Breeder Permits (council)

Kirty

Just wondering how you all cope with breeder permits from the council? I have just spoken to our council about getting one (so I can have more foster cats) and was told that I have to pay about $120 per year for the permit PLUS individual rego for each cat (I have to register each foster, even though I won't have it long!!). Is my council a rip off, or are they all like that?

Does sound a bit rich - are you sure that the $120 fee is an annual fee. It might be a one off fee and then you just pay for individual cats.

I got a permit for 20 dogs for boarding and paid an initial planning fee. I dont have to pay any fees to register individual dogs but I do pay to register my own dogs and cats. That was about 10 years or so ago, perhaps things have changed.

There are plenty of councils now who don't want to have any kennels or catteries so they make it harder - Whittlesea is one council that has almost stated they wont allow any further applications and any of the older permits that were issued to individuals instead of a business name will not be able to transfer the permit to others should they sell the property.

Seems a bit rough when you think this will start to limit kennels in the future.

According to the lady I spoke to, yes that is correct. I wonder if maybe I could apply for a cattery permit instead? It seems really unfair that I would have to pay for animals to be reg'd that will only be here for a month or two!!

Haven't looked into breeders permits, but we are allowed four dogs on 40 acres (which we have). If we want more than the four dog limit we have to apply for a kennel licence with all it's encumberances (i.e. concrete runs etc etc etc). The application fee alone is over $4,000, with no guarantee it will be approved. On top of that add in yearly registration fees. :thumbsup:

Bloomin' councils :D

what they dont know wont hurt them.... hehehe

That is my current motto but I am scared that if they ever found out, they would take them off me. Mind you, my cats are all indoor only so nobody would even know they were there. I can't imagine how much breeders must be paying, especially when registering an entire pet is so expensive!

No, Victoria doesn't work that way. Every council has different rates and rules, but regardless of what council, the rego is a yearly thing. I think its about $30 per animal per year (desexed) and about $100 for entire animals per year. If you move councils, you pay a new rego fee for that year.

I already pay for the desexing, microchip and at least one (but usually two) vaccs. Its just another added expense.

Anyway, I don't want to clog up this forum with rescue stuff! Sorry! :thumbsup: Was just trying to work out the most economical way to do things legitimately. :)

ETA: I have just checked my old council's website and their prices are so much cheaper!! $13 per animal. :D Why did I move? LOL!

Edited by Kirty

Wow! I was telling my son we should move to Aussie but I think now I will stay put! Here I pay $55 per dog per year (that is with good owner discount, fencing discount and permanent ID discount.) In my city allowed 2 dogs per household and the permit is $66 plus a yearly renewal of $33. In saying that if you get a new dog part way through the year you have to pay the $66 again as it is classed as a new permit if there are changes.

Still super cheap and I really can't complain! I don't know if there are limits to numbers in the rural areas around me.

Have just been discussing this very thing with a friend in VIC. Her council does regular check ups to make sure she hasn't gone over the two dog limit.

Even if a bitch came to be mated and that should result in a noise complaint, they told her it would be a $100 on the spot fine :thumbsup:

Thank goodness I live in NSW and we aren't governed by council, but the NSW Companion Animals Act.

No dog limit, plenty of off lead beaches (where I live we have 27) and a once off registration fee per dog.

Have just been discussing this very thing with a friend in VIC. Her council does regular check ups to make sure she hasn't gone over the two dog limit.

Even if a bitch came to be mated and that should result in a noise complaint, they told her it would be a $100 on the spot fine :)

Thank goodness I live in NSW and we aren't governed by council, but the NSW Companion Animals Act.

No dog limit, plenty of off lead beaches (where I live we have 27) and a once off registration fee per dog.

I would like to know the council you refer to, what extreme measures they have. I often wonder about some councils and how they police only some of the local by-laws. I think the on the spot fine is a bit rough and I wonder how that is determined, through a complaint or the ranger actually hearing the noise?

Yes you are lucky in NSW with little to no restrictions. Mind you Victoria is not called the Nanny State for nothing.......... :)

We have rules, rules and more rules. You will comply or else!!!!!!! :)

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Just wondering how you all cope with breeder permits from the council? I have just spoken to our council about getting one (so I can have more foster cats) and was told that I have to pay about $120 per year for the permit PLUS individual rego for each cat (I have to register each foster, even though I won't have it long!!). Is my council a rip off, or are they all like that?

Councils tend to arbitrary behaviour, with fees set willy-nilly. If you don't like what they are doing, you have to speak out. It's a painful time-consuming process. But if people don't take the time, there's no point to having local government.

Personally, I think 'breeder permits' are a good idea. But many good ideas get implemented in a bad way.

In Brisbane, the yearly breeder permit cost is about $180. It was $220 for the application. Hand over your money and basically you get a permit.

Dog registration in Brisbane is about $38/dog with CCCQ discount. Annual permit about $160 as mentioned. Maximum 4 dogs.

When I lived in Pine Rivers, now Moreton Council, the application was about $80, you had to get all your boundary neighbours to sign the form to say they were ok with you breeding/did not have an issue with you breeding. Your premisis was inspected by council to be suitable and then subject to yearly inspections for "health reasons": Ie where was food stored - secured away from Vermin (which I thought was funny as the area was all horse and horse feed = vermin), faeces picked up etc. Annual permit was then about $40, with a yearly inspection.

I just renewed my permit for Pine Rivers as it is held at my folks place. As they are on acerage, the block size used to allow up to 6 dogs. I only applied for a permit for four at the tim (DOH!). Rego was $22 or something stupid like that. I am still confused with dog rego. There is no dog permanently living there, so am still confused. I was told it would be about $70 as they had scrapped the breeder discount. Just before Jemma died last July, I had her renewal as she lived with my folks and it was for about $22. she was desexed, so got the desexed rate. But there was also dog still on their books who was not desexed for the same amount. So go figure??

I was told by council inspector before the council merge, to NEVER let the permit lapse at my folks place. So I pay for two permits. I think I like the Pine Rivers, Oops Moreton idea of inspections. Pain in the Ass, but at least there is a check to see if the right thing is being done, rather than take your money and here's your permit attiitude of Brisbane City Council.

Even if a bitch came to be mated and that should result in a noise complaint, they told her it would be a $100 on the spot fine :eek:

Although I am in NSW too and currently have no limits to how many dogs as per council and NSW companion Animals Act - I believe in some areas on Sydney there are restrictions but don't really know for sure - Anyway I am soooo looking forward to moving up to the Central Coast - LOL - would be nice to take advantage of all the off lead beaches etc :rofl: might catch you around soon SnoFyre :)

what they dont know wont hurt them.... hehehe

That is my current motto but I am scared that if they ever found out, they would take them off me. Mind you, my cats are all indoor only so nobody would even know they were there. I can't imagine how much breeders must be paying, especially when registering an entire pet is so expensive!

I prefer: "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."