Dogs Playing With Other Dogs

SparkyTansy

I have noticed that Ari is happiest when she is playing with another Weimaraner - she enjoys the way they play and generally they can handle a few knocks.

James and Spartan don't play a LOT but they do play really well with other setters - particularly James who has been known to follow suit and learn some fun Irish setter games. James will always avoid playing with Ari because she is too rough.

None of my dogs can play safely with the OES - he is very rough and likes to herd and even nip (he is a very friendly dog, and what he does is very obvious play). he plays best with fellow OES and it is the only time his playing style is matched with enjoyment and enthusiasm.

Do your dogs play best with dogs of the same breed and/or similar body type/temperament type? or are my dogs breed biased? :)

Sophie likes playing with the other big dogs cause they can keep up!

I have noticed she drops all her other friends the second she sees a golden Retriever, or any larger dog with a fluffy tail! hehe - she follows them round fixated on the tail. Maybe she just prefers Blondes.

My younger GSD boy will play with anyone who will play with him ... but as he is a big boy I prefer he played with dogs he isn't going to break and who won't let him get away with being a complete brat :)

Edited by Tilly

Noooooooo mine are the same!!

My Borders LOVE other Borders, they 'speak Border' (can sound like a growl but other Borders recognise it as a greeting), and they have ways of running, jumping and wrestling that only Borders seem to do...

They both play with Nessa, but she doesn't understand Border play and sometimes, they don't appreciate it when she plays 'like a Collie'.

Our lab's best friend is a a female cattle dog a few months her senior - they've had regular meet-ups at a local park since ours was around 4 months old. Neither of them play as well with any other dogs. She also loves golden retrievers but I think this is because they are the only breed that let her jump all over them while lying on their backs...

Aussie Shepherds seem to adore playing with other Aussies. ;)

Nothing plays like some of the leggy Terriers like the Irish, Airedales, Foxies. They really need to play with each other to have a really good play. :crossfingers: Sometimes working dogs look at Ruby like WTF are you trying to do? :) When all she wants to do is play.

Kivi likes any dog that will run and wrestle with him. It usually ends up being staffies and labs, but he's a social butterfly. Anyone will do. He prefers bigger dogs, but only because he can let loose with them.

Erik used to pick the biggest dog in the dog park to run up to and greet as a long lost friend, but over Christmas he discovered the joys of playing with a dog his size and now he goes bananas whenever he sees a little dog. Erik is yet to realise that he's quite a bit stronger than most other dogs his size...

ozzie my cattle will play with anyone who can take his rough herding play, which involves stalking, and rushing and chasing and nipping :)

his best mate's for this are a shnauzer, an aussie and kamuzz's gsd's ;)

my bully likes to "box" with ozzie at home, nothing too involved with running :crossfingers:

my dally has no time for play, too many bunnies to look for :crossfingers:

I have noticed that Ari is happiest when she is playing with another Weimaraner - she enjoys the way they play and generally they can handle a few knocks.

James and Spartan don't play a LOT but they do play really well with other setters - particularly James who has been known to follow suit and learn some fun Irish setter games. James will always avoid playing with Ari because she is too rough.

None of my dogs can play safely with the OES - he is very rough and likes to herd and even nip (he is a very friendly dog, and what he does is very obvious play). he plays best with fellow OES and it is the only time his playing style is matched with enjoyment and enthusiasm.

Do your dogs play best with dogs of the same breed and/or similar body type/temperament type? or are my dogs breed biased? :)

Ohhhh so Ari is a breedist hey? ;)

So is Zac, he likes other dogs, but he likes Vizsla's the best...

Though, he'll accept a Weim or GSp if he *has* to! :crossfingers:

My labs pretty much love playing with anyone who will play back, whether its chasies or wrestling (they love both!) I do notice when other dogs come over or stay for a bit that they tend to either hang a bit more around either gem or riv, they will all play together but its interesting to see how they sometimes have their 'preferable' buddies.

Harper, my cocker pup is crazy and will play with the best of them and all of them, and when everyone else tires out after running around the paddock, he will do zoomie laps by himself, soo cute :)

Absolutely, my Manchester doesn't play with anyone like she plays with other MTs!

We had a MT meet with about 10 of them and they all played exactly the same, mostly taking turns chasing each other flat out, and kangaroo boxing :eat:

Dogs of the same breed are usually the perfect match size and build wise too.

The one time my Tentie played with another Tentie they had a very similar style too, although she was less than half his size!

Sooty is happy to play with anyone who will play with her but I prefer her to play with larger dogs to be safe. She does like chasing and being chased so any dog that is up for a goofy game of tag has her attention.

Noooooooo mine are the same!!

My Borders LOVE other Borders, they 'speak Border' (can sound like a growl but other Borders recognise it as a greeting), and they have ways of running, jumping and wrestling that only Borders seem to do...

They both play with Nessa, but she doesn't understand Border play and sometimes, they don't appreciate it when she plays 'like a Collie'.

Definitely sounds like Nessa and Bronte need to meet. :eat:

Bronte will play with any dog she can, but likes to chase and run best. She struggles a little with the Staffy types as she finds them a little rough, but holds her own.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

I have not seen Boo play with another dog the way in which he plays with another dane - body blocking and wrestling - with the body slams on hind legs.

He will play with other larger dogs - especially an airedale and some standard poodles but only chase - never wrestling.

Other than that it is the more solid dogs like staffords.

Small dogs intrigue him but he does not try and engage in play.

My kelpie X Tilly loves other kelpies...her favourite is a huge purebred kelpie boy who is being looked after by my brother. Apparently the kelpie boy doesn't play with other dogs, but Tilly gets along very well with him. They play fight together (something i've never seen Tilly do with another dog) and will try to play fetch 24/7 when they are together. Tilly also cannot resist playing with a ball-mad border collie or staffy and will spot either type of dog from quite a distance, and will run over there full speed and keep a tennis ball in her mouth the entire time while running with the dog. In the past she has also played well with both miniature and standard poodles. Tilly doesn't get along so well with dogs that are in her face.

My stumpy tail cattle dog Jessie isn't the playful type but a few times at the park she had great fun playing with another stumpy tail...they played fetch together in a very similar way (eg. both would only go out so far in the water, only where their paws could touch the bottom).

An old local dog (who was PTS because of old age ) and was a Border Collie X lab (I think) was definitely Jessie's favourite dog. She still remembers his name and will look towards the front door if she hears it :eat: because he used to visit every few months and hang out here.

Edited by fainty_girl