Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Amypie - thanks for the stuff on the thumbdrive... but i think i will just give up now. You look just as calm and serene as they do!! Can you run my dog? hee hee i feel like a frazzled nutter! must be nice when the dogs can read you so well that you just casually move arms and shoulders and calmly walk around.. hee hee

Don't you dare give up!

Seriously I am the most unco person in the world, truly unco! If I can manage you can too! Just takes a bit of practice! I'll pass on what knowledge I have and help you and Rosie :o Need to get you two up to scratch so we can do strategic pairs! :thumbsup:

Thats the thing that worries me about agility, i think I will forget the course and then number 2 people will be laughing at the way I run around etc :rofl: Mason has way more co-ords than I could ever have!

RosieFt I know what you mean about filling the horse time, I find if I didnt have Mason I would be soooo bored !

Labs are only drooly when sitting with dinner bowl in front of them :rofl:

But they do have a bit of slobber in their mouths that will find its way onto a lovely isqueak!

Mason slobbers a lot on toys etc and when he sees any food, human or dog :thumbsup:

I also fill in what used to be horse time with doing doggy stuff.

Much easier to throw a gear bag in the car, add dog and drive. Bit easier than float, horse, rugs, saddles, bridles and goodness what other parafinalia just to go off to a show or competition.

Oh and my dogs cost less to feed and I make their own coats, collars and things. I also cannot imagine what attempted Clydeadale cuddles on the lounge would be like.

Guest RosieFT

Well I have run out of time and drive to ride properly now. So poor Rosie gets the short straw LOL. I was talking to RS the other night about how tricky i found it to get Rosie to 'walk on a loose rein" freudien slip of the tongue! LOL

my OH is really getting into cycling, and when i bought him a few cycling things for a present, I was about to baulk at the price, but then realised it was nothing compared to horse related costs like shoeing, lessons, agistment.. hee hee

Yep lots of my dog things I say have a distinct equine flavour!

My son even had front legs one day, until I remembered they were actually arms! Felt like a bit of a twit!

A lot of my jumping training with my dogs involves cavaletti, grid like combinations and I spend lots of time teaching my dog to jump with a really good shape and how to find the right take off point for the jump, also to get them to see their sride well and be able to shorten and lengthen easily and evenly.

My old dog never pulled a rail (see another horse term!) in competition, so maybe I might have been onto something! Unfortunately due to distance, her age and back we never got to really work on our speed in competition, or have enough trials.

R&L that's interesting reading your post, Susan Salo who has a lot of Dvds on dog jumping is a horse person too and applies horse jumping methods to dogs with stride regulators and take off points etc.

Hmmm interesting.

I did get told by a couple of people that I shouldn't be doing it and the flatter they jumped the better as it was faster.

I figured that a fast dog was no good if it had rails on the ground.

My idea was if they are taught the correct way to jump first, they will naturally flatten their jump as the get more confident and attain more speed. It is after all the law of physics isn't it!

Maybe I might just keep doing what I am doing then :thumbsup: Even though competitions are a bit hard to get to at this point in my life.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

RnL - I'd say - yes, keep doing what you're doing. Amypie, I'm using the Susan Salo methods to teach my BC jumping - a whole lot of good reasons for doing it. And I think back to a Suzanne Clothier seminar I went to years ago - she had the same sort of methods for getting the dog to teach itself to jump correctly - and she's also a horse person.

Yes, flatter may be marginally faster, but not good for the dog in the long run, apart from the short term cost of bars down. And IMHO a dog jumping correctly and intelligently has more brain power spare to respond effectively to handler cues e.g. for wraps etc.

Valley I would probably say yes because the dog learns the correct take off point and wouldn't need to jump harder unexpectedly and would probably land better? That's my theory : laugh:

To be honest I've never put much thought or theory into jumping because kyzer is small and jumps his height easily and very very rarely touches bars. It's something I need to put into practice more with trixie though I'd say, really want the Susan Salo puppy jumping DVD.

Do you think it would help prevent injuries?

Suzanne Clothier and Susan Salo would both definitely say yes. There's also a book called something like Jumping from A to Z by Chris Zink (a sports vet) and Julie Daniels (agility competitor) which goes into jumping style in some detail - and which emphasizes the importance of the dog learning to jump correctly.

Clean Run link to the book

Do you think it would help prevent injuries?

Suzanne Clothier and Susan Salo would both definitely say yes. There's also a book called something like Jumping from A to Z by Chris Zink (a sports vet) and Julie Daniels (agility competitor) which goes into jumping style in some detail - and which emphasizes the importance of the dog learning to jump correctly.

Clean Run link to the book

Sigh I wish I would win lotto so I can buy my Clean Run wishlist! :)