Will Be Away From Puppy For First Time

Bubitty

I often board dogs that belong to owners that are a little neurotic. It's good for the dogs, good for the owners to have a break.

There's always the " hows he/she coping " email or phone call the same day they walk out the door, along with " is he/she missing me" ?

To be honest, to date none of them have given a crap :shrug:

Reminds me of Mrs Pumphrey and Tricky Woo from the James Herriot stories. :o

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I often board dogs that belong to owners that are a little neurotic. It's good for the dogs, good for the owners to have a break.

There's always the " hows he/she coping " email or phone call the same day they walk out the door, along with " is he/she missing me" ?

To be honest, to date none of them have given a crap :shrug:

I belong to the neurotic group as well :o But I controlled myself so well I did not even call the boarding facility...I did not want to be the mum from hell :dancingelephant: But I could not help it when my dog had to fly 8hrs here to Melbourne. I rang the quarantine facility the moment his plane landed and to ensure that he was collected. I was so worried about my son being a forgotten luggage or something.

I also agree that my dog does not give a crap. When he came home from his 10-day holiday, he gave me a face like "ohh back so soon?" He must be one of those rebellious kids with a fussy mum :grouphug:

I spent my very first night away from Shyla a few weeks ago when OH and I spent the night at my bosses house (he had a farewell party for me there) and Bel (Bindii) babysat Shyla!! I have to admit I didn't worry AT ALL cos Bel is Shylas aunty and I totally trust her, if anything I was more worried Shyla would be naughty LOL. BUT on reporting back it seems she was a good girl for the most part, and even slept alone in the lounge in a big show crate without a peep! :eek:

Sometimes they surprise you with how they end up behaving in certain situations

BUT for a long holiday (1 week +) I would fret without her with me, sooo that's why we have just booked a 6 day holiday in the Tarra Valley at a dog holiday park! So she comes with us and its all good :eek:

I dropped mine off at the kennels this afternoon (I'm flying out early tomorrow). When they were put in the play area they both just ran off exploring. Broke my heart a little but I was proud that they were well-adjusted and not anxious or clingy - not good for them at all.

Little buggers could have come to the gate as I left though! I do miss them though - home is so quiet. On a positive note I ate Japanese without four pleading eyes glaring up at me.

Remember you not the only good dog owner around & spoiling them or over humanising creates issues.

The dog we board love to come because for a short time they get to be dogs & they enjoy every minute of it

Excuse me but my dogs do not have issues. And yes they get to be dogs so please keep your nasty comments to yourself.

No offence but I don't see showdog's comments as nasty at all and she certainly didn't imply that your dogs have issues, what she said is that spoiling and humanising dogs CAN CREATE issues.

These are dogs not children and they'll be fine, you worry too much :laugh:

I also don't see how showdog's comments were nasty. Just stating some facts. Bub, I'm sure they will both be fine. They probably won't even notice that you're gone. There will be too much to do and too many other dogs to play with.

I think a fair majority of us know that Bub spoils her dogs rotten, I really think some of the comments in here are uncalled for..

Anyway, I do the same thing Bub, worry myself stupid about the dogs while we are on Holidays.. My mum comes and looks after them at home but I still worry. I even set up Preprepared meals and sometimes my instruction list takes more than one page..

And Im one who calls mum most days to check how they are!

I think a fair majority of us know that Bub spoils her dogs rotten, I really think some of the comments in here are uncalled for..

Anyway, I do the same thing Bub, worry myself stupid about the dogs while we are on Holidays.. My mum comes and looks after them at home but I still worry. I even set up Preprepared meals and sometimes my instruction list takes more than one page.. And Im one who calls mum most days to check how they are!

Yep me too :thumbsup: I will only go away if my daughter can look after the dogs.

Thanks guys!!!!! Feeling a lot calmer! It will be a great social event for her so I do know its good for her but being the crazy nutso mum I can’t help but twitch! More than anything I think I worry about whether she will be able to settle back home with me just like before she left. We have such a nice routine now, breaking routine always worries me! :laugh:

Bubby’s been there and back 1000000 times so I have no qualms about him.

We are brushing up on tricks furiously now as I have spent last few months raving about her abilities to them!!!!! She soooo needs to perform when we get down there!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

We are brushing up on tricks furiously now as I have spent last few months raving about her abilities to them!!!!! She soooo needs to perform when we get down there!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I can't think of a worse time/place to ask her Bub. She'll be excited, you'll be anxious. Leave till when you get back.

