iphone version of that is due to be released later on this year :)

I might buy it tomorrow and test it out :thumbsup:

I love the sound of that tracking app. It would be so useful especially when you end up detouring from the original idea of a track due to discoveries of hazards when actually laying it & with more than one dog to do at a time. I am going to go & check it out further. Thanks for the "heads up". Actually I have just given into temptation & bought it. Will post on how it goes..

Edited by afkar

• 2 weeks later...

She finally did it!!!! After two years and several health and training setbacks I got my first Tracking Champion yesterday!!!! Dyson also completed his test 4 yesterday. Two for two :-) it was a very good day.

It was a day for the black labs at the GSD trial yesterday with 7 in total, 5 entered and 4 passes. Good luck to all those competing today.

She finally did it!!!! After two years and several health and training setbacks I got my first Tracking Champion yesterday!!!! Dyson also completed his test 4 yesterday. Two for two :-) it was a very good day.

It was a day for the black labs at the GSD trial yesterday with 7 in total, 5 entered and 4 passes. Good luck to all those competing today.

Awesome!!! Huge congrats!! How was your final track? :D

WELL DONE!! So pleased for you. cheer.gif What a road it has been for you! Well done for keeping on working!

I have been slack with tracking training lately - there hasn't been much to work towards and obedience/agility took precedence! We will have our first working trial in November though, with a UD-level track, so we should really get to work on fine-tuning our tracking.

Any ideas for upping accuracy in our tracks? I am confident that Elsie can get around a UD track, but will lose marks for a bit of casting and for going wide on corners. I want to aim for high in trial! Short grass? Long grass? Lots of food? Track into the wind? Long straights? Lots of corners? Help meeee!

Awesome!!! Huge congrats!! How was your final track? :D

WELL DONE!! So pleased for you. cheer.gif What a road it has been for you! Well done for keeping on working!

Thanks. :champagne:

DD - we were in a paddock with a huge number of sheep body parts. She started off really really well she even picked up the bag with the article before I'd opened it and was headed off to the start! Once I'd got her back and let her sniff it she just headed straight out. First corner was a bit of a mess. She found a sheep leg (which I initially thought was an article until I looked closer :eek: ) then kept wanting to go back to finish it. I screwed up and didn't trust her indication at the corner, she indicated it a few times and I had a fairly good idea it went left but she was also pulling hard to go right (back to the first lamb leg) and there were bits of carcass I could see to the left too so I wasn't sure that she was tracking - hindsight tells me I should have gone with it anyway. The rest went really smoothly.

Congratulations!!!! What an awesome weekend.

We had our first go at a 7 this weekend and for about 1180 meters she was brilliant then 20 meters before the hide in the middle of a herd of cows she did a hard left and kept going. I couldn't see the tracklayer either. Gut wrenching is about the best way to describe it when called back by the judge and pointed out the hide :( will take a few days to get my head around it I think