Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

The darker Goldens are my preference, but so too are the dogs with a finer coat consistency. The heavy coated show Goldens, especially the creams, are not for me. When you work a Golden through mud, heavy cover and long swims, the finer coat is a godsend. I know who you are talking about with the dark gold boy at agility, they are close friends; the dog is a brother to my bitch who is also dark gold. That line is very athletic, which is evident by the success in the different arenas that we compete. Depending on just what you want your Golden for, make sure you are aware of the background of the puppies. Parents having a show title only, will probably not give you a dog suitable for the field, agility, or DWD, but be a great pet. My two kids are field bred, with just a hint of show lines put in there, but, the pedigree behind them shows the success in the field that I was after, and combined together, their puppies should be top candidates for all types of activities, especially the field.

Goldie puppies would have to be about the sweetest, tempting puppies you could ever wish to see, but prospective owners need to be firm with themselves and know exactly what type of pup is wanted and, the purpose of the puppy. I'm sure many people have been caught out with the cuteness of a puppy and bought on impulse, only to find that the pup doesn't fulfill the original requirements at all. Some element of luck is required, but seeing you have a dog for up to around 15 years, you may as well get as near to right as you can in selecting the puppy in the first place. Just my opinion.

Yeah I think my next dog I would know better and teach them correctly from the beginning

Yeah that's what I said! Oops! :cry::laugh:

Those puppies sure are cute!

Is anyone keen for an impulse meet at Piney Lakes later? I'm bored and don't want to do housework :laugh: i'm flexible with the time and duration :)

Yeah I think my next dog I would know better and teach them correctly from the beginning

Yeah that's what I said! Oops! :cry::laugh:

Those puppies sure are cute!

Is anyone keen for an impulse meet at Piney Lakes later? I'm bored and don't want to do housework :laugh: i'm flexible with the time and duration :)

I'd normally say yes, but actually have a few things to do today :D

FREE TO ANY HOME - almost 8 year old Golden Retriever. Easy going, too laid back, shows potential in scent tracking, non existant recall. :laugh:

Currently exhausted, and wouldn't even notice a change of owner. Pick up Perth. Just PM me.

Bet we could liven him up with a BBQ!! :laugh: As long as he's not offered Cherrio's, think he was quiet dissapointed with those.

heee ok, let me clarify.. for my kids it was fantastic.. not so sure you guys would *quite* see it through their eyes.. although would love to see any of you attempt the 101 tyres like my kids did LOL heee heee

yes foxtriever.. hmmm could be the latest DD LOL ;-)

I'd be in that! When we were in NZ we went to a wildlife park that also had a flying fox in the kids playground area, I so wanted to have a go. Later I split up with the others so that I could go back and get a couple of shots of the Tiger and they started placing bets on wether I was really going back to have a go on the flying fox. I did contenplate it as there wasn't anyone on it at the time, but envisioned getting myself stuck up there as my back doesn't always allow me to do the things I want to do. Might have been too embarressing having to call for assistance.

Not that any one in my family could laugh at me for trying, my Dad who's 81 this year still likes to hop on the escalator handrail to ride down when he can get away with it and I'm sure he was tempted by the flying fox too. :laugh: So is it any wonder these things temp me, it's in my genes.

Guest belgian.blue

WANTED!!

I'm seeking to borrow a dog cage/airline type or similar for about a month. Around 50/60cm in length and 30/40cm wide. I can buy one for around $50 from the Quokka but then I would have to re-sell it.

So thought I'd try my luck if anyone has one I could borrow? Pretty please!! It will be returned in ace condition :laugh:

Willing to travel to collect if need be. Thanks!

WANTED!!

I'm seeking to borrow a dog cage/airline type or similar for about a month. Around 50/60cm in length and 30/40cm wide. I can buy one for around $50 from the Quokka but then I would have to re-sell it.

So thought I'd try my luck if anyone has one I could borrow? Pretty please!! It will be returned in ace condition :)

That size cant be for Ivy??? Are you going on a trip?

Guest belgian.blue
WANTED!!

So thought I'd try my luck if anyone has one I could borrow? Pretty please!! It will be returned in ace condition :)

That size cant be for Ivy??? Are you going on a trip?

Nah not for Ivy .. she's a good girl in the car

Edited by belgian.blue

Hey RubyStar I see a guy walking three English Setters at one of our walking spots. Very calm submissive dogs, I think maybe too soft in temperament for me but most people would love that. I think you should get a black Lab so you have one of each :kissbetter: .

