Herding

Hi wondering if anyone could help me out, wish to learn herding with my BC pup she is 4 1/2mnths old at the moment and we live in Brissy and would like to know a little more she is showing a keen interest at helping pen my ducks and chooks at night already :(

I am from Adelaide so can't help you out with specifics of training whereabouts but I know there are a few places around Brisbane that offer herding training. This is 1 place that I have seen mentioned: http://www.workingsheepdogshow.com/

You could also try contacting the Border Collie Club of QLD - I know they run herding trials so would assume they have some info on who offers training and where.

Good luck, but beware - it is highly addicitive :rofl:

Edited by piper

I am from Adelaide so can't help you out with specifics of training whereabouts but I know there are a few places around Brisbane that offer herding training. This is 1 place that I have seen mentioned: http://www.workingsheepdogshow.com/

You could also try contacting the Border Collie Club of QLD - I know they run herding trials so would assume they have some info on who offers training and where.

Good luck, but beware - it is highly addicitive :laugh:

Thanks Piper hopefully will be able to get somewhere with those two contacts appreciated and I've finally found a phone number for BCCQ that works as well! :laugh: I look forward to it being addictive!

• 4 months later...

I see that this is a post from last year, but to be honest I am also having some problems finding out some contacts for people able to assist me in training my 14mth Kelpie in Herding. I know they have a Herding instinct test at KCC at the end of March, but I was kinda thinking about doing some training as well. I recently spent a weekend at Beloka Kelpie Stud with Paul MacPhail at Welshpool, which was absolutely awesome, but a 3 hours drive is absurd for training sessions. I live in Sunbury...does anyone know of anyone who can help me with training...please!

I see that this is a post from last year, but to be honest I am also having some problems finding out some contacts for people able to assist me in training my 14mth Kelpie in Herding. I know they have a Herding instinct test at KCC at the end of March, but I was kinda thinking about doing some training as well. I recently spent a weekend at Beloka Kelpie Stud with Paul MacPhail at Welshpool, which was absolutely awesome, but a 3 hours drive is absurd for training sessions. I live in Sunbury...does anyone know of anyone who can help me with training...please!

Kate Dourley runs herding clinics and gives private lessons. She is at Nyora which is probably still quite a drive for you. You can get her contact details from the Australian Shepherd Club website or look at the VicHerding website.

Kate Dourley runs herding clinics and gives private lessons. She is at Nyora which is probably still quite a drive for you. You can get her contact details from the Australian Shepherd Club website or look at the VicHerding website.

This is going to make me seem like a real herding tragic, read idiot :laugh:, but me & a friend are going to drive over to Kate's for a weekend of lessons in the near future, might not sound so bad but have a look at where I live. I really want to go because Kate works with soft eyed upright breeds, I'm having a problem with Izzi & the way she trains will hopefully be able to help, I'll be taking 4 dogs & she bred one of them so it'll be worth the trip.

Ooooh DogSportObsessed there is a person in Meadows that gives lessons but I have been a bit slack and also didn't really want to go by myself - maybe we could go together sometime :happydance: .

Any chance I can please have the details Ness? I rang a lady whos contact details were in the SACA journal not long ago to ask about herding. We ended up chatting about the Shar pei history of being a herding breed & how to have Shar pei recognised to compete but I completely forgot to get any details of anyone who gives private lessons :thumbsup:

Ooooh DogSportObsessed there is a person in Meadows that gives lessons but I have been a bit slack and also didn't really want to go by myself - maybe we could go together sometime :cry: .

Any chance I can please have the details Ness? I rang a lady whos contact details were in the SACA journal not long ago to ask about herding. We ended up chatting about the Shar pei history of being a herding breed & how to have Shar pei recognised to compete but I completely forgot to get any details of anyone who gives private lessons :)

I will PM you the phone number.

Shar Pei's were a herding breed? Did not know that 1. If you want to find out about getting them listed with the ANKC you could try contacting the rotty or samoyed people for information as both had succesful submissions for the addition of their breeds to the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 4Kelpies, Can you give me contact details for this. I have a friend who's interested. :)

There is a training day with Joe Spicer at Landsborough Recreation Reserve (north east of Ararat) this Sunday. Is this too far to travel?

• 3 weeks later...