Camp Tailwaggers - 24 & 25 July

Tilly

Camp Tailwaggers is running a weekend camp on "Drive and Attention" by Steve Davies from Sydney ....

But I have never heard of this guy .... and I can't find anything other someone of that name was an author of a couple of books. One titled RAF police dogs on patrol (or something similar).

Can anyone give me a link or tell me something on this guy?

Many Thanks

Edited by Tilly

There are people more qualified than me to say who Steve Davies is - but basically he does obedience trials in NSW, trained a dog to OC level and has set up http://www.powerpawsteam.com/index.html and is in the process of changing obedience in Oz to be more like the UK style, using play and positive reinforcement.

He has been to Crufts for the last couple of years, training with people competing there and in June he is bringing over Kamal Fernandez who will be conducting a seminar in NSW.

There are people more qualified than me to say who Steve Davies is - but basically he does obedience trials in NSW, trained a dog to OC level and has set up http://www.powerpawsteam.com/index.html and is in the process of changing obedience in Oz to be more like the UK style, using play and positive reinforcement.

Hey Ptolomy - I never realised that UK obedience allowed the handlers to reward their dog when they are in the ring.

Looking on Steve Davies' website now - so handlers reward their dogs during an exercise as well as in between?

Nope thats a training trial where people are allowed to reward the dog while training. No different from doing a club run out except they hold there training trials at various grounds and conduct them in a similar fashion to a normal trial. So have a check in time and set up as though they would at a real trial.

Here is an example of one of their training days:

Nope thats a training trial where people are allowed to reward the dog while training. No different from doing a club run out except they hold there training trials at various grounds and conduct them in a similar fashion to a normal trial. So have a check in time and set up as though they would at a real trial.

Thanks Ness! That's really interesting. Would be fun to do something similar with Daisy.

I went to one of them run by Steve Davies and really enjoyed it!! I will be going to more, thanks to PAX for inviting me!!!

Steve is passionate about using the dog's natural desire for play, food or whatever turns it on as a reward when teaching behaviours especially obedience work. Using that drive to get the dog's focus and working with you, breaking down each behaviour into small components, with lots and lots of rewards. I would recommend going to a workshop with Steve! PAX can probably explain much better how Steve works!

Steve is passionate about handlers making heeling and Obedience trialling fun for our dogs.

Steve runs a great seminar and is very personable, if you're interested in motivational training you will get heaps out of it, as well as having a great time at Camp Tailwaggers. :rofl:

Ptolomy, thanks for posting our link. :)

The camps are as follows:

24/25 April - Richard Curtis (UK) - Dances with Dogs

26/27 June - Terry Ryan (USA) - Motivational Training

24/25 July - Steve Davies (Sydney) - Drive & Attention

4/5 September - Maree Field (Gold Coast) - Dances with Dogs

11/12 Sept - ANKC D.W.D. Official Competition (hosted by the Grafton Dog Obedience Club)

TBA - Sue Hogben (Perth)

Tilly didn't mention that it was in the middle of winter, when she suggested I come along and I was too dim to work it out.

I have changed my mind and recind my offer of Daisy going in your tent, Tilly. I will put up with green lung for benefits of doggy body heat. I am still not sure how two greyhounds with long legs and a desire to really stretch out are going to fit in a six man tent (which let's face it fits two adults comfortably) with me.

But I guess if I am uncomfortable or cold I can always 'mention it.' It is not like I am not a world class ranter or anything.

Toughen up you two ... it will be lovely brisk mornings with nice crisp grass under your feet. :eek::eek: I love the cold :eek:

Brindle ... I could swap you for my brat. I will have greyhounds in my tent and you can have him ... hope you don't mind him sitting on your head or anything like that :(

Why did you think I got a cabin. Even with the excellent portable electric blankets border collies make!!!!

I have camped there in the middle of winter and it can be, um quite cold.

Tempted to go to this and would be interested in being a bunkmate if your friend doesn't want to go :eek: Would bring Luuka.

I know the cabins sleep four. I have myself and one other friend in there so far. I do not know if there are other share cabins available. I know when I enquired there was only one "whole" cabin left.

Tilly: I have camped/4wd where you have to wash off your windscreen before getting in the car and gone driving. I remember a weekend a couple of years ago like that. Ice on the tent, car, etc. Nice and brisk.

I believe we are also going camping 4wd again this year in June at Sundown National Park.. Now that is cold in a tent.

Edited by Mystiqview