The darker Goldens are my preference, but so too are the dogs with a finer coat consistency. The heavy coated show Goldens, especially the creams, are not for me. When you work a Golden through mud, heavy cover and long swims, the finer coat is a godsend. I know who you are talking about with the dark gold boy at agility, they are close friends; the dog is a brother to my bitch who is also dark gold. That line is very athletic, which is evident by the success in the different arenas that we compete. Depending on just what you want your Golden for, make sure you are aware of the background of the puppies. Parents having a show title only, will probably not give you a dog suitable for the field, agility, or DWD, but be a great pet. My two kids are field bred, with just a hint of show lines put in there, but, the pedigree behind them shows the success in the field that I was after, and combined together, their puppies should be top candidates for all types of activities, especially the field.

Goldie puppies would have to be about the sweetest, tempting puppies you could ever wish to see, but prospective owners need to be firm with themselves and know exactly what type of pup is wanted and, the purpose of the puppy. I'm sure many people have been caught out with the cuteness of a puppy and bought on impulse, only to find that the pup doesn't fulfill the original requirements at all. Some element of luck is required, but seeing you have a dog for up to around 15 years, you may as well get as near to right as you can in selecting the puppy in the first place. Just my opinion.

Yes! You know exactly what I am after!

The darker coat dogs I have seen have mostly had that finer coat. The benefit of it being so much easier to look after is secondary to my colour preference but it is a bonus! :kissbetter:

This was my boy Duncan whose coat was very fine:

D1.jpg

And this is Duncan and Dougal -you can see the difference in coat.

PIC014.jpg

Are you a breeder fetchindawgs?

I fell in love with Rebus, he was exactly what I want, colour, sex, and temperament. His breeder/owner explained to me how her dogs were bred for the field and the benefits etc. I wish she was still breeding!!

Unfortunately I realise that as puppies it's hard to know what kind of coat they will end up with and that's a risk I have to take but the finer coat would be perfect for scent tracking. I went to a workshop yesterday and they mentioned there about the heavy coated dogs picking up more crap in their coats as they go through the forest.

Anyway, everyone, keep your fingers crossed for me. It looks like I might have to wait quite a while to get what I am after!

heee ok, let me clarify.. for my kids it was fantastic.. not so sure you guys would *quite* see it through their eyes.. although would love to see any of you attempt the 101 tyres like my kids did LOL heee heee

yes foxtriever.. hmmm could be the latest DD LOL ;-)

I'd be in that! When we were in NZ we went to a wildlife park that also had a flying fox in the kids playground area, I so wanted to have a go. Later I split up with the others so that I could go back and get a couple of shots of the Tiger and they started placing bets on wether I was really going back to have a go on the flying fox. I did contenplate it as there wasn't anyone on it at the time, but envisioned getting myself stuck up there as my back doesn't always allow me to do the things I want to do. Might have been too embarressing having to call for assistance.

Not that any one in my family could laugh at me for trying, my Dad who's 81 this year still likes to hop on the escalator handrail to ride down when he can get away with it and I'm sure he was tempted by the flying fox too. ;) So is it any wonder these things temp me, it's in my genes.

My mum, dad, sister, her hubby and their kids went on a cruise late last year that went to NZ and at a stop somewhere they found this flying fox in a playground and they ALL had a go on it, photos and all! I wonder if it's the same place? :kissbetter: I love flying foxes, would love to find one of those massive ones you can take off a cliff or something!! :)

Hey RubyStar I see a guy walking three English Setters at one of our walking spots. Very calm submissive dogs, I think maybe too soft in temperament for me but most people would love that. I think you should get a black Lab so you have one of each :laugh: .

Maybe an English Setter will be a dog for me when I retire ;) I know they have the tendency to be mischievous pups just like any other breed, but they look nice and calm when they grow up and oh so gorgeous :kissbetter:

At times I contemplate getting a black Lab in the future to round out my set, but thinking I might try something new. Labs will always be my #1, though :)

Nice looking dog there "Goldenrules". You may have to wait until the right puppy comes along for you.

I am a breeder, and was going to mate my bitch, but she has just come in, and it is too late for a mating as I want to campaign her all 2010 season, as well as take her over east, so, I am postponing the mating till she comes in next time.

If you are still without a dark puppy at that time, I'll let you know the outcome and you can look at the pups. Both sire and dam are dark gold, with super temperaments, and plenty of drive for the field. If you know Rebus then you know the type of Golden I have with my bitch. She is a bit more goey than Rebus. The male, Banner, is yet to compete in the field (3 weeks), but is very dark in colour, lovely sweet boy, and full of go. If you go to a retrieving trial you will see one of them as they are at different levels so one or the other will be there with me, competing.

