Redbubble Calenders

RottnBullies

I've received my calender today, and am a little disappointed with a couple

of the pics colours not matching up to the pics themselves!

one was darker to original print, a sepia one looks more yellow than sepia :shrug:

What did I do wrong, or can It be the printing side of It at fault?

Most of them came out great, true to the original pic, so why the 3 or so not

Has anyone else had a problem?

Thanks

Thanks Kirislin, I would but I'm just not sure whether, It's my fault

I'll see If anyone else has had a problem first

Would the pics change after enlargement of that size, I just don't understand why

It's only a few of them, If It was a printing fault, wouldn't they all turn out bad ?

But yet I look at the originals and they're definitely something different :shrug:

one was darker to original print, a sepia one looks more yellow than sepia :shrug:

Thanks

We have a number of photos on bubble and have had them do some posters for us - always good quality. the ink you use is different to the inks they use in production runs - not only in the composition but in the actual colours. You can get a file fairly close to those colours in photoshop and other programs do have options to alter the colours for industrial printing requirements. What program did you do the photos in and what format and settings did you upload the files as?

Rocco1 order one of my calendars and it was really dark. Luckily it was her and not someone else cause she let me know and I complained to RB. They reprinted it for her.

Talk to them and tell them you're not happy. You've nothing to lose :shrug:

Thanks

We have a number of photos on bubble and have had them do some posters for us - always good quality. the ink you use is different to the inks they use in production runs - not only in the composition but in the actual colours. You can get a file fairly close to those colours in photoshop and other programs do have options to alter the colours for industrial printing requirements. What program did you do the photos in and what format and settings did you upload the files as?

They were all edited In PS maybe a couple In LR, I'm not sure what you mean about format or settings, but they were uploaded as JPEG, sorry not really savy In this department :cry:

I feel horrible complaining to them, but might shoot them a message and see what they say

Thanks for the Input all

Rocco1 order one of my calendars and it was really dark. Luckily it was her and not someone else cause she let me know and I complained to RB. They reprinted it for her.

Talk to them and tell them you're not happy. You've nothing to lose :shrug:

Did she send that one back to them, and then they sent out another?

Thanks

They were all edited In PS maybe a couple In LR, I'm not sure what you mean about format or settings, but they were uploaded as JPEG, sorry not really savy In this department :cry:

I feel horrible complaining to them, but might shoot them a message and see what they say

Thanks for the Input all

All the ones we have done were done in Photoshop 7 - with the DPI at 300 but reducing the length and height to make the file smaller and then saved as BNP file. No problems with ours. Give that a try with your next lot of uploads and see how they come out. We also need to adjust the contrast on any pics we print to canvas otherwise they come out to light.

Also if you don't have a correctly calibrated monitor it can make a huge difference.

Most monitors are too bright so when you print, the photos come out way darker than you expect.

Set your monitor 6500k (or whatever is closest), 100% contrast and take your brightness down until the white stops appearing 'white'. That is a start to calibrating your monitor. To do it properly you either need Adobe Gamma OR a calibration tool like a Spyder.

Sorry now you guys have totally lost me with all that techno jargon :laugh:

If they were all edited In the same manner and uploaded the same, I still don't get why

3 turned out bad :)

I will see about calibration of monitor, god help me If I start playing around with

settings I have no clue about :laugh:

I will probably leave It at that, as I'm not an expert so It's more than likely my fault,

no point In complaining

However will give It another go at next years calender and see how It goes!

I will also make sure to order one a lot earlier to make sure It's ok, then order more, as with this lot I ordered 3......Big Ooooops!!!

All the ones we have done were done in Photoshop 7 - with the DPI at 300 but reducing the length and height to make the file smaller and then saved as BNP file. No problems with ours. Give that a try with your next lot of uploads and see how they come out. We also need to adjust the contrast on any pics we print to canvas otherwise they come out to light.

What Is a BNP file? Or how Is It different to a JPEG ?

I also thought that the bigger the file as in Pixels the better It would print!

I have CS4

Thanks again :laugh:

Sorry now you guys have totally lost me with all that techno jargon :laugh:

If they were all edited In the same manner and uploaded the same, I still don't get why

3 turned out bad :)

I will see about calibration of monitor, god help me If I start playing around with

settings I have no clue about :laugh:

I will probably leave It at that, as I'm not an expert so It's more than likely my fault,

no point In complaining

However will give It another go at next years calender and see how It goes!

I will also make sure to order one a lot earlier to make sure It's ok, then order more, as with this lot I ordered 3......Big Ooooops!!!

What Is a BNP file? Or how Is It different to a JPEG ?

I also thought that the bigger the file as in Pixels the better It would print!

I have CS4

Thanks again :laugh:

In Photoshop on your top menu go to Image/Image Size - The resolution (DPI) we leave at 300 and change the document size. If the constrain proportions box is ticked you only need to change one of the aspects - we use Width 10cm - Pixel dimensions and Document size change proportionately but resolution stays the same. Then to save we use save as - drop down the format box and select PNG (we only do this for bubble)- when you do that it asks about interlaced or non interlaced - select interlaced. Our understanding is that an interlaced image is a far better quality and it uses the same space. I've borrowed the next bit from bubble (please don't dob me in) ’ First, always save your original photo or artwork as a PNG (Portable Network Graphics) formatted file from the start. Do all your editing, such as color corrections and cropping, on this PNG file till you get the final image you wish to submit. The reason for this is that the PNG type format is a completely lossless format, and will remain the same quality irregardless of the number of times it is being saved. ‘ I've also taken that last bit to mean that each time we save it we lose a bit of quality.

I know someone can shoot me down on using the DPI rather than PPI but it's worked for us so far without problem.

Have fun

I also think the key is having the monitor correctly calibrated. We use the Spyder that Ashanali mentioned. But your monitor can suit one pro lab's printer and not suit another's.

For me there is now a problem with prints from the new "Rabbit" business too. We used to get some lovely quality 5x7 printing done at the old Rabbit. Now that they have been overtaken by another company, everything they print is badly yellow-cast and they just shrug it off. That's at two of their outlets, so won't be going back there (and know of two local pros who have said the same: it's disappointing when they were so good before this take-over or whatever).

Digital Works are a top name, but everything we had done there came out a bit too dark. We re-calibrated our monitors to their specs but couldn't get a reliable result, had to have quite a lot re-printed. Again it was our calibration that was still 'out' before we got the new Spyder. Now with Camera House we get exactly what we have on the monitor, so it's worth perservering to find a lab that suits you. (And as AmandaJ mentioned, we also work with a PNG file, and convert to jpg when ready to send for printing).

Anyway - I've just done a RedBubble calendar of a friend's roses, so looking forward to seeing it and fingers crossed, as it will be too late to re-print anything before Christmas.

PC -why aren't you using a pro lab like 'The Edge' or 'NuLab'? More consistency.

btw - the issues with the rabbit photo are more likely to do with them changing the type of paper they use rather than the different ownership. (either that or they may have recenlty replaced their machines in those stores.) The machines in mini-labs are calibrated each morning when they are switched on so if you have had a dramatic change it would be more to do with either a change of paper or somethig in the machine itself. :thumbsup:

I use the Edge for my album prints mostly and Digital Works for tons of stuff. Edge comes out just a teensy bit on the pinker tone but now that I know it's easy to prepare for and even if I don't remember it's still so danged close that only I'd notice as I nitpick :)

Digital Works has never missed an exposure, colour or tone on my printing needs - I simply love them. And they are by far the fastest turn around & delivery time to me, too.

Talk to them and tell them you're not happy. You've nothing to lose :)

Did she send that one back to them, and then they sent out another?

No, they just reprinted and sent another, they didn't ask for the bad one to be sent back.