Food Recommendations Please :)

Grey

hi there guys - i'm back to tap into the vast wealth of knowledge that is dol..

i have a 17mo gsd, who looks great, her coat is great, her weight is perfect, no skin probs perfect bill of health from vet etc. Two things i do notice is that a) she is never excited over meal times, unless there is a can of wet food involved, (teeth and mouth are fine i had them checked) and b) that 2 out of 3 poops are not all that firm - not liquid (unless there has been raw lamb involved the day before) but certainly not firm. The first thing i want to try is a different brand of dry food and if that does not improve then onto a more restrictive diet to ensure it isnt a food allergy.

I am not in a position to effectively and healthily feed a barf diet or anything similar, and ideally i would like her to be on a mainly dry food diet with raw meaty bones thrown in once or twice a week for 'while mum is at work treats'. Currently she is fed supercoat, but we have in the past tried hills large breed puppy and optimum.

The only way i can get her to eat each night a regular amount is if i mix a small can of tuna through the supercoat.

I am leaning towards trying evo or proplan - is there either of these, or anything else you guys would suggest i try for her?

At first i assumed it was her being lazy and not wanting to chew dry food so i have soaked it in warm water, gravy or even mixed wet food through - she licks the additions off and leaves the dry lol

thanks in advance for the advice :D

I would try Eagle Pack, it's an excellent dry food and my dogs love it. Their coats are shiny, they have heaps of energy and their poo's are nice and firm. I also feed raw meaty bones three times a week - a lamb shank, chicken carcass or wings/necks to mix it up with the odd tin of sardines and yoghurt from time to time.

It's just a matter of trying out different brands and seeing which gives you the best result.

Good Luck! :D

royal canin is awesome, my friend has two gsd's and they look amazing on it. apparently its made with human-quality ingredients, so fussy dogs love it. theres a money back guarantee with the vet range, we used to have it in the clinic where i used to work, it was really popular

We fed the US Nutro to our dogs for eight years prior to it being pulled from the market here.

During the transitional period before it became available as an Australian made product we fed Artemis; Orijen and Dick van Patten's Natural Balance, none of which agreed with our dogs.

We now feed a home-made diet on a 2/3rds basis with Nutro and Ziwipeak.

Edited by Hesapandabear

What's your budget like? Can you afford a super premium like Artemis or Royal Canin?

If not, my friends dogs do very well on Advance.

The downside to canned food is most of it is water. It's an expensive way to hydrate your dog.

How much are you feeding her? If she's leaving a lot of food, the quantity may simply be too much, especially if her weight is pretty good now.

How often do you feed her? Once or twice a day?

Evo has better ingredients than Pro Plan, and is the one I would choose. I used it for a couple of years, with very good results.

Probably more expensive, but worth it, with fewer fillers.

Don't think very highly of Supercoat.

What's your budget like? Can you afford a super premium like Artemis or Royal Canin?

If not, my friends dogs do very well on Advance.

The downside to canned food is most of it is water. It's an expensive way to hydrate your dog.

How much are you feeding her? If she's leaving a lot of food, the quantity may simply be too much, especially if her weight is pretty good now.

How often do you feed her? Once or twice a day?

budget is fine - especially as i am pretty sure i can find the food at cost price + 10% :thumbsup: which always helps!

i have accepted the fact she doesnt need to eat much, its not like she is a working dog, and she would in no way eat the recommended amount, she is a tad skinny, but only cause i am used to seeing fatty boombah shepherds hehe, perfect weight according to last vet check.

I feed her twice a day, but generally the morning meal gets picked up (unless we have been a walk in am rather than pm) and picked at at dinner.

so.. thanks to everyone for your answers, i decided to try the royal canin german shep one, (how could i resist when it has a picture of a shepherd on the front? :laugh: , yes i am also banned from watching telemarketing heheh)

she ate last nights portion of it, and has not touched breakfast or dinner as yet, but she wont starve herself, i heard her sneaking some last night just before i went to bed and took it away, so hopes are high :eat:

I felt guilty and bought the cats some royal canin as well - i have never seen them eat something that wasn't hills oral care so ravenously :rofl:

*edit for general not-making-sense-sentences*

Edited by Grey

I feed RC too. I used to feed Advance and found that their coats were getting a little dull at times and I could get the RC for not much more of a cost.

I have also tried Nutrience which they loved too. My staffy x does a little dance when dinner comes out and Miss Whiny Shepherd sings lol.

i have a 17mo gsd, who looks great, her coat is great, her weight is perfect, no skin probs perfect bill of health from vet etc.

Hhmm sounds to me like her current diet suits her just fine. Not every dog is a guts over food or has consistently hard poops. With the miriad of problems GSDs have I would count myself lucky at having such a healthy dog.

Hhmm sounds to me like her current diet suits her just fine. Not every dog is a guts over food or has consistently hard poops. With the miriad of problems GSDs have I would count myself lucky at having such a healthy dog.

true k9katz - that did cross my mind, but it's just getting a tad embarrassing on walks when you can pick the first offering up, but if there is a second, that's not an option :laugh:

and, this may be anthropomorphizing a tad cause i do realise most of the human issue may be the toilet paper addition.. but i feel sry for her in case she has a ring of fire.. sometimes she just looks so damn uncomfy trying to get it all out!

• 1 month later...

just a quick thanks again - we appear to have hit the jackpot! although she is certainly not eating anywhere near the recommended guide, she is quite happily chowing down about 2 cups of royal canin a day, and approx 90% of toilet trips end in a nice firm manner lol yay!!

thanks again for the suggestions :)

100_0012.jpg

Edited by Grey

just a quick thanks again - we appear to have hit the jackpot! although she is certainly not eating anywhere near the recommended guide, she is quite happily chowing down about 2 cups of royal canin a day, and approx 90% of toilet trips end in a nice firm manner lol yay!!

thanks again for the suggestions ;)

100_0012.jpg

Glad to hear she is enjoying the RC. My cats are on RC and love it. I have labs so I have no idea what its like to have a dog that wont eat. I must say she is a beautiful girl.

thankyou mokha - i agree, but then i am biased :laugh: she is about 8 months older than that pic now, but it is still my fave of her, the first time i could see the adult she is destined to be lol

and I know!! the cats would eat an entire bag of rc in a week if i allowed free feeding, but skylla is totally 'meh' about it all. which is good, cause i get credit for having a beautifully weighted gsd with little or no work involved :angeldevil:

*edit* to say your labs are just gorgeous!! you can't go past a good looking lab :laugh:

Edited by Grey