Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Hi spkye88, welcome! I believe there is a dog club in Eden Hill you could try if you haven't already, or there are plenty of others around Perth as well. These will give you a good foundation on how to train a dog out of it's comfort zone, the backyard :thumbsup: Good luck!!

Welcome to you too, jules1! You've got puppy breath, so jealous! :thumbsup:

I would slowly introduce raw meaty bones into your pup's diet if you want to feed raw, not just raw mince, but I am sure the health subforum will have some great more in depth advice for you!

Thanks for the welcome - (sorry was trying to add a photo to my signature -took me a while!) And Hi to spyke too - your dog is just beautiful!

As far as the raw mince thing goes - we are just following on what the breeder was feeding him. I was a bit dubious about it at first to be honest, and thought we would probably try and change it gradually but seeing how healthy and shiny he is (and he loves it) has made us decide to keep going with it. The vet I took him to for a quick check-up when we got him also recommended carrying on with it...anyway, we will see how we go.

Jules :thumbsup:

sorry - spent ages trying to re-size it (it was nearly 6mb to start with) and then had to join photobucket to upload it....it's not the best picture to have small - like you said, it's hard to work out which is the dog and which is his toy!!

I have today off, so will take some more photos and hopefully will have a couple of better ones to shrink down.

Jules :thumbsup:

Edit - thanks for the offer amypie - will get some nice photos today and take you up on your offer!!

Edited by jules1

Spider is gorgeous!!

welcome jules1 and congrats on your new dobie puppy. can't wait for picks I am sure he is uber cute :thumbsup:

I agree that you should consider adding meaty bones to your puppy's diet... not asa replacement for the raw meat but as a partial replacement... raw bones are great for teeth both baby teeth and adult teeth particularly as your pup is on a "wet" food diet, which reduces the opportunity of natural teeth cleaning. As long as they are very meaty bones they can be used as a meal replacement. If you are interested in learning more about feeding a raw diet there are a lot of raw feeding threads on here as well as a lot of book recommendations...to get your pup started though, smashed chicken necks are great (always under supervision). If your pup tries to swallow them whole, move up a size to a turkey neck.

Awwwww, look at him, adorable! Those paws are huge! ;)

If you need help cropping your sig photo let me know, happy to help.

You're right about his paws though - I'm wondering how long it will take for him to grow into them! Luckily he has a beautiful temperament, very gentle and happy so hopefully he will end up being our gorgeous "BIG" baby :thumbsup:

Hi All,

Another newbie here - just wanted to say Hello to fellow WA doglovers. We have a new Dobie pup (14 weeks old - we've only had him for 2 weeks) so have been reading the puppy threads too! We lost our last beautiful dobie girl in January at 12 years old, so has been a bit of a shock to the system to have an energetic, chewy but very loving puppy running around! :thumbsup: Started puppy school last week so hopefully we're on the right track for training.

He's on a raw meat diet so need to do a search on here for good places to buy the meat from in the northern suburbs. Already getting the chicken mince from Lenards, but have only been able to find red meat mince for pets at the supermarket - does anyone know if Drovers do it? Our last dog wasn't on raw meat so am a bit new to it all - the new pup is ridiculously healthy though, so it seems to work. ;)

Cheers

Jules ;)

I know there is a place in Wangara that does roo meat for pet consumption and also a place in Midland, not sure of either of their names though you would have to just google it. I would also like to feed more raw mince ( my boy cant digest bones ) so if you find out about either I would love to hear how good their prices are etc.

Awww, I hope you bring him to a DOL meet one day (very soon ;) ) ;)

Then when the public see a Dobe puppy in comparison to Trixie they might believe me when I tell them she's not one :thumbsup:

Are you going to take him to obedience or anything like that?

The Dobe club have obedience training at the Dogswest grounds on Tuesdays, it's only for Dobes. Or there are a few other clubs around.

just wondering how many WA'ers on here frequent the whiteman park dog area?? im down there a few times a week so it would be great to chat with some dog obsessed people while im there :thumbsup:

I used to go down there quite often as I am just up the road in Ellenbrook, I stopped going after I saw 3 dog fights happen in the off lead enclosure, I dont really like my dog to play with dogs I dont know anymore after he was attacked.

fair enough. ive been going for the past month and have only seen one fight happen. a couple of huskies decided to team up on a poor little dog but the owner took them straight home as per the rules. its great for spider as he can have a run around and play with other dogs without me stressing he'll run off.