Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I just watched videos on YouTube of Trick (Trix?) the black Lab 3rd run in retrieving. Awesome :thumbsup: Still makes me want to do retrieving :thumbsup: Love the idea of the new title you were talking about Valley (what was the title actually called again?) but realistically, with only 4 training days, it seems almost impossible for a newbie to get into the sport. Wouldn't have a clue how to train the in between bits!

Valley, do you have somewhere where you can practice? If we lived closer together we could meet up to train.

Rubystar, if you are interested in the Retrieving Club's training days, give their secretary a call for the times. It should be in the Canine News, or else phone DogsWest for the contact number. The first training day I have heard, is going to be May 8th, so as not to clash with Mothers Day on the 9th. These training days are really to answer any questions new people might have about the sport, and, to let them have a go at a retrieve as close as possible to how it may be in a trial, but without the distance. Newbies can opt for their own favourite dummy for their dog to retrieve, and also, there is the opportunity for the dog to hear gunshot, whether it be from afar or up close (your choice). The main problem we seem to encounter with novice dogs/handlers to the sport is lack of obedience, which is really a necessity, as the excitement of the whole retrieving thing, takes hold of youngsters and if you haven't got that obedience instilled into your dog, then it can be a trying time. At the training day, you can keep your dog on a lead if required, and there will be more experienced people to help and advise. I have given ValleyCBR a DVD which goes over basics in training, maybe she will loan it to you too. It might help a bit.

I would like to go to the retrieving day, my young dog is a bit iffy in his obedience, he has his good days and bad, some days he is brilliant off-lead, other days he is shocking!

The secretary will be emailing me to confirm details so I will post when I have them :cry: I thought I had a Chesapeake with reliable recall but today he saw a roo for the first time and the recall went away :champagne:

I just watched videos on YouTube of Trick (Trix?) the black Lab 3rd run in retrieving. Awesome :cry: Still makes me want to do retrieving :champagne: Love the idea of the new title you were talking about Valley (what was the title actually called again?) but realistically, with only 4 training days, it seems almost impossible for a newbie to get into the sport. Wouldn't have a clue how to train the in between bits!

Valley, do you have somewhere where you can practice? If we lived closer together we could meet up to train.

Rubystar, if you are interested in the Retrieving Club's training days, give their secretary a call for the times. It should be in the Canine News, or else phone DogsWest for the contact number. The first training day I have heard, is going to be May 8th, so as not to clash with Mothers Day on the 9th. These training days are really to answer any questions new people might have about the sport, and, to let them have a go at a retrieve as close as possible to how it may be in a trial, but without the distance. Newbies can opt for their own favourite dummy for their dog to retrieve, and also, there is the opportunity for the dog to hear gunshot, whether it be from afar or up close (your choice). The main problem we seem to encounter with novice dogs/handlers to the sport is lack of obedience, which is really a necessity, as the excitement of the whole retrieving thing, takes hold of youngsters and if you haven't got that obedience instilled into your dog, then it can be a trying time. At the training day, you can keep your dog on a lead if required, and there will be more experienced people to help and advise. I have given ValleyCBR a DVD which goes over basics in training, maybe she will loan it to you too. It might help a bit.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely come along :thumbsup: I'll send Lyn an email, is she still the person to contact? My primary focus is obedience trialling so we should be ok :thumbsup:

Email to Lynne is sent :champagne:

Just got an email about stewarding Nationals, there goes my Saturday sleepin! I'm down for Sat morning when I noted Sat arvo. Oh well. But I am dead scared about being scribe, I thought they said only those who had done it before were going to be scribe :thumbsup:

RosieFT, you're scribe Friday morning, have fun :thumbsup::cry:

Edited by RubyStar

Happy birthday Banjo, Lilly, Amypie's Dad and my Mum :thumbsup::laugh: Seems to be the day for it :laugh:

Wish Barb a slightly late Happy Birthday from me, hope she had a great day. Also hope your dad had a great day Amypie.

For the dinner thing OzJen was trying to organise for Wednesday night, another option for dinner is Checkers restaurant (buffet) at the Cannington Greyhounds. Drove past tonight and it is $27 on a Wed night for their buffet. Their food sounds really really yummy :thumbsup:

Menu and info:

http://www.greyhoundswa.com.au/Portals/0/d...day%20print.pdf

Just a suggestion!

Sounds good to me!!

Sounds good to me too, so anyone interested in going we will need definaite numbers so that we can book a table. Mirrawee I know you won't know till Tuesday but don't think one person will be an issue if we book for you and you can't make it.

Rubystar do you know what time they start serving or wether we have to pay gate entry on top of the meal? Might check with some other doggie friends and see if they want to join us.

