November Challenge

tlc

I want the full adobe photoshop programme and a faster computer to run it on

I didnt realise that light room was part of adobe

Ah ok, Maybe it was just a trial version??

Lightroom is adobe lightroom like TN said but it is a program in its own right nothing to do with PS, they have to be purchased individually.

Have you seen this thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...176679&st=0

I have PS CS4 (full version) and also LR (full version) they are not cheap programs and I got mine a little cheaper when I was a student, but seriously (and Id be interested to see what other people think) If I had to do it over again I wouldnt bother with PS, I just dont use it, maybe down the track if I do any Photography in a professional capacity but even then I cant see the need for it, especially if you are only doing basic editing. Sure if you wanna do textures and take things out of pics etc, then there is a need. I guess it just depends what you wanna do. Another reason I dont use it a lot is that I dont know what the heck im doing half the time, I know the basics but thats it. I wanted to do the Advanced PS course this year but it conflicted with work so I had to miss out :laugh: I was most dissapointed!!

TLC - lightroom gives alot of control, but PS is used for fine tuning. You CAN get a decent and printable image straight out of LR, but most photographers will still do a tiny bit of tweaking in PS before sending an image to print.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this might be a stupid question but when my camera has these settings AV F5.6 my shutter speed or the numbers in the top left hand corner are 1/8 now how do i change this? i know how to change the F5.6 to what ever i want but the shutter speed changes automaticly...

I think i have been playing around with one too many buttons..

Ok, more playing. Eddie is my only immobile subject, so he will have to do for now. I know it's too dark, but I like the way that one end of the couch is lighter because of the window:

copy2ofp10208551257482931.JPG

Edited by huga

OK, this might be a stupid question but when my camera has these settings AV F5.6 my shutter speed or the numbers in the top left hand corner are 1/8 now how do i change this? i know how to change the F5.6 to what ever i want but the shutter speed changes automaticly...

Hey Miss Molly,

If your camera is in Av (aperture priority) mode then you set the aperture (f5.6) and the shutter speed will automatically change based on your aperture and how much available light there is.

If you want to adjust both settings you will need to set the camera to manual.

Personally I pretty much live in Av mode. :laugh:

Hey Miss Molly,

If your camera is in Av (aperture priority) mode then you set the aperture (f5.6) and the shutter speed will automatically change based on your aperture and how much available light there is.

If you want to adjust both settings you will need to set the camera to manual.

Personally I pretty much live in Av mode. :laugh:

Thanks macka...

Ok, more playing. Eddie is my only immobile subject, so he will have to do for now. I know it's too dark, but I like the way that one end of the couch is lighter because of the window:

copy2ofp10208551257482931.JPG

I really love this shot!! I agree about the way the light is shining, it give some kind of feeling to the shot!! Your boy is a cutie!! cant believe how much he has grown.

now here is a test - there are no right or wrong answers, this is simply to get people thinking about what they should be doing.

4079355098_0158521f85_o.jpg

Subject it too close to the window. The lighting appears very harsh and over exposing parts of the face. You can see the curtain. The subject seems to be missing half his head.

Since nobody else had a go at it...

Yep, he's too close to the window and the light is way too hard (I could have brought this down in LR or PS but that defeats to purpose of trying to get correct exposure in the camera.)

The curtain isn't so much of an issue, neither is missing the back of his head AS LONG AS the cropping is appropriate. If there was too much curtain or too much of his head cut off, it would become irritating to look at (so yes, you're on the right track)

Other issues, the focus point is the eye further away from the viewer. It should be on the eye closest to us.

Also it's neither a profile shot or a 3/4 shot. If you're going to take a shot side on, it should either be a full profile OR a 3/4 angle (and yes, I'm aware that I've actually made the same mistake in the backlit example, I was in a hurry with my reluctant model and didn't make sure it was perfect.)

Well done Ravyk :laugh: