Cool Collars?

Red Fox

Dex still manages to shake his off. Should I be draining more water from it before putting it on him? Currently I towel dry it.

You have got me totally stumped with that one shmoo. Like I mentioned previously. I have never seen a Polar Collar that will come undone with a simple head shake.

Can you tell me please, is Dex just having a bit of a shake, or is he literally shaking rigorously to get it off? I am just wondering, if it is the latter he must be extremely adverse to wearing it. Still can't understand it coming off.

You should not have to let it drain or dehydrate for Dex to wear it, but how about you try this. If he is really not happy wearing the Collar, how about you let it dehydrate for a couple of days. It will still be quite activated, but lighter in weight... even give it several days or so if you like. You may need to train him to wear it and enjoy it. So, then you can pop it on him. Even pop a lightweight rubberband around the Collar where the polymer is (reasonably tight) and also around a normal collar of his to ensure it stays on.

If he can gradually get used to the weight and feel of it, you can do mini soaks over days after that, until he ignores wearing it.

If you think it is a size or velcro issue, post it back to me and I will have a look at it for you.

:)

Oh, something else I just thought of... are you over soaking the Polar Collar. You will know it you have oversoaked it as it will be quite hard and not flex easily. If this is the case, the velcro will have constant pressure on it to come apart. Now, unfortunately as Dex knows he can shake the Collar off, he will probably continue to do so. So, try going back to training him to wear it as suggested above with some Collar dehydration first, and see how you go.

Let me know how it goes. :)

Ps. shmoo, I have PMd you to get some more details.

Edited by dyzney

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have used my cool collar on my British bulldog and it is great. He doesn't seem to mind wearing it and if you put your hands underneath the collar he is nice and cool. I tried it myself the other night and it is great. :):)

I have used my cool collar on my British bulldog and it is great. He doesn't seem to mind wearing it and if you put your hands underneath the collar he is nice and cool. I tried it myself the other night and it is great. :):)

That's terrific Skye2. Thanks for letting me know. I bet he feels so much better on the warm days now.

Yeh, other than shmoos' Dex, I have not heard of any dog that doesn't like wearing the Collar... but we will get that sorted out, one way or another. :)

Edited by dyzney

Thanks for your reply :D

He doesn't shake when it goes on, he really does not seem to mind it on. He is used to wearing his martingale collar.

I think the problem is it is too wet. The collar is hard to fold when I put it on, it's likely that its too heavy.

I will try soaking it for less time (5 mins?) and put it on and see if it says on.

Sometimes I see him shake, like a regular dog shake, and it comes off. Other times he has it on, we go out, come back and its off. Hazel and Dex do run around doing zoomies in the yard sometimes, so that could make it come off.

Thanks for your reply :D

He doesn't shake when it goes on, he really does not seem to mind it on. He is used to wearing his martingale collar.

I think the problem is it is too wet. The collar is hard to fold when I put it on, it's likely that its too heavy.

I will try soaking it for less time (5 mins?) and put it on and see if it says on.

Sometimes I see him shake, like a regular dog shake, and it comes off. Other times he has it on, we go out, come back and its off. Hazel and Dex do run around doing zoomies in the yard sometimes, so that could make it come off.

Hi shmoo,

thanks for getting back. Great, well we have established that Dex is quite happy to wear the Collar, so that's good.

OK, well it sounds like it might be coming off because of a couple of likely possibilities. Firstly, if you are resoaking your Collar each or every other day for over 5 minutes, it should only need about 30 seconds to a minute to top it up. 5 minutes each day in my experience would cause it to be over soaked and way too stiff. I think you might need to let it sit for a day or 2 to dehydrate a bit. Once it is soft and slighty deflated, try soaking and massaging while doing so, and watch it. It should be ready to go again quite quickly. Only if the Collar has been left for a week or so will it require a longer top up soak. Over soaking will also result in the Collar being heavier than it is supposed to be during use.

It will not matter if the Collar is wet or dried to use, so long as you don't mind if the dog gets a little damp around the neck. When I use mine, typically I run my hand over it after pulling it out of the water, making my fingers into a tubular shape sort of like squeezing the excess off the fabric . The only time I would be more concerned about towelling off the fabric would be when I am using the Collar at a show before we go in the ring, just because I don't want his neck hair to appear wet.

There is also a chance that Hazel may be grabbing at the Collar or in play Dex may rub it off on her also.

Anyway, I think we have a plan to slightly dehydrate your Collar a bit, as it sounds like it is excessively swelled and not curving nicely without strain and pressure on the velcro. See how you go with that.

And thanks for your PM also.

Cheers and have a great day.

Edited by dyzney

Ok, well its been cold here and the collar is pretty limp. Have not used it for 2 days.

