Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Thanks Mim, we think he's pretty awesome :)

He's a rehome - his previous owners have been transferred to Paris, I found out about him on a dane FB group I'm a member of.

His parentage is a bit of a mystery. One of the dane breeders in Perth is also a vet nurse, and the mother came into the vet clinic to have a C section, but the owners didn't want the pups as it was an accidental mating, which suggests at least one of the parents is pedigreed. Anyway the pups were taken home by the vet nurse/breeder and hand raised, so she still has Rolf's brother, and is in touch with the other babies. Rolf and his sister went together. Jump forward nearly two years, when the owners got notice they were being transferred the vet nurse/breeder assisted in the rehoming of Rolf and his sister, and I put my hand up and passed the screening process, and Rolf passed MY screening process:

DSCN2359.jpg

:D

Congrats Horty!! Rolf is lovely, and a happy ending for Rolf now blessed to live with you. Look forward to meeting him.

I may be going to the MPW... although possibly without a dog if Lulu is still in season. I can't really trust Ari or Spartan and the distance is too far for James i think. I'll be walking with the Weimaraner club of WA.

Absolutely gorgeous new addition, Horty!!! Congrats :D

As MG said, the RATG is on the same day as the MPW. I'm disappointed by the entry numbers for the RATG this time, it looks like we lost some :( There are only 6 entries in novice, and 2 of them are mine, and 1 is MG's. Quite sad, really :( I can see that the clubs won't put any more on as it is not worth their time and effort for only 6 novice entrants (3 in open). Such a shame for those unpapered gundogs just itching to retrieve, and for newbies coming up that want to dip their toe in before committing to a real trial. I'm gonna hit up every gundog owner I see at other trials to get them involved!!

Thanks everyone :) we adore him and he's bonded with us really well, the first pic of him at the beach was taken 9 days after we got him and he already responded to us well enough to trust his recall :thumbsup:

Congrats Horty he is lovely, we need to meet up and let the dogs have a play as Gibbs has missed out on a heap of socialization since his surgey

Will definitely have to catch up but it won't be for a few weeks at least - I move to D's place in Mandurah in 10 days and am flat stick at the moment!

PM me for the next Perth get together though (btw, we have got very slack without arty farty to organise them for us all!) and we'll come

Awww how lovely Horty! I don't think your cat food is safe on that bench anymore lol

Believe it or not, it is 100% safe, as is our human food on the bench. Surprised me too, but we REALLY got the right dog for us, 'cos I'm not a fan of 'counter surfing'. The only problem is he'll occasionally sniff something, but his lips being dangly means they drag across whatever he's sniffing :laugh: which is where the 'out of the kitchen' rule comes in!

He and Ella love each other to pieces too, so it's a match made in heaven :)

ST, will look out for you if I spot the weimaraners at the Million Paws.

Rubystar, sorry to hear RATG is not taking off as you'd like.

Edited by hortfurball

Mine simply just aren't ready for the RATG, and i don't want to set them up to fail.. Teh other weimaraner who was entered last time is in 5th year veterinary science and i dont' think she can spare the time or the money at the moment. I entered last time to boost entries for the club but can't do that every time.

Mine simply just aren't ready for the RATG, and i don't want to set them up to fail.. Teh other weimaraner who was entered last time is in 5th year veterinary science and i dont' think she can spare the time or the money at the moment. I entered last time to boost entries for the club but can't do that every time.

That's understandable, and I forgot about you and RV entering to boost numbers last time so that is why numbers seem lower this time I guess. I am just generally disappointed in lack of participation as a whole, and that is not directed at any certain individuals in the slightest for why they can or can't enter, just a general :( about it. A bit like a sport dying out before it takes off. I get the impression that numbers in the eastern states have been good, it's just a shame WA don't have the numbers.

I really like how the Retrieving Club are allowing NFC entries for dogs who have their title and want to stay down a level. I wonder if at any point in the future NFC might be offered for non-papered dogs. Millie would luuuuuurve that!!! thumbsup1.giflaugh.gif

That's understandable, and I forgot about you and RV entering to boost numbers last time so that is why numbers seem lower this time I guess. I am just generally disappointed in lack of participation as a whole, and that is not directed at any certain individuals in the slightest for why they can or can't enter, just a general :( about it. A bit like a sport dying out before it takes off. I get the impression that numbers in the eastern states have been good, it's just a shame WA don't have the numbers.

I really like how the Retrieving Club are allowing NFC entries for dogs who have their title and want to stay down a level. I wonder if at any point in the future NFC might be offered for non-papered dogs. Millie would luuuuuurve that!!! thumbsup1.giflaugh.gif

Yeah it is disappointing numbers wise as I don't think I will ever get to run in a real trial as I'm just not prepared to enter a trial when iv never handled a gun before plus Mason hasn't had a gun shot right next to him. Then they make the training days so far out of Perth and it will cost me like half a tank of fuel if I'm lucky to get there and back , probably more in the new car. I'm being real careful with money as we desperately want to buy some land and start building.

