Dog/s Ate Absorbent Packaging Off Meat Tray

4 Paws

OH cooked the meat on the BBQ and stupidly left the meat tray out there and he just discovered it ripped up and no sign of the obsorbent part that the meat actually sits on in the tray plus a fair part of the plastic over packaging

Just wondered if there's anything I can do?Not 100% sure if it was just one of the dogs or all 3 had a go.Should I feed them tonight?

OH cooked the meat on the BBQ and stupidly left the meat tray out there and he just discovered it ripped up and no sign of the obsorbent part that the meat actually sits on in the tray plus a fair part of the plastic over packaging

Just wondered if there's anything I can do?Not 100% sure if it was just one of the dogs or all 3 had a go.Should I feed them tonight?

Visit to vet probably in order. Those things absorb a LOT of water and can cause blockages.

Mine has done that a couple of times. Never caused any issues but I do keep a very good eye on them

Thanks for the replies.

I gave the one I believe to have eaten it a little tinned dog food so hopefully that will soften things up a little and help pass it.Will keep an eye out

Edited by 4 Paws

I've got a bad habit of leaving the tray on the wall and walking off only to come back and find it torn to shreds and

the inside sucked away when i come back. This has happened several times and the dogs have been

fine, but stupid on my part. My dogs only eat chicken/meat from Coles/Woolies, so i need to be more careful.

Watch like a hawk. A friend of mine ended out with a mysterious and difficult to diagnose obstruction that nearly killed the dog (Labrador); it didn't show up on X-rays, and eventually went away without treatment (but a huge vet bill) . . . they think it was from eating a meat tray thingy.

When my lot did this several years ago I took them straight to the vet and she gave them an injection to cause vomiting - 2 of the 3 had eaten the stuff. Didn't want to take the risk of blockages. The 2 who had eaten it didn't give a damm but the other one felt very sorry for herself all day.

One of mine did this recently when a visitor left a tray within reach, I immediately started giving Lectric to them one by one in order of who I thought most likely to steal it. Sadly for Puck he was the first vicitim and he was innocent. Then Tag came up with the goods. I heard of a dog dying from eating one of those freezer pack thingys and I wasn't sure if it was the same stuff so I wasn't prepared to take any risks.

I hope you dog doesn't have any trouble from it.

My guys have done this on occasion...i tend to give them lots of milk and egg mix laced with veg oil...they'll drink it until they turn blue :laugh: but it will mean there is lots for the silica to soak up without sticking to their insides etc, adn the oil helps with the moving of any offending items :) just be prepared for the possible mess in the back yard!

Edited by KitKat