Help Me Pick A Photo

black magic

Hi all,

I've done a short 4 week photography class, and one of our challenges is to do a portrait photo using the knowledge we gained over the past 4 weeks (showing some examples of good use of light, texture, creativity, correct camera settings etc)

Well my Nephew didn't travel down this weekend, and I didn't have anyone on hand to take photos of, so I roped my OH in to be my model.

He hates getting his photo taken and didn't want to help me out, but he was already in my bad books, and was told that if he let me take his picture I'd forget that I was grumpy at him.

I happened to snap a pic of him yesterday after work and he said I was only allowed to take a couple of photos today and that was it. So the pressure was on to get one fast, as I knew he would get the cranks very quickly.

We are not able to retouch the photos as the teacher is doing that to all our photos as she didn't want anyone to have an unfair advantage.

I'm not sure if I actually like any of them much, as I feel they are a bit washed out and the colours are not very vibrant, but I have to submit one (leaning towards # 1 or #4). So which one should I use

Photo 1, 2, 3, or 4

Or if I can find anyone willing to let me take their photo, should I try a last minute one tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

Edited by black magic

The first one. Who can resist a man in uniform? :(

Why is he sitting in a tree? Unless there is a story there, this sort of photo verges on corny. It's up there with drawing a love heart in the sand or having a couple play 'peek a boo' around the sides of a tree. (not trying to be mean, just letting you know how photographers will see it).

I definitely like the first one best. It feels more like your OH is engaging the viewer and you've captured part of who he is; oh, and I like the uniform aspect. :whip::love:

With the last two, whilst they're nice shots of him, they look more like a family snapshot than than the first one. I always love pictures of a man and his dog but I'd give the second shot a miss as the distance between you and your OH doesn't lend any depth to the photo, which I think is needed for a portrait shot, and the partial pole is distracting.

Good points thanks.

What about taking some where he's not looking at the camera. Has he got a hobby, is it one where he'd be sitting still doing it. Could you photograph him like that.

I like your ideas, Golf and cricket are his hobbies as he can't sit still (I think he has ADHD) It would have been a good idea to take my camera down to cricket and get some there........... bummer.

The first one. Who can resist a man in uniform? :)

Why is he sitting in a tree? Unless there is a story there, this sort of photo verges on corny. It's up there with drawing a love heart in the sand or having a couple play 'peek a boo' around the sides of a tree. (not trying to be mean, just letting you know how photographers will see it).

Totally understand the corny aspect of the tree :( . OH is always on the move, climbing things jumping off rocks, sliding down stair rails and all that boy stuff, so I was thinking along that side of things with the tree, but I didn't even think of the cheesy factor, but I certainly got that, cause it doesn't resemble what I just described about him at all :o So thankyou for saving me from sending through a corny shot :rofl:

btw - you could always try a self portrait. Go and search self portrait groups on flickr - you can definitely be creative and get something great even when shooting yourself. :whip:

Wow, some awesome photos on there and I think it's something I want to give a go. For this challenge we are meant to do one where no one else will know who took it as we vote on what we see as the best photo.

The first has him with nice twinkly eyes...and the colours are good. I like the lighting, too :whip: Oh- and the uniform :whip:

The eyes are what draw me to the first one to.

Thanks for all the tips. It's good to get some feedback.

I have to send it to her tomorrow, so I might take my camera to work tomorrow and try and capture one of the kids at play and see if I can do any better.