Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I survived yesterday baking all the hot cross buns. I do it all again tomorrow :D .

Last time tomorrow for a long time though hey?! ;)

Yes thank god.

I got some hot cross buns yesterday and one for brekky this morning :)

A lot depends on the breed....flatter is definately not better for a Border Collie!!! A whippet on the other hand tends to jump so high that they can lose time in the air. I would be surprised if you were able to substantially change a dog's natural style although the faster they go the flatter they tend to jump.

RnL - I'd say - yes, keep doing what you're doing. Amypie, I'm using the Susan Salo methods to teach my BC jumping - a whole lot of good reasons for doing it. And I think back to a Suzanne Clothier seminar I went to years ago - she had the same sort of methods for getting the dog to teach itself to jump correctly - and she's also a horse person.

Yes, flatter may be marginally faster, but not good for the dog in the long run, apart from the short term cost of bars down. And IMHO a dog jumping correctly and intelligently has more brain power spare to respond effectively to handler cues e.g. for wraps etc.

A lot depends on the breed....flatter is definately not better for a Border Collie!!! A whippet on the other hand tends to jump so high that they can lose time in the air. I would be surprised if you were able to substantially change a dog's natural style although the faster they go the flatter they tend to jump.
RnL - I'd say - yes, keep doing what you're doing. Amypie, I'm using the Susan Salo methods to teach my BC jumping - a whole lot of good reasons for doing it. And I think back to a Suzanne Clothier seminar I went to years ago - she had the same sort of methods for getting the dog to teach itself to jump correctly - and she's also a horse person.

Yes, flatter may be marginally faster, but not good for the dog in the long run, apart from the short term cost of bars down. And IMHO a dog jumping correctly and intelligently has more brain power spare to respond effectively to handler cues e.g. for wraps etc.

No you cannot substantially change the way a dog jumps, but you can help them to maximize their jump potential to be able to jump more cleanly. You can also teach them gymnastic jumping exercises so that they are very confident and at ease with getting the correct take off point, especially if they land on the wrong angle or too close to another jump.

Rommi tends to jump fairly flat for a Whippet, Lewis I haven't done much with, but I imagine from what I have seen so far he will be a dog that naturally jumps higher.

Yay, survived my first trial of doing 9 runs :rofl:

Varda didn't want to play the game at all today :( Abbey wanted to play the game way too much, although did manage 6th out of 14 clears in Masters Jumping :bolt: Just don't ask about her other two runs :doh: Jenna got her first GD leg... and only did one stuff up each other her other two rounds :( Banjo wasn't too bad :) He didn't go and visit the judge, nor did he run up and bowl over the photographer :D But he did get distracted at times (especially as the person in the ring next door kept yelling at her dog very loudly :cry: ) so he ran past a couple of jumps. But all is looking good for States and Nationals :eek:

Yay, survived my first trial of doing 9 runs :laugh:

Varda didn't want to play the game at all today :laugh: Abbey wanted to play the game way too much, although did manage 6th out of 14 clears in Masters Jumping :( Just don't ask about her other two runs :D Jenna got her first GD leg... and only did one stuff up each other her other two rounds :laugh: Banjo wasn't too bad :laugh: He didn't go and visit the judge, nor did he run up and bowl over the photographer :laugh: But he did get distracted at times (especially as the person in the ring next door kept yelling at her dog very loudly :( ) so he ran past a couple of jumps. But all is looking good for States and Nationals :)

You must be very fit!! :laugh:

What breed was the other pup? A more common one? The problem with Open shows is that trainee judges áre unlikely to go for something that don't know that well.

The other dog was an American Cocker. I will be surprised to pick up any classes in group under local judges with Lincoln because he is a 'pioneer'.

We have alot of good american cockers here, they win all over the country. But yes I do think you will find it hard with a newer breed to the state. I thought of possibly getting a Foxhound at one stage, but the thought of being a one and only worried me.

Grr... Hemi pooed in his crate early this morning, so was up at 6 to clean it up.. Considering I had to be up by 6.30 to go to the show today, I stayed up.. Anyways better finish getting ready. Will speak to you all later!

Yay, survived my first trial of doing 9 runs :angel:

Varda didn't want to play the game at all today :rofl: Abbey wanted to play the game way too much, although did manage 6th out of 14 clears in Masters Jumping :cry: Just don't ask about her other two runs :angel: Jenna got her first GD leg... and only did one stuff up each other her other two rounds :rofl: Banjo wasn't too bad :rofl: He didn't go and visit the judge, nor did he run up and bowl over the photographer :( But he did get distracted at times (especially as the person in the ring next door kept yelling at her dog very loudly :angel: ) so he ran past a couple of jumps. But all is looking good for States and Nationals :(

You must be very fit!! :rofl:

Yep, Mirrawee did lots of running including running two rings without a break inbetween, don't know how she does it and remembers all those different courses. Mirrawee did you check out the pictures of you dogs on Tim's site, some especially nice ones of Varda.

Did anyone visit Bunnings today? Free hot cross buns :cry:

Greedy me went back for a second :( Chocolate ones, yummy!! And they were Baker's Delight ones, sorry Tiggy!

We went there yesterday and my 19 year old friend couldn't believe they were making you butter the buns yourself! :angel: This coming from a kid who has sat on the computer since he arrived and has as good as been waited on hand and foot all weekend :(

Anyway, we didn't bother with the HCB (even though they were Baker's Delight :angel: ) instead we opted for the BBQ sausage in a roll that they always have at Bunnings on a weekend. I had one, my young friend managed THREE! He is eating me out of house and home :angel: