Feeding Dogs A Vegetarian Diet

huski

What I don't understand about this discussion is why you wouldn't feed your dog meat.

I haven't seen anyone on here asked to justify their decision to feed their dogs meat, however plenty of people have asked why you wouldn't.

So, can the vegetarian feeding people tell me why they don't actually feed meat? Other than the usual I don't like it response, because this isn't about you, it's about your dog and what they would prefer.

Cavalier - I feel very sorry for your dog, my cavalier loves nothing more than getting a juicy marrow bone and spending a few hours attacking it. I don't particularly like getting it out of the bag, granted, however I also don't like picking up dog poo on our daily walks - it's just something that has to happen if I want to own a dog.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...I don't see wolves stalking cabbages :birthday:

Indeed.

:love:

Definitely a winner for 'Quote of the week!' :):rainbowbridge:

I keep getting this image of me serving up a plate of tofu and mixed veges to my Kelpie.......and the disgusted look I would get. :birthday:

This is a dog who will attempt to pick each and every pea out of his dinner when I throw any left over veges into his meat. He obviously despises peas....not much different to the kids actually. :)

What I don't understand about this discussion is why you wouldn't feed your dog meat.

I haven't seen anyone on here asked to justify their decision to feed their dogs meat, however plenty of people have asked why you wouldn't.

So, can the vegetarian feeding people tell me why they don't actually feed meat? Other than the usual I don't like it response, because this isn't about you, it's about your dog and what they would prefer.

Heres my view on this question being a vegetarian. It was difficult for my husband particularly to bring a meat eating animal into our lives. We considered feeding vegan dry food but decided that it was not in the best interest of the dog particularly when it is a growing pup.

For us its an environmental issue. the production of chickens, cows etc for meat is not as environmentally friendly as production of vegetable matter. A dogs meat eating diet is an extra burden even if it is their natural inclination. When you feel so strongly about being vegan or vegetarian particularly for the environment it can be difficult to get around the idea of owning a meat eating animal let alone buying it meat. I guess if people feel that strongly then they really should own a rabbit. If its an ethical/environmental issue for some people then i don't see why they cant feed byproducts like chicken necks, offal, chicken frames and chicken/bone mince.

I have a question though in regards to those who feed only dry food. If you can get a regular dry food and a vegan dry food and they are both fairly equal in protein, fat, fibre etc then is there really much difference between them. I agree that people trying to feed a dog vegetarian via mixing miscellaneous vegetables together is potentially hazardous.

For us its an environmental issue. the production of chickens, cows etc for meat is not as environmentally friendly as production of vegetable matter. A dogs meat eating diet is an extra burden even if it is their natural inclination. When you feel so strongly about being vegan or vegetarian particularly for the environment it can be difficult to get around the idea of owning a meat eating animal let alone buying it meat. I guess if people feel that strongly then they really should own a rabbit. If its an ethical/environmental issue for some people then i don't see why they cant feed byproducts like chicken necks, offal, chicken frames and chicken/bone mince.

This concern is one of the reasons that as well as feeding tails, necks, offcuts etc from farmed species I also get feral species for my dogs. Ferals can include rabbits, venison and goat, and hares too when not too expensive. Species appropriate dog food and more environmentally benign (or even positive). Not easy or possible for everyone to do - but worth the effort if you have a concern about feeding meat for environmental reasons.

I can't really answer the kibble question as I don't feed a lot of it, but generally I think % are only half the story, nutrients from different sources have different bioavailability. And manufactured vitamins etc don't always have the same effect as those from natural sources, as has been shown from a few studies in human health.

Can't help myself.

Back in my days I can still remember every neighbours dogs and their names. 2 german shepperds, 1 Lab, 5 pound dogs (we have only ever had a pound dogs). They were part of the pack. They only ever had Chum or Pal and cheap dry and the odd table scraps. They were never on a leash and always hung around with us kids. They were the most balanced dogs I can remember. We were out all day and so were they.

I remember they all lived to a great age and never suffered any illnesses.

People really like to fight here dont they. Read the posts, no one ever said it was ideal, just that a dog can thrive on it, I am sure everyones dogs get something that is not ideal for them its not a perfect world.

What rot! I'm sorry but there is no irrefutable evidence that a dog will 'thrive' on a vegetarian diet. They are not vegetarian animals.

Why would someone even contemplate changing an animals natural diet just because they don't consume meat themselves? It's utterly selfish and is basically an anal act of anthropomorphic idiocy.

Any normal person would feed their animal what it has been designed and has evolved (over many millenium of evolution) to eat. To do otherwise is NOT normal.

I have no patience with nutjobs and fruitloops and if you look under my avatar you will notice that 'political correctness' is not my preferred stance. :rofl:

Exactly, who's going to start adding meat to their horses diets just because that's what they eat? It's a simple question of what an animal has evolved to eat in my opinion. I don't see wolves stalking cabbages :(

Those sneaky cabbages are hard to catch!! :rofl: My stallion used to "stalk" the chickens!! Don't think he was planning to eat one though LOL :D

Edited by LizT

Can't help myself.

Back in my days I can still remember every neighbours dogs and their names. 2 german shepperds, 1 Lab, 5 pound dogs (we have only ever had a pound dogs). They were part of the pack. They only ever had Chum or Pal and cheap dry and the odd table scraps. They were never on a leash and always hung around with us kids. They were the most balanced dogs I can remember. We were out all day and so were they.

I remember they all lived to a great age and never suffered any illnesses.

I "grew up" with these dogs too. They were often "PTS" by the owners and never taken to the vets either! Not all lived to a ripe old age. They never got sick because conditions were not left to manifest.

• 7 months later...
Huski, maybe you could search the threads from the many times previously this topic has come up, print out all the info on how and why that kind of diet is bad for a dog, and hand it over to her :)

Although if she doesn't have a dog now and isn't planning on getting one soon perhaps just encourage her towards pet rabbits?

Nah, not worth it with this woman :o I just found it frustrating!

:laugh::o WOFT :o:rofl::(:(:cry:

For what it's worth I couldn't care less what other people eat either. It never ceases to amaze me how much other people want to talk about what we do and don't eat. I can't see how it's anyone's business what anybody else eats and frankly after 7 years of vegetarianism I now find the topic quite boring. :(

Wait until you get to 18yrs - you'll be ready to stick a fork in your eye whenever the topic comes up! :laugh:

I'm vegetarian, my dogs are not... they eat a raw diet. As other's have said: if you can't cope don't get a meat eating pet!

I get vego client's that shriek when I suggest cooked liver as a good treat: I tell them "Im vego, and I do it, so you can get over it and do it too!!"

+ 2

I so hear you - 21 years for me...

Surely there must be more exciting topics to discuss than "OMG how can you eat tofu " :o

Nothing makes me happier than to see my two getting stuck into a big juicy bone.... I swear Tango is grinning like mad the whole time :o

WOW, I just read this whole thread.... how ridiculous.

I'm not buying the whole "I'm a vet" story... no-one can be that ignorant surely?

ETA - I was a Vego for quite a few years.... guess what my dogs eat. And it doesn't come off an abattoir floor either, I feed human grade meat only.

Edited by Shaar