Kibble Help

Jessm

My little hoover is getting a big mouth now and his current kibble is too small, when he eats it he vaccuums it down and often has a bit of a cough because they just go down whole (if i'm making sence) so i'm just looking for something with a bit bigger kibble size, and don't want to spend a fortune trying out all the brands, so i'm just asking a favour, what do you use and how big is the kibble? Is large breed puppy kibble bigger in size? Thanks in advance.

Can't comment on whether large breed puppy is bigger in size or not, but it IS different in formulation - it is meant for the different growth needs of large breed puppies, not the bigger mouth size, it isn't suitable for small breed puppies.

Go to any decent pet supply shop and they (should!) be able to show you the different sizes of dry food.

If you add mince, sardines, grated cheese etc this could help the problem too

I've been to the produce store here, which is closest and has the biggest range, and they don't have any samples and can't help me- rather, don't want to. They were quiet rude. So I resorted to here, as so many people use the different brands I thought there would be a lot of varying responses.

Yeh, I have a large breed dog, so I wouldn't have asked otherwise, I am following the breeders diet but the kibble he is on isn't for large breed dogs, so I just thought if they were larger in size it wouldn't hurt to change him (sorry I am no good at explaining!)

He does get sardines in them once a week, which is oily and good to make them stick and him chew, I add an egg once a week aswell, but the other days it's just the kibble alone for brekky. I have been adding a bit of milk and/or cheese to help, but he just picks out the cheese or licks out the milk so it's becoming a waste of bikkies!

Thanks for the advice though. I will check out a larger pet store when I get out and about if I don't get any other helpful responses :thumbsup:

Yeh, I have a large breed dog, so I wouldn't have asked otherwise, I am following the breeders diet but the kibble he is on isn't for large breed dogs, so I just thought if they were larger in size it wouldn't hurt to change him (sorry I am no good at explaining!)

:thumbsup: Any particular reason he hasn't been on a large breed puppy formula prior to this. I don't use dry food all that much so don't know the ins and outs of it, but I always thought you started them off on it, not switched them later.

If you want to find the sizes and not getting any help - just go into the feed store and have a good poke and prod at the bags :D

Edited by Sandra777

I would not change my dog's dry food just on the basis of size. The only reason why I might change it, would be because of better quality ingredients.

If you are happy with the food you are feeding and sure it's appropriate for your dog (I for example would not feed regular puppy food to a large breed pup) than I would just consider persephone's awesome advice of using a treat ball.

I would not change my dog's dry food just on the basis of size. The only reason why I might change it, would be because of better quality ingredients.

Totally agree with this BUT in answer to your question, the Royal Canin Giant range has large kibble pieces specifically designed for big mouths. What breed is your pup?

;) Any particular reason he hasn't been on a large breed puppy formula prior to this. I don't use dry food all that much so don't know the ins and outs of it, but I always thought you started them off on it, not switched them later.

If you want to find the sizes and not getting any help - just go into the feed store and have a good poke and prod at the bags :p

The reason he hasn't been on it is just because i've been following the diet given to me by the breeder, and she said she used these bikkies and what not. I just thought she'd know best and it's what she fed so i've been following that.

And Persephone, his food is primarily raw, I just give him the bikkies for brekky as I am not confident yet feeding a full barf (i'm still getting my head around percentages and all that jaz ;) ) just because it's meat doesn't make him chew, the necks go down the same way they come out of the bag ;)

This boy never learnt to chew!

And yeh, this isn't the best food he could be on, so thought while i'm looking at changing him i'll look for something of a decent size aswell.

Change his bowl not his food - If it's just the speed a which he eats that has you concerned.

Something like this http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1437

Means they have to slow down and eat around objects.

You could also try LARGE polished stones placed on top of his food.

You then wash them after he has eaten, make sure they are large enough that he can not swallow them.

ETA more bowls

http://www.bowhouse.com.au/p/979906/slow-f...their-food.html

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1463

Edited by SwaY

If he is a large breed pup - I would suggest he doesn't get fed chicken necks..esp as he doesn't chew :D I worry about chicken necks getting stuck :)

feed him turkey necks/wings instead ;) bigger ,and if you freeze them.. MUST be chewed! ;)

Yeh no I stopped the necks when I realised he was growing out them, and changed him to carcasses and what not (have a brother who owns a butcher shop so we get lots of necessities at wholesale price :) )

And yup, a big lump of Bullmastiff :)

And thanks for the link to those bowls, I had heard of them, but hadn't seen anywhere to buy them and didn't know what they were called to search. :rofl: I've been on a shopping spree for the dogs this week so what's another :eek:

ETA: Out of those three bowls in the links, which would be best, or does it not really matter?

Edited by Jessm

what brand is your dog being fed on now? There are quite a few different brands that do breed specific and size specific foods. I know the royal canin giant breed kibble is about an inch across, so it is much bigger then the average size kibbles. Changing up kibble size will help to stop him choking on an inhaled kibble.