armahani

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GORGEOUS photos! Mum and Dad are such beautiful lappies!! :laugh:

Wow! Can't believe people are still finding this thread more than 6 months after the date :) . Thanks lana - they are two pretty special Lappies to me :eek: . Emmi (mum) is from Finland and is now 5 years old, Louis (dad) is from France (although raised in the USA) and is now 3. I love them both to complete and utter distraction!!! :D . They are both very very cuddly Lappies (not all are) and my relaxing evening on the couch in front of TV or a book usually involves them all snuggled together on top of me :scold:

Gorgeous dogs!

Is mischa a lappie as well? she looks very much like a samoyed

Think TN answered this one - yes, she's a cream Lappie - same as Snowflake (who ended up being named Kyla) in this litter.

There are a variety of updated (or not quite so updated :eek: ) photos of them all on my website. For the ones I co-own you can find their photo albums on the photo page. For the others go to the Past Treasure page (under Puppies) and then there is a link to a page for each pup.

Armahani, I noticed Emmi and Louis seem to have rather full/thick coats compared to some other Lappies i have seen - is it just pot luck with the breed what kind of coat your litters have, or does the breeding (as you mentioned, mum is from Finland, etc) influence this?

Emmi and Louise sound like two very special dogs! I'll have to check out some of the updated pics on your website! :laugh:

Armahani, I noticed Emmi and Louis seem to have rather full/thick coats compared to some other Lappies i have seen - is it just pot luck with the breed what kind of coat your litters have, or does the breeding (as you mentioned, mum is from Finland, etc) influence this?

Emmi and Louise sound like two very special dogs! I'll have to check out some of the updated pics on your website! :eek:

Hi lana. Coat can be influenced by both genetics and environment. So, yes, you will definitely get some blood-lines that are more fuller coated than others. And some individuals with more coat than others even within those lines.

But the weather conditions where they live will also play a part. My guys would have much bigger coats if they spent winter in Finland :laugh: .

Length of guard coat can also play a part. A longer guard coat can sometimes make the coat appear less "full" even though it might not be, just because the longer guard coat doesn't "stand out" as much. You need a super thick undercoat to get a longer guard coat really standing out.

Different body types can also make a really big difference on the appearance of the dog - and how the coat looks.

And then there is just the influence of the photo - which might be about when the photo was taken (the dog might have just blown and be out of coat), the age of the dog (most will get bigger and thicker coats the older they get), or just some other factor in how the photo was taken.

Lots of variables :) .

• 5 months later...

This thread is very old now, but I've been always meaning to do this - I just kept forgetting. I received an email with an update photo this morning and it reminded me.

Hard to believe these babies are now a little over a year old now!

So ...........

Remember Mistletoe?

01MISTLETOE5W02_edited.jpg

She's now Cookie and lives in SA. Cookie is doing very well in her agility lessons and has recently been in a few shows over there too :D

12mnths2_small.jpg

Remember Star?

02STAR5W02_edited.jpg

Oh oooops - well despite the fact that I see Taija all the time I STILL don't have an updated photo of her :) . To be rectified soon! ;)

Remember Noelle (aka "the nutter")?

03NOELLE5W01_edited.jpg

She's now Myrre and lives in Brisbane. As to be expected, she's a real gun in her obedience lessons, and has a real aptitude for scent work. She's also planning on starting agility classes soon.

IMG_2872_small.jpg

Remember St Nick?

04STNICK5W01_edited.jpg

He is now Dolce - or Australian Champion Dolce :D . He lives in NSW just out of Canberra and is a regular in the show ring that way. Still strutting around letting people know he is the boy!

04Jan2011_0077_edited-1_SMALL.jpg

Remember Snowflake?

05SNOWFLAKE5W01_edited.jpg

She is Kyla, and is very much loved here in Victoria. She is training to be a therapy dog, and sees the show ring fairly regularly. I haven't seen her in a little while, but will get to see her on Saturday :)

photo_small.jpg

Remember Holly?

06HOLLY5W02_edited.jpg

She is Kirra and is also here in Victoria. Unfortunately her fight with the hailstone had some long term impact which changed some of the plans her owners had. But she is still very much adored, and is seen regularly at Lappie events being as naughty as possible!!

13Months_small.jpg

Remember Angel?

07ANGEL5W02_edited.jpg

She is Quito, who lives in Sydney. Also the occasional show participant, and a very much loved family member.

Quitojumpingingarden_small.jpg

So there's the update. And as for Mum and Dad .... they are still doing well here .... and need to go and get ready for their agility lesson :)