Will soak it for 30 secs and see how that goes!

Thanks for your help :D

That'd be great. Just experiment with your soaking process. Variable effect this process - like water quality etc.

You are most welcome.

If cool collars and mats are filled with the crystals then be cautious leaving them around dogs unattended in case of chewing.

The crystals can be dangerous if consumed when dry - if the dog subsequently drinks water the crystals can swell around 400 times the size.

Good point Danois.

If the products have been allowed to dehydrate and are not being used, they should be stored away in a dry place and away from where chewing pets can get hold of them.

When I have decided to pack mine away for the season I will dry them out on the clothesline, then they are bagged and put into the cupboard.

during the warmer months, when not in use inbetween uses, they sit in or on the laundry trough or on the washing machine.

The laundry door stays shut to the dogs.

i couldn't resist, hardly what i'd call a hot day here in gods country, but had to have a go!!! i was amazed at how much those little things swelled up!!! i was more amazed to come home from work and find it still on saxon!!! i thought for sure he'd take a disliking to the new thing around his neck. very "cool" product meg. thanks heaps, i think you have become the unofficial guru on keeping dogs cool!!! :)

My order arrived today Dyz! I had to use it. The collar was a little big for Giggles but it sat well on his lower neck/chest area. Giggles did not mind the least bit and was happily running around whilst I watered the plants. :) Thanks for your fastest ever replies and postage..I can't wait to bring him to the park for a run tomorrow with his new cool collar :o

hey dyzney, could you pm me with suggested size, price, postage etc for a soft crate? also, do you sell shade thingies? like a little shelter for saxon whilst we are at obedience training? nothing too flash, just want to keep him out of the sun as much as possible. we train on a saturday afternoon on an open oval and it gets pretty hot. suggestions???

My order arrived today Dyz! I had to use it. The collar was a little big for Giggles but it sat well on his lower neck/chest area. Giggles did not mind the least bit and was happily running around whilst I watered the plants. :) Thanks for your fastest ever replies and postage..I can't wait to bring him to the park for a run tomorrow with his new cool collar ;)

Hi cashew. Well that was nice and quick wasn't it?! aust Post must have lifted their game. :D Giggles must have a wee little fine neck. Sorry, this is outr smallest size. but it sitting low and slightly over his chest will not matter provided it is not so low it is sort swaying and rosking his front legs stepping through. You can always add another little piece of velcro if it concerns you at all.

I bet he looks cute in it. he is such a proud stepping smart little man.

Rose might even go for him now :o

hey dyzney, could you pm me with suggested size, price, postage etc for a soft crate? also, do you sell shade thingies? like a little shelter for saxon whilst we are at obedience training? nothing too flash, just want to keep him out of the sun as much as possible. we train on a saturday afternoon on an open oval and it gets pretty hot. suggestions???

Hi saxonspride. Glad Saxon appeared to enjoy wearing his Collar and felt the benefit. Excellent news. I am thrilled that you are happy.

I will send you a PM regarding crates etc.

:)

Hi Dyzney - Bella is enjoying her cool mat. The only problem is we had it inside the house today and she came in from outside & peed on it. Sigh. Still working on that whole toilet training thing. What should I do with the mat?

Hi princesszelda. I am thrilled to hear Bella is enjoying her Polar Pad.

Regarding cleaning the pee off - simply give it a hose down or rinse under cold water. If it has been sitting around most of the day, an extra wetting will not hurt it. The polymers do not absorb urine, so only the fabric will. Giving it a good rinse will be plenty. However, if at any time you feel you want to do more than that you can use a detergent and give it a hand wash with that.

Ensure you completely rinse any soap out of the fabric before use again, just as you would when you wash any fabric products.

The Pad can be used directly after a wash and does not require dehydrating first.

I have just finished soaking our 3 Collars and Pad for a hot day of showing tomorrow. I pack them into a Crate Carry Bag with a loose towel (to absorb excess water) for the trip. OH and I wear a Collar each, Jag wears the other one and he will also have his Pad inside his crate. I will also pop the Pad into the back of the car for the trip home for him.... Jag that is, not OH. :hug:

Hi dyzney. My cool collars have arrived. I've had them soaking all ready for a yard trial tomorrow. It is meant to be hot and I think my dogs will appreciate them. I haven't tried them on the dogs yet so I just might borrow the big dog's (he will be staying home) for myself.

Hi dyzney. My cool collars have arrived. I've had them soaking all ready for a yard trial tomorrow. It is meant to be hot and I think my dogs will appreciate them. I haven't tried them on the dogs yet so I just might borrow the big dog's (he will be staying home) for myself.

Yeh, I would too 4 kelpies... what the big boy doesn't know won't hurt him, :D

Good luck tomorrow

:hug: