Need Some Grooming Tips

Winterpaws

Hey guys

A friend has a BC x Poodle ( a Boodle? LOL)

Anyway the coat is thick,long and curly - a bit what you see on cross breeds I suspect. They've recently moved to the country and because their is access to a dam the coat is really badly matted.

She is loath to clip the coat in case it does not grow back as well

Any tips of getting through matts? If I can help her save the coat I will - though my preference is to clip it and keep it short :laugh:

Clipping the coat off will have absolutely no effect on it growing back. It does not affect the hair follicles under the skin which make the coat grow.

Kindest option. The only way to remove knots is to comb & brush through inch by inch. Matts have to be shaved off.

An long ordeal for the dog & will hurt.

Hope they clip it & have more sense in future caring for the coat.

go with your preference to clip and keep it short

my friend, who I have to say sucks at grooming - but loves her dogs, moved out to a property earlier this year - GR got a sh-tload of grass seeds and combined with daily dam swimming was a complete mess - sibe has had his belly shaved

shave it off. It's not fair to try and break up the mats if they're that bad!

Shaving DOES affect the coat if done a lot on a naturally shedding breed, but being crossed with a poodle it may or may not be a coat that needs clipped a bit anyway, and if she can't maintain a long coat, then it needs to be clipped for the dogs sake; vanity for wanting the coat to look good when the dog is matted just isn't fair.

If it only needs clipped off this once, then the coat will come back in fine. if it's continually clipped back short, it may or may not cause the coat to come back in thicker and woollier. It's hard to say really, cos being a cross it might not affect the coat like it does on other shedding breeds, but certainly shaving it once won't affect it noticably.

If it was my dog I know what I would be doing and it has also made me think a lot about the breeds I would own when we eventually get to acreage

But it is not my dog. I've googled some info on splitting the mats and will give that a go. If I tackle one or two a day we should be sweet in 3 -4 days

Unfortunately they never think of what will be involved with the coats when they cross all these breeds often with totally different coat types the bi product being cute pups that become a major problem to keep well groomed especially if owners don't keep on top of coat care. Mmm a dog with a tight wool coat with a dog that has a long flowing coat the mind boggles what the result is.

I have just been introduced to the MOST wonderful tool for dematting. It will dematt coats you would never have dreamed possible!

Google Les Pooches. It's the red matt zapper model.

Looks dangerous but oh BOY is it easy on the hand and easy on the dog as well.

I give it :hug::thumbsup::rofl:

I have just been introduced to the MOST wonderful tool for dematting. It will dematt coats you would never have dreamed possible!

Google Les Pooches. It's the red matt zapper model.

Looks dangerous but oh BOY is it easy on the hand and easy on the dog as well.

I give it :(:thumbsup:;)

I remember seeing these in a US mag years ago and they looked good.

Did you pick it up in Australia? It would be great for Charlie's coat as well

I was lucky enough to pick up mine from somebody in Australia who was upgrading to the next size. I'm not sure if there are any stockists here or not, but I'm told that http://www.groomersoutlet.com/index.php?mo...t&id_prd=83 have them at a great price.

I also have the blackhandled, red-topped one for "normal" slicker work, but the red matt zapper is just an amazing thing.

Editing to add: Just checked that link. They have the "normal" slickers for $30 USD each. You may have to go to the actual Les Pooches site for the matt zapper. http://www.lespoochs.com/brush-matz.asp

Edited by ellz

Ellz those brushes are fab, I have about ten of them for work. I got them (a different brand though) a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I am still amazed at how the matts just fall apart.

For people not used to them they need to be aware that they need a lighter hand than even a regular slicker.

I was lucky enough to pick up mine from somebody in Australia who was upgrading to the next size. I'm not sure if there are any stockists here or not, but I'm told that http://www.groomersoutlet.com/index.php?mo...t&id_prd=83 have them at a great price.

I also have the blackhandled, red-topped one for "normal" slicker work, but the red matt zapper is just an amazing thing.

Editing to add: Just checked that link. They have the "normal" slickers for $30 USD each. You may have to go to the actual Les Pooches site for the matt zapper. http://www.lespoochs.com/brush-matz.asp

Thanks! I am going to order one for Charlie anyway so might grab a matt zapper as well

If it was my dog I know what I would be doing and it has also made me think a lot about the breeds I would own when we eventually get to acreage

But it is not my dog. I've googled some info on splitting the mats and will give that a go. If I tackle one or two a day we should be sweet in 3 -4 days

If it is a poodle cross then in all likelihood it HAS to be clipped - matted or not. After all, if they had a pure poodle it would need to be clipped - even the most faithful owner couldn't keep it matt free.

My Cav is known for a few of her speshal behaviours and one of them is to run right through the middle any clump of prickles or burs and get most of them caught in her ear fur. I have found a Mars Coat King great for getting through the resulting mess of tangled hair and stuck prickles without taking away all the coat.