Pup Threw Up Brown/grey Sludge?

brigie bear

Hel all,

Just wondering if any of you had ever experienced this before... Earlier today our 6 months old Pom pup threw up when looked like grey/brown sludge... Like stool almost... It smelled absolutely foul and looked horrible - almost like diarrhea?

After she threw up she was totally fine though (before she threw up she was fine also) - this was a few hours ago. She has been happily playing all day and is behaving 100% normal. She went to the groomers at 3pm and now she's sort of squinting, but I am putting that down to water or soap irritating her eyes by mistake (was her first groomers experience). She's still acting normal, ate all of her dinner like always and is now playing in the living room. I didnt take her to the vets this arvo as hubby told me to wait a while and watch her behavior etc and she appeared to be totally fine.

Have any of you ever seen this before? Should I be worried and/or does she need to go to the vets tonight?

Thanks a million,

BB

My first thought was the same as erny! :laugh: (been there, done that)

Reason being- if it looks like faecal matter, smells like faecal matter..... :laugh:

However, any chance she has eaten her own faeces?..That particular snack is defiitely NOT pleasant when recycled :laugh::love:

Hopefully she is ok overnight... any more vomiting, diarrhoea/constipation, restlessness..phone your vet.

She seems totally fine! She did her regular poo last night, ate her dinner and her brekkie and has also done her morning poo this morning... No idea what it was but it was just awful... I'm still going to keep my eye on her during the day today just in case.

do you have a cat yourself or does a cat visit your yard? If your dog is passing its own poos then there is no blockage sounds like she just found some lovely poo, ate it and her stomach decided not to keep the little present :rofl:

Dogs with blockages will not be vomiting up their own whole fecal matter, the gastrointestinal tract has several sphincters to prevent backflow into the stomach and the movement of the gut pushed food forward, not back.

you can suspect a blockage if

- dog vomits constantly food, then bile, then nothing but clear mucus. They will eat a meal and it will bounce straight back up again

- cannot pass any more poo, dog can try then nothing come out

- cramped walk

- stomach ache, whining, laying down, looking generally uncomfortable

do you have a cat yourself or does a cat visit your yard? If your dog is passing its own poos then there is no blockage sounds like she just found some lovely poo, ate it and her stomach decided not to keep the little present :rofl:

Dogs with blockages will not be vomiting up their own whole fecal matter, the gastrointestinal tract has several sphincters to prevent backflow into the stomach and the movement of the gut pushed food forward, not back.

you can suspect a blockage if

- dog vomits constantly food, then bile, then nothing but clear mucus. They will eat a meal and it will bounce straight back up again

- cannot pass any more poo, dog can try then nothing come out

- cramped walk

- stomach ache, whining, laying down, looking generally uncomfortable

I dont have cats... But my neighbor has a cat who I am sure would come into my yard when I am not watching... Hmm... Very possible! She has also been known to take a sample of her own poo... but I monitor that and pick it up before she gets the chance, more than likely it was the cats. What a relief! When I saw it yesterday I was like "WOW, thats not right!" it was so awful!

I have a poo-eater here (will only eat the others though). There have been a couple of incidents when it hasnt agreed with him - it is truely revolting. The worst was when he threw it up all over our bed - on Xmas eve no less. I immediately took the doona to the drycleaners and apologised for what they were about to encounter :rofl:

I have a poo-eater here (will only eat the others though). There have been a couple of incidents when it hasnt agreed with him - it is truely revolting. The worst was when he threw it up all over our bed - on Xmas eve no less. I immediately took the doona to the drycleaners and apologised for what they were about to encounter :vomit:

I have a poo eater too and this is my greatest fear!!

Good to hear pup is fine.

Aaah yes, Kitty crunchies (or ot so crunchy if they're fresh ;) ) - some dogs love the taste - just shows how weird they are :vomit: . You'll know if yor dog has ben eating the cat poo when they come and give you a lovely good morning kiss - eeeeeew.

i too have a poo eater. When she was a puppy she used to eat her own. The sicko!

But now she eats our neighbours cats poo. We had alot of dirt areas and the cats would always poo in it. But now we have layed rock over the dirt ares and it has stopped them from poopong in our yard!!!! thankgod!

Good to hear pup is fine.

Aaah yes, Kitty crunchies (or ot so crunchy if they're fresh ;) ) - some dogs love the taste - just shows how weird they are :vomit: . You'll know if yor dog has ben eating the cat poo when they come and give you a lovely good morning kiss - eeeeeew.

yep they have yucking smelly poop breath!!!

Ack! Just caught Ruby with come cat poo in her mouth from outside! I found the culprit! I ripped it out of her mouth so am sooo hoping she didnt get any down. I would NOT like another repeat of yesterday! Was truly one of the most disgusting things I have experienced!