Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I'm on board re: the travel thread! I'm about to move to Walpole and still plan to come to trials in Perth (haven't really got a choice as there aren't many down south) but the time and petrol costs are going to hurt.... :(

If anyone has any suggestions on training alone (the closest club to Walpole is 1 1/2 hours away) please let me know :confused: I'm particularly worried about proofing stays etc as won't have any other dogs to practise with.

Yep you can count a whole day out plus petrol for retrieving. Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy it do much cos I can't afford the time or money these days with study! :laugh:

Most pleasures cost money and time I'm afraid. You could spend heaps of money on regularly going out to dinner, nightclubs, clothes, shoes, booze, cigarettes, golf, movies etc etc. Everything is relative, and we choose dog sports. The days of having retrieving trials close to Perth are sadly gone, and yes it takes dedication to the sport to keep at it, but as RS knows,you get hooked and you and the dogs enjoy it so much. I sometimes think, what would I do without retrieving ? Maybe obedience, but I find that boring, agility ? hmm hours and hours of training and no equipment handy to practice with. Tracking, yep can do that, sortof. At least the retrieving has me and the dogs out in the fresh air. We have fun, they love it; I love seeing them work; and most of the people involved in the sport are good mates.

BTW Rubystar you did good yesterday !!!

Yep it's all relative except I don't smoke, don't go out to dinner, rarely drink, so I don't have much to compare the relative spending with :rofl:

I wouldn't like to think how much money I've spent over the years on training, seminars, trialling, equipment, etc etc!! But I do it cos I love it and the dogs are my fun outlet :D

My first time solo on a thrower yesterday so I was a bit scared.... pleased to say I only had one misthrow the entire day.... not so pleased to say that it had to be for your run!!! :o :o

And congrats on your 3rd place!!

Ah but you could be, that is the difference.

I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on retrieving, with a trip over east at least once a year since 1998, and all the entries in that time, I don't want to think about it !

But it is my sport and I love it, so I'd rather die happy than rich.

Did you have a missthrow ? Oh yes I remember now. Never mind it happens. For a newbie you did really well as did Livertreats.

Thanks for the congrats; really pleased with the little girl.

You are brave to ho on the thrower RS !!

It's not so bad, especially when competitors realise misthrows happen and we're not doing it on purpose laugh.gif

Beats having to juggle 3 birdies in one hand, plus gun, plus returning the lead! I have tiny hands! laugh.giflaugh.gif My little finger did take a beating, though, no matter which way I tried putting my hand, the clip kept springing back to get me, ouch!!

Edited by RubyStar

Ditto me with herding... except it isn't so much the money for me but the time :( Takes a long time for me to drive to Mandurah! The times I have gone I have had to pretty well devote the whole day to it which I can't do very often :(

Oh yes i'll stop bitching you have to travel further. Yep the whole day i need to find a sitter hmmm who can i rope in ROFL

Yep you can count a whole day out plus petrol for retrieving. Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy it do much cos I can't afford the time or money these days with study! :laugh:

Most pleasures cost money and time I'm afraid. You could spend heaps of money on regularly going out to dinner, nightclubs, clothes, shoes, booze, cigarettes, golf, movies etc etc. Everything is relative, and we choose dog sports. The days of having retrieving trials close to Perth are sadly gone, and yes it takes dedication to the sport to keep at it, but as RS knows,you get hooked and you and the dogs enjoy it so much. I sometimes think, what would I do without retrieving ? Maybe obedience, but I find that boring, agility ? hmm hours and hours of training and no equipment handy to practice with. Tracking, yep can do that, sortof. At least the retrieving has me and the dogs out in the fresh air. We have fun, they love it; I love seeing them work; and most of the people involved in the sport are good mates.

BTW Rubystar you did good yesterday !!!

Oh yes i understand everything costing money, its more the travel distance with kids that is the turn off might just have to wait to they are older and concentrate on something closer to home, i am hoping to start trialing chandra in obedience and mayeb agility for both girls os i can start with that :D

This is the same reason i will probably not get herding titles on my girls i so want to do it but each class is $30 per dog and its in mandurah so $60 per class for 2 dogs and another $40 odd in fuel expensive exercise :(

You can get a $5ea discount for joining the herding club ($10/yr) and another $5ea off once the dog has its first herding title :) We pay $40 per session for 2 dogs and up to 3 hours on stock.

I understand about the travel though! It's not so bad for us, but if we lived any further north I'd probably struggle too :(

Oh that's not too bad if you get that amount of time and discount is offered. I might come down dogless and watch for a bit and see if it is something i want to pursue :D

This is the same reason i will probably not get herding titles on my girls i so want to do it but each class is $30 per dog and its in mandurah so $60 per class for 2 dogs and another $40 odd in fuel expensive exercise :(

You can get a $5ea discount for joining the herding club ($10/yr) and another $5ea off once the dog has its first herding title :) We pay $40 per session for 2 dogs and up to 3 hours on stock.

