Youtubing Dolers

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:driving:

Hmmm Youtube is misbehaving so I here is a list of all the clips i have managed to upload

Kenzie

Line ups/pivoting -

Pivoting with toy distraction -

Heeling -

Recall -

Recall presents with distance throwing food -

Ness

Edited by ness

Woohoo lots of new training videos to catch up on! Thanks everyone :driving:

I'm pretty slack at videoing the training. I end up getting just grass at the park, too!

Here are some videos I filmed in January (hope I haven't already posted them?):

Ruby heelwork/figure 8's:

Millie heelwork/figure 8's:

Ruby & Millie dumbell (Millie has only just learnt to hold the thing, she's still a work in progress!):

Wow I go training, come home and there are a zillion new videos to watch. :laugh:

I will make sure I buy some BBQ chips and a bottle of wine on the way home from work tonight and I should settle in for the night - looking forward to it - and keep them coming (the videos not the chips and wine) :eek: :D

Oh that was youtube last night - I uploaded some and they never appeared :eat: . I do have one of the old girl doing some heelwork in the yard with the midget trying her best to get in on the act :eek: . Argh I have created a heeling monster.

Terranik was nice enough to film Zero and I the other night with our heel work. Let me have it! I need you guys to pick it apart!

So far I've realised, Zero curves around me rather than being straight, his stand is crooked though when I was out there I didn't notice it. It's also not instant. Definitely something to work on this week!

Mostly I think it's me that's having problems - I'm not walking with purpose, and so he's surging and lagging at different points and my signals are all over the shop.

Oh and my instructors shirt is hideous... though i look a lot thinner in the video than in person so that makes up for it :eek:

I had a quick watch last night Shell and thought Zorro was heeling really nicely. The two things that stood out for me which could probably be sorted pretty easily would be the exaggerated drop signal and the length of the lead you are using. Having all that extra lead just looks messy.

Oh and just one other point if your going to reward him and you are having issues with him forging then reward him closer to your leg rather than out in front which is where you rewarded him on the first occasion.

Edited by ness

Terranik was nice enough to film Zero and I the other night with our heel work. Let me have it! I need you guys to pick it apart!

So far I've realised, Zero curves around me rather than being straight, his stand is crooked though when I was out there I didn't notice it. It's also not instant. Definitely something to work on this week!

Mostly I think it's me that's having problems - I'm not walking with purpose, and so he's surging and lagging at different points and my signals are all over the shop.

Oh and my instructors shirt is hideous... though i look a lot thinner in the video than in person so that makes up for it :eek:

It sounds like you have a handle on what needs work anyway Shell - but happy to see if we can pick anything else out when I get home......

It will be interesting to see what everybody else thinks :eat:

Also need to stand up straighter and not crouch down as much.

This is really common with small dogs.

I also noticed from my videos that when I reward Cider sometimes the food is too high and she has to lift her front feet off to the ground to get it - hence I am creating more bad habits :eek:

Yep, I remember one Tentie owner told me they taught their dog to heel by rewarding them with peanut butter on the end of a wooden spoon so they didn't have to crouch down :eek: My dogs would take the spoon and kill it though :eat:

I had a quick watch last night Shell and thought Zorro was heeling really nicely. The two things that stood out for me which could probably be sorted pretty easily would be the exaggerated drop signal and the length of the lead you are using. Having all that extra lead just looks messy.

Oh and just one other point if your going to reward him and you are having issues with him forging then reward him closer to your leg rather than out in front which is where you rewarded him on the first occasion.

Cheers! Zero tends to forge when I first get him out of the crate. I'll make sure i do some other work with him before I do heel work next time so I'm not going to damage his heeling by rewarding him out of position. I never think about where I reward him - I just use his marker word when he's in position and then reward him wherever he is at the time. I'll think about it next time!

I really need a shorter leather leash! I use the long one at training so I can carry everything and Zero can get clear of it so I don't constantly run into him. I'll remember to bring the short one next time!

He's also got an ear infection at the moment (he becomes deaf when he has ear infections because his ear canal closes - too many untreated ear infections before I got him have really damaged his hearing) but seeing that, I can see how much I'm overcompensating for not being able to use my voice as much!

Thanks Sally!

ETA: figured that one out.

Learning a lot from this :laugh:

What is that turn called where you turn to your left and Zero walked around you? (Blind Cross in the agility world? )

I've been trying to teach Trixie not to do this, what do I do if I need her to do it down the track? Uh oh! :laugh:

Edited by amypie

I've been trying to teach Trixie not to do this, what do I do if I need her to do it down the track? Uh oh! :laugh:

You can train the other type of left about turn, which you can see Ptolomy do with her dogs in her vids - where you sort of move on the spot and the dog moves it's backend as you do the LAT.

Daisy has pretty crappy back end awareness (we're working on it) so I do the around the back LAT like Shell does - you can use either in comp obedience.

Shell I watched Zero's vid last night and he is looking great! I love way he looks at you and his prancing is awesome!