I'm not sure, I don't believe you have to pay a gate entry fee but I will see if I can find out. Opens 6pm til 11pm. We can get there around 7pm like you originally said I think?

As OzJen said, we need definite numbers because we have to book at this place. Can you please advise by Tuesday arvo around 3pm if you intend on coming so that I or OzJen can ring up and book? Just add your name to the list:

1. OzJen

2. RubyStar

3. Amypie

4. Mirawee (maybe?)

5. J my sister

Guest RosieFT

argh, finally remembered my log in so i could get in here on my dad's computer!

Rubystar - you have got to be joking. i can't scribe at the nationals. i am yet to attend to watch a competition. argh. i was so relieved to have been an 'extra'. when did you get the email? i was home this morning and had nothing. i won't be able to check until tomorrow afternoon. what time do we have to be there in the morning?

i was even going to see if they still needed me as they seemed to have so many when we were there last week. now i am worried!!

amypie - it is like a mini holiday. Being spoilt and so are the kids :-) . Bit far to get to the grounds on friday morning so early though! eek.

not happy now. :-( happy to help, but not be stressed LOL

Just got an email about stewarding Nationals, there goes my Saturday sleepin! I'm down for Sat morning when I noted Sat arvo. Oh well. But I am dead scared about being scribe, I thought they said only those who had done it before were going to be scribe :laugh:

Rubystar - I am telling you now my number for Saturday morning is 1178 my time is 34 seconds and he did go clear - got it :thumbsup::laugh:

So Valley - did the CBRetriever bring anything home :eek: .....Norty boy!!!

We have "kangaroo o'clock" at our place. Thats usually before 7am and after 5pm, depending on the time of year. Before and after those times Zola is not allowed out without a lead. Ridgebacks do not have reliable recall when they smell a roo! She hasnt bolted now for a few months, but last time it was over the road, which is very distressing.

I had the good fortune to see a sheep dog demo at the Balingup Small Farm Field Day on Saturday. And I also go to cuddle the best little Kelpie pup out! A 13 week old Red & Tan demonstrating the most amazing instinct :laugh: . Even stood up to a stubborn ewe, but the guy demonstrating brought out an older dog to ensure the pup didnt get any frights. Guess who might have to take up sheep dog trials :thumbsup::laugh:

Rat

argh, finally remembered my log in so i could get in here on my dad's computer!

Rubystar - you have got to be joking. i can't scribe at the nationals. i am yet to attend to watch a competition. argh. i was so relieved to have been an 'extra'. when did you get the email? i was home this morning and had nothing. i won't be able to check until tomorrow afternoon. what time do we have to be there in the morning?

i was even going to see if they still needed me as they seemed to have so many when we were there last week. now i am worried!!

amypie - it is like a mini holiday. Being spoilt and so are the kids :-) . Bit far to get to the grounds on friday morning so early though! eek.

not happy now. :-( happy to help, but not be stressed LOL

That's okay RosieFT all you have to do is mark the boxes as the judge directs, each judge will let you know before hand what signals they will use and what they want you to put down, you don't need to know anything about agility as long as you can accuarately fill in the info as the judge directs. Your timer will be watching for the signals too so your not likely to miss anything. I usually jot down what the signals mean so I don't forget but thats because I have a seniors memory there are really only a couple of signals. :thumbsup:

So Valley - did the CBRetriever bring anything home :laugh: .....Norty boy!!!

We have "kangaroo o'clock" at our place. Thats usually before 7am and after 5pm, depending on the time of year. Before and after those times Zola is not allowed out without a lead. Ridgebacks do not have reliable recall when they smell a roo! She hasnt bolted now for a few months, but last time it was over the road, which is very distressing.

No because he was so tired from the DOL meet this morning he was only able to muster up a slow canter :laugh: . The older boys found some horses to hang out with and we had to go collect them so the horseys could continue thier ride. :thumbsup:

Guest RosieFT

Thanks for those calming, kind words of wisdom ozjen.... still, would be nice to practice on a local comp first.. i might call them tomorrow and tell them how much of a gumby i am LOL. I thought i would be running sheets and/or drinks to judges.

sorry to miss the meet up today. OH had to go meet the tiler and I had the kids.

We had a lovely day at the beach the other day though. So nice being so near by to the ocean. As an aside, there was a very enthusiastic, friendly staffy barrelling about the place. That appeared to run full tilt at Rosie, then line her up and head butted her. The hollow sound resounded over the ocean... hee hee.. would this be lack of vision or do some dogs play 'its a knockout" ??? We encountered it a bit later and it tried it again, i was ready this time and moved rosie out of the way at the last second.

Guest RosieFT

Amy - actually stopped hyperventilating, played WII bowling with my OH and dad - loving my mini break- and came back on, only to read about your placing. Well done!!!! :-)