I understand about the travel though! It's not so bad for us, but if we lived any further north I'd probably struggle too :(

Oh that's not too bad if you get that amount of time and discount is offered. I might come down dogless and watch for a bit and see if it is something i want to pursue :D

:thumbsup: :)

I think last year they had some 'come & try' days at Bedfordale, I'll find out if there are any of those coming up and let you know :)

:thumbsup: :)

I think last year they had some 'come & try' days at Bedfordale, I'll find out if there are any of those coming up and let you know :)

That would be awesome Thankyou :)

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd see if I could ask you guys a few questions about living in W.A. My partner is in the Defence and in the next few weeks we have to put in ou preferences for our next posting (altough we won't be moving for about another year).

If we did get posted to Perth we would living somewhere around within 30-40minutes to the Base (sorry I don't know the suburbs). Are there some good dog clubs in that general area? I currently have two Border Collies and we train and compete in obedience, agility and flyball. My OH handles our older boy and I'm currently training our girl who I've also just started a little bit of hearding with.

Are there any important Pros and Cons I should know about Perth? I already know one huge con- No flyball :cry:

eta- I currently live in Sydney

Edited by ~Rumour~

Hey rumour

Do you know which base he would be at?

If it's the Naval Base at Garden Island then Weasels will probably be a good person to talk to.

In terms of trialing and clubs, most agility and obedience trials are held at the Dogswest grounds which are in Southern River.

Hey Rumour - I am sure Perth is going to seem like a sleepy little town coming from Sydney :laugh:

Deb O (with toller Zippa) is currently posted to Pearce - she trains with ACWA at the K9 grounds on a Tuesday. Midland would be the closest club to Pearce - they have obedience and DWD, not sure about agility.

Hey Rumour - I am sure Perth is going to seem like a sleepy little town coming from Sydney :laugh:

Deb O (with toller Zippa) is currently posted to Pearce - she trains with ACWA at the K9 grounds on a Tuesday. Midland would be the closest club to Pearce - they have obedience and DWD, not sure about agility.

Thanks for the ionformation. I think everywhere is going to seem so different this posting as I've only every been in Sydney and Brisbane. We are currently looking at W.A. and South Australia (can't remember the third prefernce) which a both very very different to Sydeny

babies are now 3 weeks old :eek: talk about fun - I have extended their whelping box so they now have a small area attached to strutt their stuff and trying to change their bedding is a whole lot of fun NOT

I-squeak has the lungs of a very large I-SQUEAK and annoys the hell out of me, the light coloured girl is still mums favourite and the other girl - well she is built most like Cider. Have one of the lucky families coming for their first visit this weekend. So far I don't have a favourite.......

Thanks for the ionformation. I think everywhere is going to seem so different this posting as I've only every been in Sydney and Brisbane. We are currently looking at W.A. and South Australia (can't remember the third prefernce) which a both very very different to Sydeny

Perth is dog-training heaven - so many great dogs and great trainers there. Maybe no flyball, but they're super for most everything else. (Says one who could hardly live further away :rofl:

Is the base you're living on now on the outskirts of town? Even Perth people would think that Pearce is quite a way from anything although the Gingin area is pretty. Have a look on Google Earth if you haven't already.

babies are now 3 weeks old :eek: talk about fun - I have extended their whelping box so they now have a small area attached to strutt their stuff and trying to change their bedding is a whole lot of fun NOT

I-squeak has the lungs of a very large I-SQUEAK and annoys the hell out of me, the light coloured girl is still mums favourite and the other girl - well she is built most like Cider. Have one of the lucky families coming for their first visit this weekend. So far I don't have a favourite.......

Oh dear yes I had a loud one in my litter too Ptolomy - Ginger whinger (orange ribbon) stopped whining when he opened his eyes, but went back to being a whinger later on around 5-6 weeks!! he was just never satisfied LOL

Is the base you're living on now on the outskirts of town? Even Perth people would think that Pearce is quite a way from anything although the Gingin area is pretty. Have a look on Google Earth if you haven't already.

Not really LOL. I know quite a few people who live further out than the base and regularly compete in dog showing :laugh: I probably live a similar distance although slightly different direction...

Midland is the closest Club to Pearce (30 mins or less) with Northern Suburbs being not too much further and depending on where exactly you are based it is likely to be closer. Southern River, where most of the competitions are held and there are more training Club, is 1 hour at most from Pearce airbase :)

I will be at Pearce on Saturday doing parking for their Airshow :rofl: