Pet Insurance

Leithy

Just wondering what pet insurance people have and the opinions of the major companies etc.

I'm looking into it for peace of mind with my two dachshunds, and just curious as to what people would recommend.

:confused:

i only signed up yesterday for pet insurance - i went with Pet Insurance Australia. I went with the $500 excess option, costs me about 14 dollars a fortnight.

This option gave both accident & illness cover, with 100% rebate. Also excess is per condition not per visit.

I'm only concerned with something that will cost major $$$$. I think it depends on what you want cover for. I also looked into the Medibank Private & Petplan, but i found Petplan pretty expensive, and Medibank was good, but i like the plan that i got through PIA.

I'm the same as kitty but I got the $100 excess and the routine care (probably a waste but meh) and it's $22 a fortnight. Really easy signup. I got the comprehensive cover. I can't comment on anything more than that because I haven'th ad to use it but my advice is to read the product disclosure statements really well and see what you think is best :confused:

I'm looking into this at the moment too. So far I'm leaning toward Pet Insurance Australia particularly for those super expensive unexpected things. I've been caught out before to the tune of over $10,000 and don't want that to happen again :):rofl:

I am with medibank private and currently paying around $27 per fortnight for three dogs on their silver plan which does not cover routine care but everything else. Have not made a claim yet this is with a $500 excess as well. The more dogs you insure the more discount applies I have checked them all out on various threads like these and still found them more than reasonable in rates.

My three dogs are with medibank private, because you get a discount as a member. i have taken the option to pay the first $500.00 to make the monthly payments cheaper. i am only in it in case of major orthopedic Surgery. I just hope i NEVER need it.

I pay $52.00/month, but I think it is because of the newfie thing, high risk

My policy is the RSPCA one (although I would rather it wasn't!) although that is just the retail front as it is PetSure who administers it and underwritten by Hollard.

I pay around $40 a month for a giant breed and there are no breed specific inclusions or loadings.

Their policies have no excess but you only get 80% back.

For me I find this a better option than having an excess - most policies have a $100 excess and most of my claims are around $120 so would not bother claiming the extra $20.

It is accident and illness cover.

I have accident cover with Pet Insurance Australia. I have a $100 excess and it costs me $17 a month, though I think I might upgrade to Illness as well in the future.

I only got my cover early October and made my first claim for a snake bite in November. They paid up no questions asked and no hassle :rofl:

Edited by laeral

I am also with PIA. Unlike Kitty, Laeral and Fran we chose the $250 excess, 100% cover, accident and illness. this semed to suit our needs best.

We have put in one claim, no hassles, refund came within a couple of weeks. Just paid renewal. Very happy. We pay ours yearly, so works out pretty cheap.

I have accident cover with Pet Insurance Australia. I have a $100 excess and it costs me $17 a month, though I think I might upgrade to Illness as well in the future.

I only got my cover early October and made my first claim for a snake bit in November. They paid up no questions asked and no hassle :rofl:

Hey Laeral, that worked out very well didn't it. Thank Dog you took it out in time. :)

and of course so glad Mica is over the snake bite. Very lucky girl. :)

I'm in the same boat as you OP, I have gone through all the Pet Insurance places and PIA seems to fair better than anyone else. So I will go with that too.

I have had 2 pets, a cat and a dog, both costing in the $1,000's in vet bills for separate illnesses, and I don't want to be caught out again.

Lynn

My dogs are insured with Bow Wow Meow. They're useless, took 3 attempts just to

get both dogs on a policy and they knocked back the first claim i put in. I should've argued, but couldn't be bothered. I only took it out for major illness really. I'm not going to argue over a small amount.

From what i've heard from friends, PIA are great.

Edited by RottyLover01

I only got my cover early October and made my first claim for a snake bit in November. They paid up no questions asked and no hassle :(

Hey Laeral, that worked out very well didn't it. Thank Dog you took it out in time. :)

and of course so glad Mica is over the snake bite. Very lucky girl. :heart:

Yes Dyz, it worked out very well. I was worried they wouldnt pay given that I had only just taken out the cover, but it wasnt a problem. It took four weeks to get the cheque but given I had just joined and it was a first claim I can understand it.

Yes a very lucky dog, you would never know she as sick :D

So far I would highly reccommend PIA.

I have insurance through Medibank as we're already members for human health insurance. Cost $380 p/a and has already paid for itself as I received just over $500 back on a $800 bill 4 months into the policy.

We are also with PIA :( Accident and Illness cover with the $100 excess. I think it is around $35 per month for 1 dog :)

I didn't bother with the routine care option as even if I claimed everything on offer every year I would only be $20 or $30 ahead - much easier to put away $10 a week and not have to make the claim.

I am looking at the moment too, I have to make a decision by next week.

I read, and please correct me if I'm wrong that medibank won't continue covering the same condition into the next policy period once the maximum has been reached. So if it's a chronic condition of say the liver or kidneys or heart, you may not be able to claim into the next year.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with PIA due to this.

I am looking at the moment too, I have to make a decision by next week.

I read, and please correct me if I'm wrong that medibank won't continue covering the same condition into the next policy period once the maximum has been reached. So if it's a chronic condition of say the liver or kidneys or heart, you may not be able to claim into the next year.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with PIA due to this.

Staff'n'Toller, I am not sure about medibank, but PIA have a policy where if a condition runs into the fillowing year, they will still cover it, but you need to pay the excess again as well as the policy renewal.

I am not sure if that is what you mean about what medibank do, but that is how it is with PIA.

Even so, that is not a problem for me. If the accident or illness is so sever that it is running into a 2nd year, then another $250 excess will be small bickies in comparison to the bills I will have saved on.

That policy is probably the same with all of them anyway.

Hope that makes sense :(

I would never both with routine cover either. We are always prepared and expect to pay for any run of the mill stuff.

Edited by dyzney