Feeding Dogs A Vegetarian Diet

huski

There's a lady at my work who is a vegetarian (practically vegan - she doesn't eat eggs or anything that 'has a mother'). She doesn't own a dog at the moment but is adamant that any animal she owns in the future will be a pure vegetarian too. She's had dogs in the past who she fed a home cooked 100% vego diet to.

I don't think she really understands the difference in a human's dietary requirement vs a dog's, because from what she was telling me she'd basically feed the dog what she'd feed herself as a complete vegetarian diet including fake meat (i.e. I-can't-believe-it's-not-bacon). She wouldn't feed anything like fish or egg.

I've seen vegetarian dried dog food before, I always assumed it was for dogs with allergies and that it would be a complete canine diet. I feed my dogs a raw diet, and I know this woman was quite horrified at the idea I feed them raw meat/meat. IMO it's really important for dogs to eat meat and raw bones (unless they can't for medical reasons).

I don't think it's right to feed your animals a vegetarian diet just because you are vegetarian too - what does everyone else think?

Edited by huski

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A vegan diet for dogs isnt good. they need alot more nutrition than we do. Dogs need meat as they are carnivores. Wouldnt think a dog would survive well being fed a human vegan diet. weird if you ask me but a dog needs meat and lots of it. thats what i reckon and a dog shouldnt be deprived of that just because the owner doesnt eat meat or anything with a mother as you say

If there is conclusive proof that the dog will do well on the diet they are feeding them, then it's fine. I don't think there is any for vegie diets for dogs though.

I'm not sure what studies have shown about the high end vegetarian dry dog food, but AFAIK I think it's only for dogs who have to avoid meat for medical reasons.

In this situation I would encourage this woman not to own any pet that is a carnivore, as those "not meat" products are largely tofu and soy and are no good for dogs at all.

However in general I'd encourage vegetarians to feed their dogs meat by pointing out that dog food is off-cuts secondary to human meat production, so in essence no additional animals have died to feed your pet.

Huski, maybe you could search the threads from the many times previously this topic has come up, print out all the info on how and why that kind of diet is bad for a dog, and hand it over to her :D

Although if she doesn't have a dog now and isn't planning on getting one soon perhaps just encourage her towards pet rabbits?

A dog has the short small intestine of a carnivore so can't digest vegetable matter as efficiently as a herbivore or a true omnivore like us. Just have a look at you dogs faeces and see the grass that passes thruough undigetsted - the same with a lot of grains. While dogs naturally eat vegetable matter it is not the main part of their diet.

ETA I met a vegan a few weeks ago who while she said she hated handling it fed her dog a barf diet.

Edited by Janba

Huski, maybe you could search the threads from the many times previously this topic has come up, print out all the info on how and why that kind of diet is bad for a dog, and hand it over to her :)

Although if she doesn't have a dog now and isn't planning on getting one soon perhaps just encourage her towards pet rabbits?

Nah, not worth it with this woman :D I just found it frustrating!

I just dont agree with it, I find it selfish as funny as that sounds, I also dont agree with parents forcing their children to eat vegetarian but thats another story :D

I'm with law

and it IS selfish and nothing "funny' about it. I'm not laughing.

Maybe she should have a house-rabbit instead. :D

I think if it's that stomach churning, a premium dry would be a compromise? Something I hadn't considered until recently told of a lady who chose this rather than vegetarian food for her dog.

My OH and I are both vegetarian but would never consider forcing a vegetarian diet on any creature that isn't able to choose one for itself.

In saying that, I do belive though that dogs can exist perfectly well on one - wouldn't have a clue about cats. I know of at least one DOLer who feeds their dogs a purely veggie diet due to allergies, and they are still very much alive.

For what it's worth I couldn't care less what other people eat either. It never ceases to amaze me how much other people want to talk about what we do and don't eat. I can't see how it's anyone's business what anybody else eats and frankly after 7 years of vegetarianism I now find the topic quite boring. :D