Cool Collars?

Red Fox

Dexter currently is wearing his from the ebay link in this thread. He shook his head and it came off though :) Might have to have the tailor make it more secure.

Hi shmoo, just check that there is no hair or dirt caught up in the velcro of Dexter's Collar, and that is also plenty of overlap with the hook and loop. I have never seen or heard of one one come undone from a head shake. If all seems clear, just press the velcro together a little firmer with your fingers. If not enough overlap of the velcro, slide up the neck first and reattach.

Should be fine.

Edited by dyzney

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Morty has had his on this afternoon as a trial - it went on easily and he's not touched it since it went on so its obviously not annoying him or anything...

but ... is the velcro supposed to be at the back of the neck or the underside?

Morty has had his on this afternoon as a trial - it went on easily and he's not touched it since it went on so its obviously not annoying him or anything...

Hi Fiona. The velcro will naturally usually slip to the back because of the lack of weight in that section. And that is the best way for it to be worn. The veins that are closest to the skin are under the neck mostly, similarly to ours. The Collar will cool the blood in the veins as it flows near the surface of the skin.

Hi Fiona. The velcro will naturally usually slip to the back because of the lack of weight in that section. And that is the best way for it to be worn. The veins that are closest to the skin are under the neck mostly, similarly to ours. The Collar will cool the blood in the veins as it flows near the surface of the skin.

excellent - thats what I thought (and what was naturally occuring) but I wanted to be 100% certain

(oh and the red paisley one looks very very dapper! :) )

OT, but my eBay wont let me leave feedback. I've tried about 5 times already, I can type it in but then when I click on the 'leave feedback' button nothing happens :D Very odd and very annoying, anyone know how to fix it??

Back on topic- Kei's Polar collar is working extremly well in keeping him cool :thumbsup: (it's been 36-40 degrees here for the past 4 days!)

The mat however has been stolen by ME to keep cool :(

OT, but my eBay wont let me leave feedback. I've tried about 5 times already, I can type it in but then when I click on the 'leave feedback' button nothing happens :D Very odd and very annoying, anyone know how to fix it??

Back on topic- Kei's Polar collar is working extremly well in keeping him cool :laugh: (it's been 36-40 degrees here for the past 4 days!)

The mat however has been stolen by ME to keep cool :(

Great news SK. Glad Kei is getting excellent benefit from his Collar. Surely there is room for both of you to get a hip each onto the Pad. :thumbsup:

About ebay, I was on to them this morning, and they are currently in the process of rectifying some internal issues. Hopefully it will all be sorted soon. they promised me 3 hrs about 5 hrs ago, so it is a nuisance. It is giving sellers some bigger issues other than feedback. AARRRGGGHHHH. All to do with invoicing.

Hi Dyz,

Which size of the polar pad do you reckon I should get for my Mini Schnauzer? I am quite a cave woman because I don't know where to click for the dimensions of the pads. :rolleyes:

I am so tempted to get the collar for my own use, especially on the hot gardening days :eek::laugh::cry:

Thanks so much!

Hi Dyz,

Which size of the polar pad do you reckon I should get for my Mini Schnauzer? I am quite a cave woman because I don't know where to click for the dimensions of the pads. :rolleyes:

I am so tempted to get the collar for my own use, especially on the hot gardening days :eek::laugh::cry:

Thanks so much!

Hi Cashew, how are you?

Regarding Polar Pad sizing, it really depends greatly on the application - where you intend to use it, in the car, in the house, on his bed, outside, in a crate (if in a crate will he be locked inside and what are the dimensions of the crate?

with the Polar Pads the dog does not need to fit his entire body on to the Pad. Many dogs are more than happy just to have their hips or just their shoulders cooling on the Pad, and others will happily lay their entire body onto it. so, you see, size is really not critical. the dog will use the pad to assist him with lowering his core body temperature.

so, if you want to get back to me with some application details, I can advise further, but I will usually always give a range of size options that I would advise, and then you can choose which size will suit your budget the best. If being used inside a locked crate, that is more specific.

:o

also, all the dimensions are shown within each individual listing.

alternatively all the Polar Products are up on my website now, so you do not need to go through ebay if you do not wish to.

www.k9softdogcrates.com.au

Edited by dyzney

Are these safe to leave on dogs unsupervised?

I would love to find something for my three while I am at work.

Hi Wolfsong, because the Polar Collars have a velcro fitting, if they ever got snagged on anything in the yard they would be pulled undone before the dog would come to any grief. Having said this many people are not comfortable leaving anything on their dogs when unsupervised.

The Collar itself is safe regarding cooling etc. It will never chill the dog. So provided you are comfortable with the fit, then there is no reason why not if you are the type of person that would feel happy normally leaving a collar on your dog unsupervised.

If there are multiple dogs involved in being left, then ensure one is not a chewer, particularly a collar chewer or it will chew the Polar Collar off the dog wearing it, and end up with the contents everywhere. It is non-toxic to ingest, but obviously better in the collar than in the dog's tummy.

Hi Dyz,

Thanks so much!

Hi Cashew, how are you?

Regarding Polar Pad sizing, it really depends greatly on the application - where you intend to use it, in the car, in the house, on his bed, outside, in a crate (if in a crate will he be locked inside and what are the dimensions of the crate?

with the Polar Pads the dog does not need to fit his entire body on to the Pad. Many dogs are more than happy just to have their hips or just their shoulders cooling on the Pad, and others will happily lay their entire body onto it. so, you see, size is really not critical. the dog will use the pad to assist him with lowering his core body temperature.

so, if you want to get back to me with some application details, I can advise further, but I will usually always give a range of size options that I would advise, and then you can choose which size will suit your budget the best. If being used inside a locked crate, that is more specific.

:D

alternatively all the Polar Products are up on my website now, so you do not need to go through ebay if you do not wish to.

Thanks Dyz! My Giggles is still missing Rosie greatly :o

Hi Wolfsong, because the Polar Collars have a velcro fitting, if they ever got snagged on anything in the yard they would be pulled undone before the dog would come to any grief. Having said this many people are not comfortable leaving anything on their dogs when unsupervised.

The Collar itself is safe regarding cooling etc. It will never chill the dog. So provided you are comfortable with the fit, then there is no reason why not if you are the type of person that would feel happy normally leaving a collar on your dog unsupervised.

If there are multiple dogs involved in being left, then ensure one is not a chewer, particularly a collar chewer or it will chew the Polar Collar off the dog wearing it, and end up with the contents everywhere. It is non-toxic to ingest, but obviously better in the collar than in the dog's tummy.

Many thanks Dyzney :rolleyes:

Sounds like just what I am looking for, I will have to have a proper look at them tonight.

Hi Dyz,

I am so tempted to get the collar for my own use, especially on the hot gardening days :laugh::cry::o

Thanks so much!

Hi Cashew, how are you?

;)

Thanks Dyz! My Giggles is still missing Rosie greatly :D

That was very funny wasn't it? Giggles was so taken with Rose. He was so serious about it, but very keen. I think giggles is very cute. rose wasn't overly impressed tho. :eek:

Damnation... here I was thinking I had found what i was looking for.

dyzney how tough are the collars? China isn't necessarily a collar chewer... more a Bron chewer and also jumps and grabs him (if that makes sense). Just wondering whether the collar would withstand that sort of treatment. Sadly a mat would be more likely to come to grief as they like to cart and shred their bedding... tis great fun apparently. :) :)

Damnation... here I was thinking I had found what i was looking for.

dyzney how tough are the collars? China isn't necessarily a collar chewer... more a Bron chewer and also jumps and grabs him (if that makes sense). Just wondering whether the collar would withstand that sort of treatment. Sadly a mat would be more likely to come to grief as they like to cart and shred their bedding... tis great fun apparently. :) :)

Hi ABC, if China is likely to be excited by something new that she sees him wearing to the point where you think she will grab and bite at it, it is likely that at the very least she will pull it off him if not put her teeth through the fabric and destroy the Collar. The Polat Collar fabric will not withstand chewing or biting. The fabric, though definitely strong enough to successfully do the job it is required for, is light weight so as not to be excessively heavy around the dog's neck. If he is not a chewer, then China can probably wear one, but from the sounds of things, probably not him.

The other option if it is possible is to separate them while they are wearing their Polar Collars if this suits your arrangements and set up.

The Polar Collars I am currently using are now over 2 years old. I am not gentle with them. They get tossed around and throw wherever when not in use. They are still as new, and have been soaked and dehydrated many many times. So, they are quite durable, just not chew proof.

My young boy did pull one off my Standard Poodle twice before I gave up putting it on her with him around. He is pretty full on, and he thinks the Collars are toys. He didn't do any damage to it, but he could have.

It is good for me to experiment with these things so I can report when asked these sorts of questions.