Hey RubyStar I see a guy walking three English Setters at one of our walking spots. Very calm submissive dogs, I think maybe too soft in temperament for me but most people would love that. I think you should get a black Lab so you have one of each :laugh: .

Maybe an English Setter will be a dog for me when I retire :laugh: I know they have the tendency to be mischievous pups just like any other breed, but they look nice and calm when they grow up and oh so gorgeous :)

At times I contemplate getting a black Lab in the future to round out my set, but thinking I might try something new. Labs will always be my #1, though :)

A lady at our club has just gotten an aussie shepherd pup, when I saw it i thought of you lol.

I like the darker Goldens too, Duncan was beautiful, I never met him unfortunately. GR, hopefully your wait won't be too long, but I daresay it will be worth it :)

RS I was looking at a photo on FB of your two with Mason and I was thinking it looked like a nice complete set :)

Well I ended up going to Challenger beach, it was okay, we usually go to Kwinana beach near Wells Park, there were fewer people than Kwinana but it was very choppy and windy.

vCBR, not good about either your appendix or the proposed development! Although HV would be a nice place to retire... if you had the option of public transport :)

Have just had a very busy with the ponies this weekend and all I can say is Diva and Nova are stars! (Raven isn't as she couldn't go due to injury :laugh: ) And yes, the 5 horses I named before this year's foal all have a "v" as the third letter of their name - it wasn't deliberate! :)

Hey RubyStar I see a guy walking three English Setters at one of our walking spots. Very calm submissive dogs, I think maybe too soft in temperament for me but most people would love that. I think you should get a black Lab so you have one of each ;) .

Tiggy - I want DETAILS?! I don't think i have ever seen anyone with an English setter walking anywhere?!

Hope you guys all had a great weekend :thumbsup: I was a bit annoyed i had to work on the day of the tracking workshop... i Sooooooo wanted to attend!! I'm going to email the organisers and see what I can do since I have no idea about tracking yet i would still like to get started...

I also prefer the dark goldens... with less coat :) And, even though my poor ES are a result of the show ring breeding, I really dislike the coated gundogs that carry too much coat that it would not be functional for them. Breeds such as the LH weimaraner to me carry the perfect amount of coat for a functional long haired working gundog.

When is the next DOL meet? I hope i will be around to make it! i have a few shows coming up and on the 1st of may is the Weimaraner National in Adelaide. I am so excited, there are around 300 entries across the disciplines which is just awesome if you ask me!

BTW, back to the part about pretending to have guide dogs to get into a pub... well i could bring James but i have a feeling his vacant expression would give it away that he isn't a guide dog!!

Nice looking dog there "Goldenrules". You may have to wait until the right puppy comes along for you.

I am a breeder, and was going to mate my bitch, but she has just come in, and it is too late for a mating as I want to campaign her all 2010 season, as well as take her over east, so, I am postponing the mating till she comes in next time.

If you are still without a dark puppy at that time, I'll let you know the outcome and you can look at the pups. Both sire and dam are dark gold, with super temperaments, and plenty of drive for the field. If you know Rebus then you know the type of Golden I have with my bitch. She is a bit more goey than Rebus. The male, Banner, is yet to compete in the field (3 weeks), but is very dark in colour, lovely sweet boy, and full of go. If you go to a retrieving trial you will see one of them as they are at different levels so one or the other will be there with me, competing.

Yes, I think I will indeed have to come to a retrieving trial and meet you and your dogs!

I like the darker Goldens too, Duncan was beautiful, I never met him unfortunately. GR, hopefully your wait won't be too long, but I daresay it will be worth it :cry:

RS I was looking at a photo on FB of your two with Mason and I was thinking it looked like a nice complete set :)

Well I ended up going to Challenger beach, it was okay, we usually go to Kwinana beach near Wells Park, there were fewer people than Kwinana but it was very choppy and windy.

Duncan was adored by everyone - humans and other dogs. His passing was tragic :)

I think RS should get a black lab as well :thumbsup: Your avatar would be more accurate :party:

I would have been up for Piney Lakes yesterday except I did a My Kitchen Rules Marathon - some 12 episodes! :eek: ;)

There is a Golden Retriever Fun Day on Sunday 11th April - from 10am to 2pm at the K9 grounds I think. I have the flyer in pdf form but don't know how to post it here ;)

Is anyone interested? $5 grooming, BBQ, dancing dogs etc :D