Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Jazzyjules pardon my ignorance but are show and race greyhounds different lines? Or can dogs be cross registered.

Race greys, are bred for that, good racers, bred to good racers. (well thats my understanding anyway) Show Greys are bred to the breed standard, however you can get the two to cross..I was going to get a friend of mine who raced greys, to register his boy who i :) with the CAWA so I could show him, cause he was lovely.

Jazzyjules pardon my ignorance but are show and race greyhounds different lines? Or can dogs be cross registered.

Tell you the truth I don't know much about show greyhounds, I've only ever seen one and that was at the Royal Show but I know that only greyhounds bred for racing (they have special breeding papers for racing) can be registered to race and once they have finished they have to be deregistered, a form for the industry has to be filled out if a racing greyhound has to be euthanised or put in the greyhounds as pets program, the racing industry is very strict which is great.

I guess though 99% of the Greyhounds are bred for racing so I'm assuming they would be the same lines but just not registered for racing.

They don't have to be registered for racing until they have gone thru the 'breaking in' stage (around 18mths) which is just their training in how to jump from the boxes, chasing the lure, running around the track etc, alot of the 'pups' don't actually make it thru being not quick enough, can't be bothered or see the point in chasing a stupid squeeky rabbit or they just want to play instead of racing around the track, I don't see why any of these dogs couldn't become a show dog.

Guest belgian.blue
A lot would start looking for accommodation during O week if they haven't already. How does having your details at Curtin help students from UWA? As far as I am aware all Uni's are independant of each other. I went to UWA and know quite a few people who rented in Vic Park.

Sorry my error .. I misread UWA for Curtin :)

But I will ring up UWA now and put down my details.

Thanks for the agility replies everyone :)

I had a look at the ACWA website last night and saw enrolments are this Tuesday. Do you need to bring your dog down for an assessment then? Where do I go? :) Any other agility newbies wanna join with me? :)

Edited by RubyStar

Hi everyone sorry to intrude i did introduce myself a few posts bac but kinda in the middle of a different topic so i dont think anyone read it lol , anyhow i was jus wondering if theres anyone from bunbury on here i've recently moved here and would luv to meet more doggy lovers

Hi kinad, welcome to the thread.

I'm not from Bunbury but looovee that part of WA.

What breed do you have?

I'm a Greyhound nut myself

hi jazzyjules nice to meet you at the moment i dont have any but i'm gettina bull terrier as soon as i find the perfect one , pretty excited i cant wait

Guest RosieFT

Hi RS :-)

I started last term with ACWA and had done no specific agility training except Rosie knew how to wait (in theory... sigh.. hehe) and release, and I had popped her over a few home made jumps. It helps that she is very toy oriented as i can *mostly* keep her focus on me... well when we are actively doing an activity. Before the class she is a tad excited.. LOL...

Also helps if you can leave them somewhere whilst you help out. Rosie hangs out in her crate if i am busy.

I am far from expert, still very much a beginner but so far enjoying it!

Hope to see you on Tuesday! :-)

Go to the caravan thingy at the bottom oval :) , I'm not sure if they have a class with your dog this Tuesday or not, my guess is they would? When I enrolled Kyzer we had a class but I can't remember if that was the start of a term or not.

Everyone usually gets there around 6.30 to set up equipment.

Also, not sure if you already have, but if you download the form from the website (Under ACWA Membership Form on sidebar) it will save a bit of time.

Guest RosieFT

oh, just reread your post and saw the questions... it is held on the bottom/back oval and there is a little hut/shed thing where you enrol in. You don't need to be assessed - hmm well i didn't as I knew we were rank beginners!!!! You just start on the night. It is a bit chaotic as there are quite a few dogs, but you soon figure out what is going on. Just my take on things!

Guest RosieFT

Well you won't miss me.. i will be the one with the hyper foxie.. or if without dog and 'helping' set up.. i will be wandering aimlessly trying to help set up things i have no idea about LOL.

I have found that the people are very friendly and helpful, so am sure you can just ask someone. I started off in the young puppy group till Amypie pointed out to me that my dog was obviously in the wrong group LOL. You have the puppies, then the big group of dogs (all types of breeds) and people (adult foundations) then next group along really know what they are doing (mostly border collies, with a few other breeds thrown in LOL). The more advanced group goes after these other groups finish, at 8.(almost all border collies hehe).

Yep basically what RosieFT said, those are the four main groups.

I'm in the end group this year and I'm freaking out, I had two main goals for the summer break - fade out the target on the contacts and progress onto 12 weaves and I haven't done either! :) Terrible. Wonder if I can fade out the target in 4 days :)

I don't know if Toby will ever make it, cause if I move out he has to stay with my parents and cause if his past leg injury he is likely to get arthritis so I am limited in my practice of jumping and I'm not sure about him and the A-Frame. I am thinking of just training him as a jumpers dog. :)

Thanks guys :laugh:

Man I am gonna look so lost there :thumbsup: I know the grounds well, but signing up for something new makes me nervous :)

Hey Rubystar, Jenna trains there with Mirrawee so I'm never far away and you know Amiepie too, as well as I'm sure a pile of others so your amoungst friends so don't be nervous.

Hi everyone sorry to intrude i did introduce myself a few posts bac but kinda in the middle of a different topic so i dont think anyone read it lol , anyhow i was jus wondering if theres anyone from bunbury on here i've recently moved here and would luv to meet more doggy lovers

Hi :)

I am from Esperance myself, but there are some who are from Bunbury or near by who will pop in soon I am sure.

I am from Esperance myself, but there are some who are from Bunbury or near by who will pop in soon I am sure.

hi there rommie , my hubby has jus finished working in esperance nice place i'd like to visit one day

hi there rommie , my hubby has jus finished working in esperance nice place i'd like to visit one day

Oh where was he working? It is very nice this time of year, good beaching weather. If you visit, well have to catch up for a coffee :thumbsup: