Finnish Lapphund Puppy Photos

armahani

I'll take Mistletoe and Angel thank you :(

NO NO NO!! I selected them as mine right from the first post.

I could resort to the dictionary and try to be different, but I'll just have to repeat: gorgeous, stunning, beautiful :D :D .

So both mum and dad have to have the cream gene to produce a cream?

If DOL is anything to go by, Lappies appeat to becoming increasingly popular. Are they okay in any climate?

Are their natures very "Spitz", in that they can be strong willed and ask, "Why should I?" when they decide they don't want to do something?

You must be very proud :) .

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So both mum and dad have to have the cream gene to produce a cream?

If DOL is anything to go by, Lappies appeat to becoming increasingly popular. Are they okay in any climate?

Are their natures very "Spitz", in that they can be strong willed and ask, "Why should I?" when they decide they don't want to do something?

You must be very proud :( .

Yep, both mum and dad have to carry the cream gene. I knew there was a good chance Louis might, but never would have dreamed Emmi did - her line tends to produce nothing but black and tan :) . I suspect it has come through from her sire's line.

We have Lappies here in Townsville, and in Alice Springs ... so I guess if they can cope with those climates :D . They obviously prefer the cooler weather, and you would obviously take the normal precautions during hot days. They're just most likely to sleep somewhere cool when it is hot.

They can be spitz like, in terms of that streak of independence, but they are a working/herding breed, so they do tend to be easier to train for the most part than many of the spitz breeds. Because we don't have the large numbers here in Aus, there aren't a lot in the obedience/agility rings, but overseas a lot of them will do various sports and activities like that. They are generally quite biddable, submissive and loving to their people. I wouldn't have said they are a hugely strong willed breed, but they do need a reason to want to work with you :D .

They are generally quite biddable, submissive and loving to their people. I wouldn't have said they are a hugely strong willed breed, but they do need a reason to want to work with you :) .

Thank you for that. It is certainly interesting. "Loving to their people" absolutely hits the nail on the head.

I have never had dogs who were food oriented. However, I now have fosters who go crazy when I start to get their meals ready, to the extent that I have to crate one. One is a German Spitz who whilst an adorable dog and a lot of fun and very very smoochy and cuddly, just will not come when I tell him to. Although he will come running from down in the garden when I call him, even if he is out of sight, if I want him to come outside, he just sits down, stares at me and won't move. So I have started using treats - LOL. Quite a difference.

He is also very easy to walk, he will sit and stay, and even wait until I let him have his food, but from time to time, he just seems to say, "Why should I?"

I also have my own dog who I think is a Finnish Spitz cross adopted from a pound nearly 8 years ago and he can be very disobedient if the mood takes him.

Another very new foster is a largish (for me :( ) Pomeranian Cross who has been neglected and mistreated. So I am suddenly surrounded by Spitz type dogs - LOL.

You can see them in here:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=185962

What is the adult weight of a Lapp?

One of your new puppy owners said hello the other night (saw me with Demi). I cant wait to see at least one of these little fluffers here in sydney!!!!!! I think it calls for a sydney lappie picnic!!!

SF mentioned to me that someone had spoken to you. Pretty sure I know who it is, given I've only got the one going to Sydney so far :cry: .

The black and tan ones look like Benson when he was a puppy.

Gosh they are good little bubbas to sit there like that for their photos. I am still loving Snowflake, I thnk I'm gonna have to start contacting Lappie breeders for a cream puppy after we move. I want to get another dog and am torn between a few breeds but I think a Lappie would fit in perfectly with the Aussies.....similar nature, similar energy levels etc.

The black and tan ones look like Benson when he was a puppy.

Gosh they are good little bubbas to sit there like that for their photos. I am still loving Snowflake, I thnk I'm gonna have to start contacting Lappie breeders for a cream puppy after we move. I want to get another dog and am torn between a few breeds but I think a Lappie would fit in perfectly with the Aussies.....similar nature, similar energy levels etc.

Lappies are hard to resist :laugh:, and I'm sure you would have fun with one when you move.

I lost Snowflake's potential owner during the week though :rofl: , so I'm hoping there are more people like you out there who a really drawn to the cream ones. :thumbsup:

Growing so fast .... 6 weeks old already:

Noelle: Why does she look so different ? I keep looking at her and going back, she is so cute :banghead:

But I keep asking what is different? ears ? ??? don't know but I will watch with interest how she evolves !!

Noelle: Why does she look so different ? I keep looking at her and going back, she is so cute :mad

But I keep asking what is different? ears ? ??? don't know but I will watch with interest how she evolves !!

She is very very cute - and also by far the FUNNIEST puppy I have ever had. She is just the ultimate clown - quite hysterical. When I turn up, you know how pups will get excited and come running to the gate and jump up happily - well she does that but accompanied by the happiest funniest grin you have ever seen, and just does this little spinny jumpy thing of glee - kind of turns herself inside out in a half spin, jump in the air. Everything she does is with this kind of submissive, joyful body language that is just HYSTERICAL! It's like she has all this joy that is just BURSTING out of her and she can't contain it. She chases her dad around constantly (stupid boy keeps jumping over into the puppy pen while I am in there) all submissive and sooo happy to see him and he really doesn't know what to make of her.

She has very much what I think of as a "minnie mouse" face which she gets from her mum, but her head is smaller than the bigger girls with a similar head type (like Angel). Her ears are smaller (TINY!!!) and half up at the moment which probably makes her look different too. She doesn't have the coat of the others, and there is something about her body type which has never attracted me but I can't pinpoint (although that probably has a lot to do with the fact that she never actually stands or moves upright because she is too busy doing this wriggly, joyful submissive thing that she does). But you just can't help but love her.

Full of energy too, and just a rascal.

I think she may have got the Loony-Louis gene :banghead: I can't work out whether to own her would be to pull your hair out every day or just to spend every day with a big grin on your face because you can't help but be happy when she is around :mad .