Please Have Diesel In Your Thoughts

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a few months, it was such a crazy few months before then, that I just needed to catch up on life.

Here is the full story if anyone is interested http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...Weisel&st=0

Diesel came home from QLD and things have been going sooooooo well, I've had my Diesel back! His hair isn't really growing back, but apart from that he's been looking great. Mid last week his bottom jaw started to drop, now as well as his jaw his right eye is nearly closed. His excessive thirst is back, and he finds it difficult to pick up his food with his jaw, so he is having mushy food twice a day and water out of a deep bowl so he can put his whole muzzle in.

Tests on Friday confirmed that he does have cushings, very high levels came back. The worrying thing is that the nerve that links to his jaw is near the pituitary gland (where his tumor was/is) so we're worried the tumor is growing again. If the tumor is growing again, there is nothing more that we can do :laugh: I just hope somehow it's not related (stranger things have happened so far!)

He today started on a half dose of Trilostane 60mg, last time before he went to QLD he was on 120mg. The previous time his health declined VERY rapidly, beacuse of the tumor, so I am really worried the same thing will happen now (if the tumor hasn't shrunk). So all I can do is wait and see, I hate been here again, feeling so helpless.

Last time I was going through this everyone on here were my greatest support, for that I thank you sooooo much, and if you could think of him, as he needs all the strength he can get, one more miracle please!

xox

Edited by DieselWeisel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the well wishes all xx

Puggy - I am not going to get another scan done, if the tumor hasn't shrunk, his health will decline really quickly and there aren't any more options. If it has shrunk his health will continue to improve or at least maintain, the scan costs $1800, if it was going to benefit him, no probs, but not going to at this stage.

Good news though, Diesel started on 60mg trilostane on Tuesday and he hasn't gotten any worse since, he is in good spirits, so maybe it is the cushings causing problems, and not the tumor. Just taking it one day at a time...

Hi Puggy,

Basically if the tumor hasn't shrunk and begins to swell again, he will decline very rapidly (as previously) and the seizures would start again. As long as he is not having those symptons we assume it has shrunk. It's hard beacuse his case is very very unusual, hasn't been another one like it in Aus (to any of my vets knowledge) so it's all a bit of trial and error...

He was playing with his ball today, good sign :rofl:

Got everything crossed here for your boy it's terrible for both of you to have to go through all this :rofl:

You can create a photobucket account (it's free) then use the upload button to browse for the pic which will then upload to the site then once you are there you copy the url and when you post here click on the little picture icon it will ask you to paste the url and hopefully your pics will show in your post :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

For anyone who was following Diesel's story, just thought I would update you with his progress. Pretty much just after I posted the photos he had his first seizure since he'd been in QLD. Then last tues he had a 3 min seizure, and now he is having small ones frequently. The good news is, that his cushings medicine is working 100%! But his tumor although must have shrunk, is still affecting him.

Today he went to get off the couch and he fell down and his back legs went out the side and he just stayed there, scared me so much :(I took him to our vets today and he gave me some Valium, and when he got home he started to have small seizures, I gave him one tablet at 1:50pm and he is going great now, still following me around the house, but obviously more comfortable, lots of stretches and yawns and NO seizures, YAY!

Lots of ups and downs, it's so strange beacuse he is full of energy on walks (as you can see from photos) his hair has grown back on his legs (but nowhere else), he seems in good spirits and his Trilostane is managing the cushings 100%... so strange that he is having seizures again. But then again, his whole experience thus far has been a crazy and unique one.

He's still fighting though, Diesel the Wonder Dog!!

Good to hear he's still fighting, he may tire more easily than he used to which could be causing the seizures. My dad was left with epilepsy from brain tumors and he tires very easily and has more seizures when he is tired as well so it could just be that his walks may be tiring him more than they used to I would try making them a bit shorter and make sure he gets plenty of rest. :laugh:

DW, good to see that there is some positive news for Diesel.

I have found that Cushings is a roller coaster ride of a disease. Doesn't seem to get any easier... but as long as it's manageable we keep on going :laugh:

Loraine, Cushings really eats away at the muscle? Over what kind of period before the muscle is totally eaten away? And is it painful? The reason I ask is that I notice Chloe's face in particular is sinking in and hollowing out... and her legs do seem a bit weaker these days... could this be due to her muscles being eaten away already? :clap: