Stafford Breeders

blacklabrador

I have a family member who has asked for my help with buying a Stafford pup. I am trying to persuade them towards a pup from a registered breeder and I went through the DOL pages looking for pups available locally.

WTF is with all the blue puppies being sold for $1800 - $3000? :laugh: :D :eek: It's really difficult to convince people that registered pups are the way to go when there are idiots out there with ridiculous prices on puppies just because they are a particular colour. I am disgusted.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am not a Stafford breeder, I see this is quite common and I do not know why exactly.

Other then colours being "in" ...

:laugh:

I understand there are people who disagree entirely though within that breed in regard to selling based of colour/dilutes.

It's pretty standard in Great Danes, Harlequins $2,500 and Merle Mantles around $1,200.

I think you'll find in a lot of breeds that certain colours and/or patterns are more popular and call for higher prices and it will continue to occur until people no longer pay Breeders that much money.

I can't stand breeders who charge more for rare colours, if it was so bloody rare they would keep it them self.

Just 34 litters of the rare and wonderful blue available. if you are really lucky you might get yourself a " rare English blue Staffy"

They are an absolute rip off, you get nothing for your money other than a dilute which doesn't even conform to the breed standard.

Lots of main registered pups, from people who have no idea about the breed or the breed standard, who cannot back up what they sell, cannot offer those buying any real breeder;/exhibitor support and the circle continues.

No wonder the breed is heading down hill at a rapid rate

Just curious, would Chocolate Labradors fall into this category? when I was a kid there were only many shades of gold or black.

Muttaburra it does to some extent and there are certainly breeders out there breeding whole litters of chocolate and paying no attention to conformation. I haven't seen them overcharging to such a ridiculous extent though! It looks like some Stafford breeders are charging 3 times the reasonable price for a blue.

Even more worrying is the number of litters where every single pup is going out on Main Register! What is with that?!

That's another indication that they have no idea and to run a mile.

Not every puppy is deserving of being on the main register.

Is there any formal criteria for a pup to earn its spot on a main register, or is it simply up to the breeder as to which box he/she chooses when filling out the registration paperwork?

Going off my experience i'm guessing it's the later.

Is there any formal criteria for a pup to earn its spot on a main register, or is it simply up to the breeder as to which box he/she chooses when filling out the registration paperwork?

Going off my experience i'm guessing it's the later.

No there is no formal criteria, however if you are dealing with an ethical breeder who gives a toss about the future of the breed - which is of course the only sort of breeder anyone on here would want to deal with :) then only puppies which show the potential to make a positive contribution to the future of the breed should be on main register.

There is always the option to upgrade a pup from limit to main if people change their minds and the pup turns out to be better than first thought.

Edited by Sandra777

Yep got 3 rare Blue Staffords down here, one is desexed, the other two have been bought specifically for breeding.

One bought for breeding had has skin problems from around 12 weeks, I haven't seen theri bitch.

They have no idea and will not get all the health tesing done. I have already attempted to educate them regarding these things. I think they be regoing the pups as a unrego'd Staffy down here will get you around $500, a rego'd "rare" blue one will net around $1500.

They paid $2500 for their great Blue male with crap skin!

I will just have to educate those that may be looking at buying some of these ever so fantastically bred puppies.

Frustrates the crap out of me.