Feeding Dogs A Vegetarian Diet

huski

Is it just someone's beliefs that lead them to feed a vegetarian diet or do they firmly believe that it is the optimum diet for dogs?

I wonder if those who opt to feed their dogs no meat, happily pump their dogs full of Proheart slow release, moxidetcin, ivermectin and over vaccinate, without a second thought.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not desexing results in dogs dying if you believe in dog overpoulation so we desex. Feeding meat results in animal dying so dont feed meat. Are the very basic agrument sorry it wasn't very clear.

There is nothing natural about how dogs live now if we are completely honest about it and all the dogs I know would not hunt if sent out into the wild. Some would eat an already dead animal probably most. Sorry I dont mean to keep this going but as other vegetarians have said above as a vegetarian you spend so much time talking about it through no choice of your own you have a comeback for almost everything and yes I relise right now it is by choice

Is it just someone's beliefs that lead them to feed a vegetarian diet or do they firmly believe that it is the optimum diet for dogs?

I wonder if those who opt to feed their dogs no meat, happily pump their dogs full of Proheart slow release, moxidetcin, ivermectin and over vaccinate, without a second thought.

agree - and that modified vegetable protein (fake meat) stuff is full of additives and preservatives.

Not desexing results in dogs dying if you believe in dog overpoulation so we desex. Feeding meat results in animal dying so dont feed meat. Are the very basic agrument sorry it wasn't very clear.

There is nothing natural about how dogs live now if we are completely honest about it and all the dogs I know would not hunt if sent out into the wild. Some would eat an already dead animal probably most. Sorry I dont mean to keep this going but as other vegetarians have said above as a vegetarian you spend so much time talking about it through no choice of your own you have a comeback for almost everything and yes I relise right now it is by choice

You could always feed your carnivore road kill, then you dont have the guilt of having an animal die for your pet, otherwise, once again I suggest get a pet rabbit, guinea pig, sheep, cow, llama, deer, whatever, you have a lot of herbivore choices for a pet.

For those who won't feed meat and bones because they find it gross, I don't get why not atleast feed them a good quality food like Eagle Pack or Artemis? Nothing about the dry food looks or feels like meat? Just seems so extreme to make your pets vegetarian simply because you are.

The way I see it, if you can't provide the simple needs of the animal, then perhaps that animal is not for you.

We spend a lot of time talking about optimum diet for dogs but how many people eat optimum diet? How many eat a good diet? And most people still thrive. If a dog is on a very good diet they will thrive, if the vegetarian diet is correctly done for dogs I would say it would be better than pedigree that most people feed. My dog growing up ate supermarket cat food and we lost her at 20 years of age.

Not everything is perfect

It is not just simply decided on because the owner is vegetarian there is a huge thought process behind it. Thats what I have been trying to say for most there are hours of thought and research behind it. Simply attacking isn't going to help.

Edited by chuckandsteve

Ah, sorry, I thought you said desexing your dog resulted in dogs dying. My bad.

Dogs still have natural instincts and I don't believe that 'most' dogs if wild enough for long enough would let themselves starve without having their instinct to hunt take over.

Dogs have evolved to eat raw food including meat and bone, whilst they scavange they are still predators.

Sorry, but I disagree with the bolded part. I think dogs still have much stronger survival instincts than people give them credit for and I think many would adapt pretty quickly and learn how to hunt successfully in the wild.

I think if you survey'd the DOL community, the majority would have dogs with some amount of prey drive.

We spend a lot of time talking about optimum diet for dogs but how many people eat optimum diet? How many eat a good diet? And most people still thrive. If a dog is on a very good diet they will thrive, if the vegetarian diet is correctly done for dogs I would say it would be better than pedigree that most people feed. My dog growing up ate supermarket cat food and we lost her at 20 years of age.

Not everything is perfect

I feed what my dogs do best on.

