Great Barko

Pete.the.dog

$28 for 22kgs that's $1.27 per kg. Take off the cost of manufacture, packaging, transportation, profit etc and it tells me the ingredients have to be very poor quality cheap stuff that goes into making it. Can it possibly be good for any dog well I suppose some people must think if they're buying it!

Rubbish. Not all dog food producers want to make large profits by ripping off the consumer. A lot of people have been brain washed by "big business" that expensive MUST be better. If you don't pay big dollars for a small bag of dogfood you are a bad dog owner & not doing right for your dog. A lot of dogs are doing very well on Uncle Albers & Great Barko. Its not what people think its in the results.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to feed my GSD's Royal Canin, ProPlan etc etc - for the price i have found my boys do as well on Uncle Albers as they did on any of the others - and i feed less of it to keep my boys in condition. They have great coats - and after steering away from it for a while i am using it to get one of my dogs BACK INTO a good condition after he lost a lot of weight.

I have access to a lot of other foods on a weekly basis at work....but i still go out of my way, to another store, to buy Uncle Albers and at $29 for 22kgs it's great value, Aussie made and my dogs do wonderfully on it - i just wish they did a cat food to try my kitties on as they love to try and steal the kibble.

Hi,

I paid $39.99 for a 22Kg bag of Uncle Abners in Qld.

Roughly whereabouts are you Oakway?? I get mine from Rochedale Produce in Springwood near Ikea :laugh:

ETA - Longwhitecloud...why didn't you just feed less? My guys were putting on too much weight on it to start with because i was feeding them what i expected to feed as it was a cheaper product, so i cut them back to what i'd expect to feed them on a premium product then i cut them back a little further and now i know just how much to feed each of them - and no overweight issues anymore :laugh:

Edited by KitKat

our local stockist is happy to split the big bags into smaller bags - don't be afraid to ask if you are concerned

this also allows them to produce 2kg 'trial bags' that otherwise wouldn't occur unless a bag ruptured

regards

phil

ps

bobbi is definitely better on barko, she is energetic happy and her coat much improved

Roughly whereabouts are you Oakway?? I get mine from Rochedale Produce in Springwood near Ikea :laugh:

Hi,

I am at Rosewood.

Got the first bag from Pets Direct at River Link Shopping Centre Ipswich.

The second bag a friend picked up from Minden Produce and that was a dollar cheaper.

Looks like I'll be going to Rochedale when I visit Ikea. Thanks. :laugh:

My Staffy's like Great Barko and I did notice an improvement in their coat when moving from Eagle Pack.

I now feed Raw for the main meal and Barko is just a morning thing, but it is the only dry food they will eat consistently and even though it is not their main meal now, it seemed to work well for them.

They are only open until 2pm on Saturdays and they aren't open Sundays...just so you can plan your trip easier Oakway :o

Also if you email the company they will send you i think a 500gm sample pack of each from memory :o

Thanks for that.

Now I know where it is I will nick down at lunch time

I work at Paws and Whiskers in Gilmore Road not far from there.

Yes they (Manufactures) are very good I was speaking to the Qld. Rep last week trying to find out where

I could purchase it closer to me. Looks like it is closer to work. LOL.

Edited by oakway

Thanks for all your e-mails. Just thought I would follow up.

Pete wouldn't touch it.

He would eat a tiny little bit, I tried for a few days and he wouldn't go near it - so anyone in Adelaide who wants to pick up nearly 22kg of Great Barko PM me, you are welcome to it!

I went back to the supplier, and they gave me a trial bag of Coprice, and Pete won't touch it either. At my boyfriends he gobbled up the Pedigree, and in the past he is happy to eat that, home brand and Super coat. I'm really devastated, I was really looking forward to feeding him an SA manufactured food.

Thanks for all your e-mails. Just thought I would follow up.

Pete wouldn't touch it.

I asked at my local produce store and they won't carry it anymore. Between the 2 guys working there they had 6 dogs and not a single one would eat it. When I said I had heard nothing but good about it they said so had they but they didn't know of a single dog that would touch it.

Maybe the real basics of the problem is, owner puts food down,

dog goes and has a sniff and say's that's different and walks away.

Then we hear my dog won't eat it.

I mixed mine with the last of the Cop Rice to wean them onto it.

I didn't have problems but the dogs knew their something new in with it.

But then, I'm a tough old bird and just told the dogs to lump it or like it.

I also made a point of not putting out meaty bones and chicken frames

just to make sure they did eat it. Yeah I'm a meanie. :)

I've been feeding GB to my two for the past month or so and they seem to enjoy it but does anyone else notice how bad it smells?

I'm not sure if it's meant to smell like my bag does - really fishy. Is that the same for others or am i feeding my dogs off food?

I've been feeding GB to my two for the past month or so and they seem to enjoy it but does anyone else notice how bad it smells?

I'm not sure if it's meant to smell like my bag does - really fishy. Is that the same for others or am i feeding my dogs off food?

It does contain fish and fish by-products so it can be a bit fishy. Although I have to say, to me, it smells more like Cod Liver Oil than anything else. :laugh:

I feed Cobber Working Dog, Great Barko and Bonnie Working Dog. I just buy whatever I feel like at the time. :laugh: My dogs have always done really well on these brands. They have lovely shiney coats and normal poops. They are currently on Cobber and only get one cup each per day! They are 25kg adult dogs - don't think you can get better value than that!