Antihistamines

westiemum

Hi Everyone,

Going to have to resort to an antihistamine for my westie girl who is having a hard time allergy wise. Its the usual - eyes and licking her paws (they are very stained). Her tummy which is sometimes pink isn't too bad at the moment although she is scratching. The grass seeds and burrs in the back yard are particularly bad at the moment. We are cleaning it up but its taking time. (I suspect that this is where the problem allergen is).

So has anyone used the Telfast in the green box for dogs? And if so what dose? It looks like it would be particularly good for these symptoms.

Or is there something else 'over the counter' that people would recommend?

Apologies for the repeat thread - searched but couldn't find any info on Telfast

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Westiemum :hug:

I went to a vet dermatologist the other day

Apparently the older style sedating antihistamines have a higher rate of success in dogs. It seems to be trial and error with dogs, antihistamines only work in 30% of dogs.

I was recommeded Polaramine, Sorry I can't remember the dose

If you search this topic then it is in here somewhere

We tried Telfast but didn't have much success.

We have had slightly better results with one of the older antihistamines, Polaramine. We suspect it's because it makes him slightly drowsy and less likely to itch, whereas Telfast is non-drowsy.

I've used Telfast on my GSD that had been bitten by something and had a massive reaction, sorry dont recall the colour of the box.

We had given her a Claratyne with little effect and followed it up an hour or so later with the Telfast that seemed to help within 15 mins.

Our vet has told us to keep a few types on hand because each dog is different and it is hard to predict what will work in each case. One of our lines is highly allergic to bees and wasps, so we now keep antihistamines in the car just in case.

My Vet suggested to me to have anti-histamines on hand, but to only use them if my dog's scratching was damaging his already damaged skin. In the meantime, to bath with Calendula Tea. The latter did the trick and the anti-histamines remain unopened in the medicine cabinet.

When my girl gets the allergies from the grass etc I found bathing her in episoothe oatmeal shampoo which you get at pet shops really helps also anything like pinetarsol to bath on itchy tummies also helps, haven't had much success with antihistamines, Even if you buy some rolled oats from supermarket and put in a sock and wet and wipe dog over with this seems to help also, stay clear of any shampoo's that have perfume in them, only use natural products which I found helped a real lot, even the baby curash powder or creme you buy at safeway also is good and won't affect them if they lick area with it on, hope this gives you some help. :laugh:

From what I've read, with antihistamines you may have to experiment to see what works for your dog.

Telfast comes in different strengths- I'd ask your vet for dosage.

A westie is a whole lot smaller than a human!

Also Telfast= Fexotab, which is cheaper.

Lorastyne is a cheaper brand of Claratyne.

Same drug, different brand name.

Thanks everyone for your really helpful advice - and the Ingleburn Vet dosage guide is really helpful.

So I've bought some Polaramine instead since it specifically refers to grass allergies on the box and I'm fairly sure thats that main problem - and if that doesn't work I'll try something else.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

Edited by westiemum

Hi Everyone,

Going to have to resort to an antihistamine for my westie girl who is having a hard time allergy wise. Its the usual - eyes and licking her paws (they are very stained). Her tummy which is sometimes pink isn't too bad at the moment although she is scratching. The grass seeds and burrs in the back yard are particularly bad at the moment. We are cleaning it up but its taking time. (I suspect that this is where the problem allergen is).

So has anyone used the Telfast in the green box for dogs? And if so what dose? It looks like it would be particularly good for these symptoms.

Or is there something else 'over the counter' that people would recommend?

Apologies for the repeat thread - searched but couldn't find any info on Telfast

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Westiemum I used Polramine for mine , I uaed to buy it from the vets till we both realised that it was cheaper from the chemist. He found out the correct dosage for me and how many times a day I could give it to him. It was a wonder, hope it works for your fellos.

Westiemum :thumbsup:

Thanks LB - yes it seems polaramine is the top of the pops antihistamine - so thats what I'm trying. I'm giving her 3mg twice daily based on the Ingleburn Vets dosage guide - and her eyes are looking better already. Yes I bought a box from the chemist too - and was surprised how cheap it is - half the price of the others on the shelf (of course I had to ask for it - it was behind the counter!).

By any chance do you remember the dosage that your vet gave you? Just would be interesting to compare - I'm very wary of under-dosing and then assuming it doesn''t work (wary of over-dosing as well of course).

Thanks again and we'll see how we go.

Cheers,

Edited by westiemum

If you have Chemist Warehouse near you, I find them very cheap for Polaramine.

I take Polaramine as well as my dog at times. :thumbsup: The 2mg tabs are the ones I buy.

I just thought I might mention for anyone reading the thread, DON'T buy the stronger 6mg tablets as they are not meant to be cut, thus making dosage for dogs difficult. They have a slow release formula type coating on the outside which should not be cut or broken. I read this information just recently, by chance, and thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks Erny. Will pick some calendula tea this afternoon.

Cheers

Westiemum

PS :thumbsup: Erny I couldn't get a hold of the RAC Site Manager I need to talk to about the Wii and the games the oldies use yesterday afternoon - so will try again for you on Monday - even if its just the games they enjoy. Cheers WM/.

My Vet suggested to me to have anti-histamines on hand, but to only use them if my dog's scratching was damaging his already damaged skin. In the meantime, to bath with Calendula Tea. The latter did the trick and the anti-histamines remain unopened in the medicine cabinet.

Thanks sumosmum - thats good to know about the 6 mg tabs - I have the 2mg tabs so will stick to them too. Will check out Chemist Warehouse next time I'm in the city,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

If you have Chemist Warehouse near you, I find them very cheap for Polaramine.

I take Polaramine as well as my dog at times. :thumbsup: The 2mg tabs are the ones I buy.

I just thought I might mention for anyone reading the thread, DON'T buy the stronger 6mg tablets as they are not meant to be cut, thus making dosage for dogs difficult. They have a slow release formula type coating on the outside which should not be cut or broken. I read this information just recently, by chance, and thought it was worth a mention.

PS :thumbsup: Erny I couldn't get a hold of the RAC Site Manager I need to talk to about the Wii and the games the oldies use yesterday afternoon - so will try again for you on Monday - even if its just the games they enjoy. Cheers WM/.

:( Thanks WM .... don't worry for now though. I spoke to my sister and she didn't think Dad would use the Wii that much if at all - I don't want to spend that sort of money only to find he won't use it. I didn't know that she has Wii so next time the folks are over we're going to set up a game and see how interested they are in it. But thanks again for the offer of the info.

It would still be good to know what the oldies enjoy though, as the idea is not completely off the list.

In the meantime, I'm getting him some PJ's. :laugh: ..... boring, compared to my idea I know. But hey :rofl::laugh:. Dad is 85 years old today and I'm very proud of how fit, strong and well he is. He always finds time to have a game of ball with my dog whenever I go over there. Sometimes Dad sits in a chair and throws the ball from there. Mandela doesn't care, and Dad's taught him to drop the ball back in his lap so he doesn't have to bend down for it.

Sorry for the OT.

Erny you're a legend! :laugh:

I made up a stock pot of calendula tea yesterday afternoon, (normal tea strength), let it cool and then bathed her in it. I decided not to rinse and just towelled her off - and her scratching has already decreased and her tummy is less red. I plan to bathe her again Wednesday night then again on the weekend and then go to once a week or as needed. Do you think thats about right?

Thanks tons - For us I think you've just given me the miracle cure! (And its soooo cheap!)

Westiemum and Sarah :shrug: