November Challenge

tlc

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem Pandii ;) I enjoy the challenges, it's just that portraits are my thing so I can give a bit more feedback on them than say, "landscapes".

for everyone. Becandarch's photo inspired me to explore window light for you a little bit more. Most of the professional portrait I shoot use ONLY window light or natural light and after I've done the work I do, I end up with stuff like this.

4031415372_226b7f763e.jpg

That is light from a window and nothing else. No reflectors, no studio set apart from the backdrop.

So here are three easy window light set ups that anyone can do. But most importantly, NEVER put your subject too close to the window (unless it's overcast outside) and never use a window that has direct sun coming through it. These shots were taken this morning on the western side of my house... so the sun was still well over the other side of the house.

The only post processing was for colour, there has been no dodging or burning, etc.

set up one (similar to becandarch's set up)

4079354658_a664aca6c3_o.jpg

Set up two

4079354836_6b1172a1a4_o.jpg

set up three

4078597841_95d172124a_o.jpg

now here is a test - there are no right or wrong answers, this is simply to get people thinking about what they should be doing.

4079355098_0158521f85_o.jpg

have fun!

Hey - that's Shell :)

Alex looks sad :laugh: ;)

yep, that's Shell. Has she popped yet? I'm doing a newborn shoot with her once she has the bubba.

And Alex wasn't sad, we are just tired. We are in sleep deficit mode at the moment (and just very thankful that Angus slept all night last night.)

Ok thought I would put these two in?? Not sure though..

Crapy background (compost bin! but I really like the light??) perhaps I need to learn to edit?

DSC00241.jpg

The sky is nicely lit but using the flash on the camera does nothing for the photo. The front of the image is too bright and the shadow from the dog is too 'hard'.

Unfortunately this then goes into the realms of pro-photography with using off camera flash and triggers or even a different external lightsource (like a lamp or even a flood light) to light the subject... anything other than the flash on the camera.

You have the right idea though and that is a good thing. ;)

Edited by Ashanali

The sky is nicely lit but using the flash on the camera does nothing for the photo. The front of the image is too bright and the shadow from the dog is too 'hard'.

Unfortunately this then goes into the realms of pro-photography with using off camera flash and triggers or even a different external lightsource (like a lamp or even a flood light) to light the subject... anything other than the flash on the camera.

You have the right idea though and that is a good thing. ;)

YAY!! I actually understood what you meant. I agree about the lighting and I think that my be the main problem that I have at the moment *Sigh*. Ah well I will just use Niks dogs for the moment so I dont have to combat the "shine"....

YAY!! I actually understood what you meant. I agree about the lighting and I think that my be the main problem that I have at the moment *Sigh*. Ah well I will just use Niks dogs for the moment so I dont have to combat the "shine"....

;)

You can also have a go with my camera and my flash if you like so you can see what Ash means about bouncing the flash.

Edited by TerraNik

Hey - that's Shell :)

Alex looks sad :laugh: ;)

yep, that's Shell. Has she popped yet? I'm doing a newborn shoot with her once she has the bubba.

And Alex wasn't sad, we are just tired. We are in sleep deficit mode at the moment (and just very thankful that Angus slept all night last night.)

Shell is going in for a caesar on Tuesday, if she doesn't go before. She was having some pains last friday when I was talking to her. No news yet though. I know she was super happy with her photos :)

Ah, yes - tired. Mine both sleep through but I still can't remember what it feels like to be well rested.

now here is a test - there are no right or wrong answers, this is simply to get people thinking about what they should be doing.

4079355098_0158521f85_o.jpg

Subject it too close to the window. The lighting appears very harsh and over exposing parts of the face. You can see the curtain. The subject seems to be missing half his head.

Gah, still can't get it, but I am actually learning about ISO and shutter speed (well, what limited things I can play with on my camera). So here is a very naughty pug, sleeping on my son's couch (and his ted).

copyofp102081221257474648.JPG

ISO 400

Aperture F3.4

Exposure time 1/8s

Edited by huga

Ok thought i would post these i just took... This is all new to me, i have had my camera for a while but i don't use it well..

My model is my son Ben, home from school sick, he is looking much better now then he did at the begining of the week..

Now i really have no idea what i am doing and i assume that the numbers on the top of the photo when i view them on the camera are the ones to say what settings the camera is on?

All i have done to these photos is resize them... I am unsure how to use LR though i do have it...

If so they are..

1/3 5.6 100-1982

ben3.jpg

1/15 5.6 100-1970

ben1.jpg

1/13 5.6 100-1972

ben22.jpg

1/25 5.6 100-1950

ben.jpg

Oh and it was Ash's signature that brought me in here..

ETS I just played around in LR with this photo, not sure if it looks any better...

ben22-1.jpg

Edited by MissMolly

I dunno the answer to the last pic Ash, it just looks too over exposed did you use flash? Iso too high?

Nice shots everyone else.

I just wanted to post this one, not taken in M but and only taken on my mobile phone but I love it and just thought it suited the Portrait theme!!

01-10-09_1447-2-1.jpg

Thanks Becandcharch, I actually feel I can play with you big kids now :laugh:

Is it wrong to want my computer updated new photo editing software and a course on how to use it all for christmas

Ash, thanks so much for starting all this :shrug:

Didn't you have LR, I thought I remembered reading in a thread a while ago that you had deleted it as you thought it was crap?? Are you sure it was LR?

I remember thinking it was strange cause it is such a good editing program and so easy to use!

I want the full adobe photoshop programme and a faster computer to run it on

I didnt realise that light room was part of adobe

I want the full adobe photoshop programme and a faster computer to run it on

I didnt realise that light room was part of adobe

Ah ok, Maybe it was just a trial version??

Lightroom is adobe lightroom like TN said but it is a program in its own right nothing to do with PS, they have to be purchased individually.

Have you seen this thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...176679&st=0

I have PS CS4 (full version) and also LR (full version) they are not cheap programs and I got mine a little cheaper when I was a student, but seriously (and Id be interested to see what other people think) If I had to do it over again I wouldnt bother with PS, I just dont use it, maybe down the track if I do any Photography in a professional capacity but even then I cant see the need for it, especially if you are only doing basic editing. Sure if you wanna do textures and take things out of pics etc, then there is a need. I guess it just depends what you wanna do. Another reason I dont use it a lot is that I dont know what the heck im doing half the time, I know the basics but thats it. I wanted to do the Advanced PS course this year but it conflicted with work so I had to miss out :laugh: I was most dissapointed!!