Seriously, if you think you're going to be a bit of a mess, don't go. Get your OH to drop the dogs off.

I can't think of a worse time/place to ask her Bub. She'll be excited, you'll be anxious. Leave till when you get back.

Seriously, if you think you're going to be a bit of a mess, don't go. Get your OH to drop the dogs off.

Nah, she should be fine. We’ve done a lot of work in public and I’ve even had little kids yell and wave at us while she works just to make sure she can do it under strange circumstances!

She’s a performer my girl!

ETA: Plus I have to be there to spy on her litter sister and see whether my little girl is as pretty!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Bub

More than anything I think I worry about whether she will be able to settle back home with me just like before she left. We have such a nice routine now, breaking routine always worries me! :thumbsup:

Yep she will. think about the weekly routine you have at home then think about how you break that routine when you go on holiday, then you have to readjust when you get back home but it's not hard for you, right? It'll be just the same for her. Pooches will have a holiday and so will you. You'll be right, bub.

Now for the important question - where are you going?

scratch that - now I know all I can say is you'll have such a great time you wont have 5 seconds to stress about Bit Bit. Seasons Greetings to you, bub. Have a great holiday.

Edited by raz

I even set up Preprepared meals and sometimes my instruction list takes more than one page..

That happened when i went away on my cruise, mum was going away the same weekend i left for the cruise and we were having friends come and house/pet sit for us. I left a list for my mum to print off and it explained everything to our friends. Well my unreliable mum didnt print it off and the dogs food all got muddled up. 10 days later i hear the stories of how fat Ramses was and how Teddy (the goat) was let run wild ( he was only a baby then) and that Sasha got fed the wrong food. To say I was not happy with my mum for not printing the list was an understatememt!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say next time we went away I left the dogs and the cat at work (boarding kennels) and will be doing that from now on :thumbsup:

Anyway, I do the same thing Bub, worry myself stupid about the dogs while we are on Holidays.. My mum comes and looks after them at home but I still worry. I even set up Preprepared meals and sometimes my instruction list takes more than one page.. And Im one who calls mum most days to check how they are!

Yep me too :thumbsup: I will only go away if my daughter can look after the dogs.

Hmmmm I once house sat for a lovely couple with 5 beautiful dogs and 1 cat, I was give 7 pages of typed instructions for 3 days and post-it notes on the floor so I knew where each dog ate!!!!

More than anything I think I worry about whether she will be able to settle back home with me just like before she left. We have such a nice routine now, breaking routine always worries me! :(

Yep she will. think about the weekly routine you have at home then think about how you break that routine when you go on holiday, then you have to readjust when you get back home but it's not hard for you, right? It'll be just the same for her. Pooches will have a holiday and so will you. You'll be right, bub.

Now for the important question - where are you going?

scratch that - now I know all I can say is you'll have such a great time you wont have 5 seconds to stress about Bit Bit. Seasons Greetings to you, bub. Have a great holiday.

Thanks Razzle!!!!!!!! Everytime I eat fish sauce over there, I will think of you :(

I even set up Preprepared meals and sometimes my instruction list takes more than one page..

That happened when i went away on my cruise, mum was going away the same weekend i left for the cruise and we were having friends come and house/pet sit for us. I left a list for my mum to print off and it explained everything to our friends. Well my unreliable mum didnt print it off and the dogs food all got muddled up. 10 days later i hear the stories of how fat Ramses was and how Teddy (the goat) was let run wild ( he was only a baby then) and that Sasha got fed the wrong food. To say I was not happy with my mum for not printing the list was an understatememt!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say next time we went away I left the dogs and the cat at work (boarding kennels) and will be doing that from now on :(

I’m lucky cuz the kids are on the same breeder prescribed diet so no issues with food!

Believe it or not I actually have NO instruction lists!!!! :(

Bit Bit - where did you get that name from....... I just love it..... we have a cat called Scooter that we call Boot Boot.

I had this issue myself... Who could we trust with our lovely babies while we went away.... and the answer NOBODY..... We have never had a holiday together.... our spoilt rottern dogs have had one of us there every single day of their life.....

sad but true....

The old girl is 14 now so we could not start to board her, but the young kelpie / blue heeler we plan to send away for a night or two just so she does not become reliant on us being there all day every day...

Kirsty

NSW

ps. I don't think you being silly at all.... I think you being a responsible pet owner.