For many dogs, sub-standard diets cause a range of problems. Sure dogs can survive on food like PAL or pedigree or even in some cases a "balanced" vegetarian diet. But that doesn't mean it's the best thing for them.

Sorry, but I disagree with the bolded part. I think dogs still have much stronger survival instincts than people give them credit for and I think many would adapt pretty quickly and learn how to hunt successfully in the wild.

I think if you survey'd the DOL community, the majority would have dogs with some amount of prey drive.

I agree with Stormie, I really believe if they had to a dog will hunt.

I know mine do, they have killed many rabbits and hares and happily munched away until I have arrived and taken the body away.

You're right - I could probably survive on eating powdered food and taking multi vitamins to ensure I got my daily requirements, but I would most likely not be as healthy as I would be if I ate a balanced diet of fresh fruit, vegetables, protein etc. I think you only need to turn on the radio to hear how obesity is a huge problem in today's society because of poor nutrition, eg not eating right, and it's causing health problems.

If someone came on DOL saying their dog lived entirely in the backyard and never received an ounce of exercise, most would agree that's wrong. Dogs still have the instinct to be on the move, so we provide them with exercise. IMO, same should go with diet. Meat and bones are essential for OPTIMUM health. Fail to provide those things and sure, you're dog will probably survive, but it may not be as healthy in all aspects as one who receives these.

Edited by stormie

I really know nothing about prey drive you could well be right.

And huski, 10 points, first person I have seen able to have a reasonable discussion with on this topic without it resorting to insults and "I dont care what you say" tactics.

I am happy to disagree, most vegetarians are its just when people result to calling people crazy because their opinions vary that gets me going.

Yes road kill would be fine but unfortunately no one sells it.

Anyone advocating soy as a suitable source of vegetable protein for dogs should do their homework on phytin and its ability to block calcium absorbtion. :D

Soy contains phytin - as do most cereals.

A soy rich diet for a growing puppy = trouble. :cheer:

TVP is soy based.

Anyone advocating an all vegetarian diet for dogs needs to be very well read on canine nutrition and frankly there are still going to be issues. No wild dog exists on vegetable matter all the time. All wild dogs will scavenge or eat fruit etc but they hunt when they can.

Edited by poodlefan

"You're right - I could probably survive on eating powdered food and taking multi vitamins to ensure I got my daily requirements"

This is crazy I never said someone would feed them powder and I also said its about what not to feed them as well.

But your right I can't argue against that because it would be the doing of a crazy person

chuckandsteve - could you please give me some information as to what constitutes a good vegetarian diet for dogs? Obviously there are going to be variances between breeds but could you break it down into stuff like XYZ is a source of XYZ that dogs need?

I have only one question for this person:

Would she feed cows MEAT?

Well some stupid bugger in the UK did & look what happened! Half of the sheep & cattle population of the UK had to be destroyed. :D

On the topic of vegetarianism for dogs, I don't agree with it (unless it's for medical reasons) but that's just my opinion. I do have to disgree with you chuckandsteve when you said that you didnt think most dogs would be able to hunt for food, let a mouse go near a dog & see the prey drive kick in :cheer: .

We quite recently saw an interview with Alicia Silverstone & she feeds her dogs a vegetarian (or maybe vegan, I can't remember now) diet, very strange.

I really know nothing about prey drive you could well be right.

And huski, 10 points, first person I have seen able to have a reasonable discussion with on this topic without it resorting to insults and "I dont care what you say" tactics.

I am happy to disagree, most vegetarians are its just when people result to calling people crazy because their opinions vary that gets me going.

Yes road kill would be fine but unfortunately no one sells it.

excuse me, I haven't isulted anyone and when I suggested road kill I meant you'd have to go collect it yourself.

Edited by Kirislin

I think this person should just get a bird. A dog needs bones for calicum and to clean there teeth. Meat is what dogs love and should not be deprived of it because this person cant handle it. Like most have said . put gloves on and do what is best for the dog.