Horty no hassles Gibbs is still on restricted exercise ( on lead only) until after the public holiday anyway :)

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

Yeah it is disappointing numbers wise as I don't think I will ever get to run in a real trial as I'm just not prepared to enter a trial when iv never handled a gun before plus Mason hasn't had a gun shot right next to him. Then they make the training days so far out of Perth and it will cost me like half a tank of fuel if I'm lucky to get there and back , probably more in the new car. I'm being real careful with money as we desperately want to buy some land and start building.

Horty no hassles Gibbs is still on restricted exercise ( on lead only) until after the public holiday anyway :)

This is the same reason i will probably not get herding titles on my girls i so want to do it but each class is $30 per dog and its in mandurah so $60 per class for 2 dogs and another $40 odd in fuel expensive exercise :(

Horty love the new addition gorgeous

Ditto me with herding... except it isn't so much the money for me but the time :( Takes a long time for me to drive to Mandurah! The times I have gone I have had to pretty well devote the whole day to it which I can't do very often :(

Yep you can count a whole day out plus petrol for retrieving. Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy it do much cos I can't afford the time or money these days with study! :laugh:

Most pleasures cost money and time I'm afraid. You could spend heaps of money on regularly going out to dinner, nightclubs, clothes, shoes, booze, cigarettes, golf, movies etc etc. Everything is relative, and we choose dog sports. The days of having retrieving trials close to Perth are sadly gone, and yes it takes dedication to the sport to keep at it, but as RS knows,you get hooked and you and the dogs enjoy it so much. I sometimes think, what would I do without retrieving ? Maybe obedience, but I find that boring, agility ? hmm hours and hours of training and no equipment handy to practice with. Tracking, yep can do that, sortof. At least the retrieving has me and the dogs out in the fresh air. We have fun, they love it; I love seeing them work; and most of the people involved in the sport are good mates.

BTW Rubystar you did good yesterday !!!

Yep you can count a whole day out plus petrol for retrieving. Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy it do much cos I can't afford the time or money these days with study! :laugh:

Most pleasures cost money and time I'm afraid. You could spend heaps of money on regularly going out to dinner, nightclubs, clothes, shoes, booze, cigarettes, golf, movies etc etc. Everything is relative, and we choose dog sports. The days of having retrieving trials close to Perth are sadly gone, and yes it takes dedication to the sport to keep at it, but as RS knows,you get hooked and you and the dogs enjoy it so much. I sometimes think, what would I do without retrieving ? Maybe obedience, but I find that boring, agility ? hmm hours and hours of training and no equipment handy to practice with. Tracking, yep can do that, sortof. At least the retrieving has me and the dogs out in the fresh air. We have fun, they love it; I love seeing them work; and most of the people involved in the sport are good mates.

Yep it's all relative except I don't smoke, don't go out to dinner, rarely drink, so I don't have much to compare the relative spending with :rofl:

I wouldn't like to think how much money I've spent over the years on training, seminars, trialling, equipment, etc etc!! But I do it cos I love it and the dogs are my fun outlet :D

My first time solo on a thrower yesterday so I was a bit scared.... pleased to say I only had one misthrow the entire day.... not so pleased to say that it had to be for your run!!! :o :o

And congrats on your 3rd place!!

Edited by RubyStar

We just cutting back on everything at the moment, desperately want my own place now, so over renting !! Mason really needs practice with the gun but I can't see myself getting to the training day in June :(

This is the same reason i will probably not get herding titles on my girls i so want to do it but each class is $30 per dog and its in mandurah so $60 per class for 2 dogs and another $40 odd in fuel expensive exercise :(

You can get a $5ea discount for joining the herding club ($10/yr) and another $5ea off once the dog has its first herding title :) We pay $40 per session for 2 dogs and up to 3 hours on stock.

I understand about the travel though! It's not so bad for us, but if we lived any further north I'd probably struggle too :(

Look out for me on sunday with Buddy :) he is coming along. We aren't taking any shelter dogs so I'm taking my little boy would be good for him to see some dogs i know arent going to eat him. He is generally up in arms at events like this because I am not so trustworthy of other dogs.

CC- if your taking your camera I might have to trouble you for a good pic of budd, he hasnt had one since he got his eye removed I am thinking of getting another houndstooth shoot since this is now him and its how I wanna remember him. The old guy is showing his age with vet visits to the vet weekly at the moment hoping a nice day out will be good for him.

I am so keen for a DOL meet because Buddy always loves them and i know i can trust the dogs with him haha, Perry's Paddock is looking great at the moment and I think that the snakes are hopefully going into hybernation.