Shiba Inu

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

I have been researching my next breed of dog and came across these little guys ..

There are a few breeders in Aust and I'm wondering if anyone has had much to do with them?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they aren't your typical lap dog, they are quite independant but incredibly lovely dogs. I do know a fantastic breeder here in WA and am lucky to have met many of his dogs and puppies.They all have a sweet nature but as I say that independant streak like mals and akitas.

I don't know if all would be like my friends Shiba Inu.

But they caused a lot of smiles at obedience. It was the recalls that did it as he was happy to stay. And stay! and stay. My friend would walk away fine but when she called the dog it would ignore her. Sometimes he would find it in his heart to stand up and wander over but in his own time.

I know maybe she wasn't the best trainer in the world but I think the dog was a challenge in some ways. Sweet tolerant dog thou.

When on the odd occasion the dog did return with slight enthusiasm, most others training would give a cheer.

Guest belgian.blue
Did some one say shiba? :D

DSCN0085-1.jpg

belgian.blue, you waaaaant one! you really want one!

Much prefer the black ones! But reading more about the breed, they may be a little too much work for a companion but possible a good mix with Ivy as she isn't overly independant :D

Depends on the dog. I was prepared for a high energy twisted manipulative monster when I got Loki and he is really laid back and placid. He is a little old man in a fur coat. Wylie on the other hand.......

Never liked the black ones at first. Its harder to find a really nice one but over the years they are growing on me. In fact, the next one is going to be a little black girl!

I have heard them described as the cat of the dog world, very independant and will only do things when and if they want.

I know the dog Skip spoke of and it was pretty funny cos when the dog school did demos they would have 3 dogs lined up, all three owners would walk about 15m away, the Shiba was always the one in the middle, the owners on the outside would call their dogs for a recall and the Shiba would do the stay while the others took off flying to their owners. It was made out that Foxxy had such a brilliant stay to be able to sit there while the other dogs took off, truth was you couldnt get the dog to move if you wanted to!!

Lovely dogs who can be very protective of their favourite member of the family. Our shiba, at times, used to bark to keep the kids away from me (at which he was promptly put in his place) :D . Very independent dogs who like to do things in their own time - Ashi also only like to be touched on his terms. If he came and sat with you, you were allowed to touch him, if you went over to pat him, he'd walk away. They also have their clown moments. I can remember a game of hide and seek that went on for about fifteen minutes with lots of bow-wowwing at me and the kids.

Glad you asked the question b.blue, as I am a little interested in these guys also (not for a very long time though). Was hoping they would come up in the 101 thread soon, but possibly not too many owners on here. They really are very beautiful.

They can be very cat like. Very clean and fastidious animals. Can shed hair like there is NO tomorrow. Can be very challenging to train as they definitely feel that you are there to do THEIR bidding and not the other way around. Oh and the Shiba scream is a noise to behold. Leadtraining a puppy can induce this and it is almost certainly guaranteed to have every neighbour or dog show person within kooee giving you filthy looks because you HAVE to be abusing that puppy for it to be making such an unGODly noise like that!

They can climb and are very good jumpers so good fences are essential.

I titled the first Australian-born male shiba, Ch Glendalin Kashiwagi San, born in quarantine a long, long time ago!

I absolutely love the look of Shibas, but due to their difficult nature I really don't think I have the patience/skills it takes to own one. :eek:

So I will just admire from afar.....

Ellz, the Glendalin shibas were stunning. I had seen them in the Darwin show scene before Arthur passed away.

I absolutely love the look of Shibas, but due to their difficult nature I really don't think I have the patience/skills it takes to own one. :eek:

So I will just admire from afar.....

Ellz, the Glendalin shibas were stunning. I had seen them in the Darwin show scene before Arthur passed away.

I'd love another but I think I'm too old and my patience has worn too thin! :eek:

Keiko (my boy) was from Arthur's first litter and from his first Japanese imported bitch. Yoshi was his first imported male from Japan (Ch Yoshizakura of Kenshu Ikeda Kensha was his registered name I think). I also had Keiko's sister Marko for a little while until she came into season and went back to Arthur to be mated.

My last Shiba was from Arthur's own breeding program under the prefix of Glendaline (not co-bred with Wally Rice before Wally left for the USA). He was a beautiful little boy...can't for the life of me remember his registered name but his call name was Mitti. I went to Melbourne to groom one of my American Cocker imports in quarantine and Arthur collected me from the boat, took me to quarantine and then sent me home with a new Shiba baby. He rode back to Hobart on the Redline bus, sitting on my knee and being spoiled by all of the other passengers! :thanks: