Capstar For Fleas

kayla1

No more than once every 24 hours.

A topical flea preparation will be more useful and have the same effect (along with treating the environment). Capstar is better used as a 'knockdown' treatment on really bad days.

Otherwise ask your vet about a new product called Comfortis which is a monthly tablet treatment for fleas, that kills adults rather than having a sterilising action like the lufenuron in Sentinel. It's only been released in the last 6-8 weeks but should be easily ordered in.

No more than once every 24 hours.

A topical flea preparation will be more useful and have the same effect (along with treating the environment). Capstar is better used as a 'knockdown' treatment on really bad days.

Otherwise ask your vet about a new product called Comfortis which is a monthly tablet treatment for fleas, that kills adults rather than having a sterilising action like the lufenuron in Sentinel. It's only been released in the last 6-8 weeks but should be easily ordered in.

Rappie, can (or should) the Comfortis be used in conjunction with something like Advantage or just used by itself? Will the Comfortis kill adults that jump onto the dog and bite or only ones that are on the dog at the time of the administration of the tablet?

Rappie, can (or should) the Comfortis be used in conjunction with something like Advantage or just used by itself? Will the Comfortis kill adults that jump onto the dog and bite or only ones that are on the dog at the time of the administration of the tablet?

It lasts for one month after administration. It does rely on fleas attempting to feed but has a rapid kill time which means that fleas jumping onto a dog do not have time to lay eggs.

I imagine it can be used with a topical but it shouldn't need to be. It does have a registration claim for treatment of flea allergy dermatitis due to the rapid kill time of fleas. It's just another option - depends on what suits, environmental factors, access to water (swimming / bathing etc) will all affect product choice.

Okay so Atlas has access to water in a clam pool during the day but we empty it before and after Frontlining him - which we haven't done in awhile because in my opinion Frontline is RUBBISH these days. I've been recommended Advantage. We have fleas in the ground here (applying permoxin as soon as I can get my hands on some) but we are quite vigilant with flea-combing him. He loves being flea-combed so we make it a nightly ritual and usually only find 1 or 2 on him. It will be much harder with the new puppy though because she is dark and double coated. So if we used the Comfortis could we skip the Advantage or would it be better to use them together?

Sorry that was a bit longwinded...

Fran, I use Comfortis by itself. I like the fact that I can wash the dogs as often as I want, and they can go swimming in the pool etc.

That is an excellent point. I will ask the vet about it week after next when I bring her home. I guess you can't give it to puppies?

Fran, I use Comfortis by itself. I like the fact that I can wash the dogs as often as I want, and they can go swimming in the pool etc.

That is an excellent point. I will ask the vet about it week after next when I bring her home. I guess you can't give it to puppies?

It's not recommended for use in puppies aged less than 14 weeks.

Great thanks for that info! :laugh:

Fran,

I ordered the Permoxin from Vet n Pet direct, fast delivery...

I am looking for a anti-flea treatment that kills before the flea bites, is there such a beast? Gilly has a real bad allergy to flea bites, so if there is something that I can use it would be great.

I am looking at Sentinel and Revolution... Comfortis is on the list cause the vet mentioned it,,,

Fran,

I ordered the Permoxin from Vet n Pet direct, fast delivery...

I am looking for a anti-flea treatment that kills before the flea bites, is there such a beast? Gilly has a real bad allergy to flea bites, so if there is something that I can use it would be great.

I am looking at Sentinel and Revolution... Comfortis is on the list cause the vet mentioned it,,,

Advantage stops the fleas biting within 5 minutes and they do not need to bite to be affected and subsequently die.

Edit: I find Advantage useful for 'sensitive' dogs, Frontline or Advantix for tick protection, Revolution for more 'washable' flea prevention with heartworm. The ability to kill fleas is quite similar but they have different characteristic and benefits.

Edited by Rappie

Great thanks for that info! :)

I have two danes, both now on Comfortis. I swear by the stuff.

I used to find fleas on them whenever we'd been to dog training or dog shows, ie:quite often. I tried flea treatments, shampoos, spot-ons, capstar, etc. Nothing seemed to work and I ended up with fleas in the yard.

Since starting on Comfortis, the yard has cleared up by itself, yay :laugh:

One thing in the fine print is that the tablet must be given withh food and the dog may throw-up. If it's held it down for over an hour, all's good. If not, re-dose.

My bitch chucked after about two hours (and they had a fight over who got to eat the vomit :laugh: ). My dog was fine (everything has the possibility of being food and he's not giving it back for any reason) :rofl:

With the first dose, only the bitch got it as my dog was too young. Flea problem calmed down enough (with capstar for him) to wait until she was due for her second dose to give him his first. And he was too little weight wise for the big pills I had bought. I really didn't feel like paying for a six pack for him that I could only use one of.

Edit: I find Advantage useful for 'sensitive' dogs, Frontline or Advantix for tick protection, Revolution for more 'washable' flea prevention with heartworm. The ability to kill fleas is quite similar but they have different characteristic and benefits.

Do you use all of these? I use Advantix on my dogs every 15 days. Do I need any other flea protection, particularly since they play with other dogs in the dog park?