Will Be Away From Puppy For First Time

Bubitty

Hi Folks

I will be on holidays soon and Bubby and Bit Bit are going back to their breeders. I am really stressed about Bit Bit being babysat as she has never been away from us before.

I’m worried she will come back a different dog to the one I sent off.

I ADORE my breeders, they have babysat Bubby a million times and have been amazing (not to mention that they raised Bubby for the first year of his life) but I can’t help feeling anxious! I have put in a lot of work on this puppy and she is everything I want her to be so I’m just……………………….very edgy with the idea of sending her away!!!!

I feel so silly but can’t help freaking out at the thought of not being around and training her every day.

I need advice and just reassurance that all will be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent/rant! I figure I’d do it on Dol rather than sounding like a raving loon when I see my breeders!!!!!

Edited by Bub

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are going away for a holiday.

Your dogs are going away for a holiday.

When they come back home you will all be happy to be back together again. Stop fretting and let them enjoy their time away, enjoy their homecoming once again.

I am sure you have faith in what is organised for your holiday, so have faith in the people you are leaving your dogs with. And have faith in your ability to cope with any small changes that might occur :laugh:

Souff

Hehehe thanks guys!

I have no qualms about sending Bubby off! I am a bit of a control freak over Bit Bit!

But the bright side is she will have some of her littermates to play with her and all her other biological relatives to play with as well!!!!

I know its silly! I mean they bred her, bred and raised him and are the ones who taught me how to raise these dogs!!!!! Should not be flipping out!

I feel kinda better unleashing the crazy on here so I can be sane (relatively!) when I see my breeders! :laugh:

Relax... They will be fine... Bubby hasn't returned from them a "different dog"right? So I am sure you won't have to worry about bit-bit...

Personally I think that dogs having holidays away from us does them the world of good, particularly as youngsters. So long as you know they are going to be well taken care of, I wouldn't worry at all.

OMG - they will have a ball !! Don't worry about them, they are obviously in safer hands (think about it: who would you choose after yourself to mind them that would know exactly what to do and how to care for them).

When our first lab pup was aged around 16 weeks, we sent him for a few days to be minded by another friend who owned a labs and had owned dogs all her life. When he left, he was biting and nipping to the point of sending him to a behavourist. When he returned, problem solved !! He'd been 'told' by the other dog and so in that sense he came back a different dog - but a much better behaved dog - and had a ball as well, our friend took videos.

Do you think it would be a bit rich to ask breeder to shoot a bit of video or photos of them ? Can bet your bottom dollar it will be nothing but pure joy and fun for them !

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Relax... They will be fine... Bubby hasn't returned from them a "different dog"right? So I am sure you won't have to worry about bit-bit...

Personally I think that dogs having holidays away from us does them the world of good, particularly as youngsters. So long as you know they are going to be well taken care of, I wouldn't worry at all.

I agree, I think all young pups should have some sort of "holiday" wether it be kennels or with relo's or back to the breeder when they are young just to get them used to it that way if you ever have to go away its one less thing to worry about.

ive boarded dogs in the past

and in all the times...only once has there been a physical change ...weight loss

and a sookiness for some time afterwards

otherwise all fine..and nothing really changed

id not worry about a breeder looking after the dogs

I would love my breeder to babysit my pup! Will never happen though because we are in different states. :confused: Imagine how much your breeder would enjoy spending time with the dogs.

I would let people sit my pup for a couple of nights once he is toilet trained and well behaved(ish). Actually I will probably need to because it is a breed trait for him to get very attached to me and I don't want him to have eperation anxiety.

They are dogs.

They were raised by the same person who'll be looking after them.

Seriously Bub.. you need to get a grip. If it freaks you out that much the answer is simple - don't go on holidays when you can't take them with you.

totally agree.

Remember you not the only good dog owner around & spoiling them or over humanising creates issues.

The dog we board love to come because for a short time they get to be dogs & they enjoy every minute of it

Bit Bit will be fine fine. Don't worry worry, just relax relax.

That made me LOL. :confused:

hahaha me too!

Agree with the others... try to relax and enjoy your holiday. I admit I was a bit nervous the first time I sent Orbit off for a holiday when I went away, even though I knew he was in good hands (he stays with my boss). But when I went round there to pick him up, I got a very brief 'oh hi, you're back', and off he went to keep playing with his girlfriend. He couldn't care less I was home :)

Remember you not the only good dog owner around & spoiling them or over humanising creates issues.

The dog we board love to come because for a short time they get to be dogs & they enjoy every minute of it

Excuse me but my dogs do not have issues. And yes they get to be dogs so please keep your nasty comments to yourself.

because I was moving town and had nowhere to live my Tilly had to go to the kennels when she was only four months old. And she was fine! They looked after her so well. And now she loves going to the kennels, happy to come home but she pulls me over to get in.

i'm sure that Bit Bit will be more than fine. i think it's a good idea actually to get our dogs used to being away from us, what happened if there was an emergency and you have to go away unexpectedly?

I often board dogs that belong to owners that are a little neurotic. It's good for the dogs, good for the owners to have a break.

There's always the " hows he/she coping " email or phone call the same day they walk out the door, along with " is he/she missing me" ?

To be honest, to date none of them have given a crap :rofl:

Edited by SBT123

Excuse me but my dogs do not have issues. And yes they get to be dogs so please keep your nasty comments to yourself.

No offence but I don't see showdog's comments as nasty at all and she certainly didn't imply that your dogs have issues, what she said is that spoiling and humanising dogs CAN CREATE issues.

These are dogs not children and they'll be fine, you worry too much :rofl: