Desexing Info

PuggaWuggles

hi all,

Just wondering about any precautions/care i need to take before and after my pug gets desexed.

Is there anything i need to do before hand,like can he eat before, should i put all his toys away etc.

can he have treats when he gets home,do i need to get him an elizabethan collar,can he have his advocate before he gets done etc.

Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

Edited by PuggaWuggles

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Puggawuggles!

Coincidentally, Bert gets desexed next Monday! We'll have to share our experiences.

The vet told us we wont need an elizabethan collar as pugs find it difficult to reach the stiches.

we have one from when bert had an eye ulcer but we were told we wont need it.

boys are easier than girls, i am told. we had a bit of drama with sally getting vaginitis when she was desexed so fingers crossed all runs smoothly this time!

good luck with your little man!

Usually they are fasted the night before.... if they have food/water in their stomachs, they may vomit under the anaesthetic .. and that can be dangerous.

Afterwards- just offer him a drink later on, and maybe a small meal... he will probably be drowsy.Normal food etc next day.

keep him warm and quiet and let him sleep!

keep him from jumping around too much for a few days..he can still have his toys, of course- but no long walks, or bouncing off furniture :)

he may need an elizabethan collar..chewed stitches are not a good thing.

However, if you are with him, he can be watched then- without the elizabethan collar :D

Hi Puggawuggles

Marlin is going for the big op on Wednesday, I have been told not to give her anything to eat that morning and that they will give me a collar and pain meds for her. I dont know about you but I am sooo worried, I dont care how many dogs get the op every day, I just know I will be a nervous wreck. :D

I have no idea how I am going to keep her quiet, my biggest worry is keeping her out of water, it is so hot here atm, she is constantly dunking in the water buckets. OH has a couple of days off then the weekend so hopefully between us we can keep her occupied.

On another subject I was horrified at the cost of the op, we are remote and only have vet come once a week, so things are always more expensive than in the city, but I hate to think how many dogs do not get desexed because the owners just cannot afford what many see as not a priority. We are having her microchipped at the same time and our bill will be over $400, luckily we are financial and had allowed for this in our budget.

Good luck to both of you with your babies, hope all goes well.

Hi Puggawuggles!

Coincidentally, Bert gets desexed next Monday! We'll have to share our experiences.

The vet told us we wont need an elizabethan collar as pugs find it difficult to reach the stiches.

we have one from when bert had an eye ulcer but we were told we wont need it.

boys are easier than girls, i am told. we had a bit of drama with sally getting vaginitis when she was desexed so fingers crossed all runs smoothly this time!

good luck with your little man!

Hi BertandSally,I hope Bert is all well and good,i think we will both have a sore little Pug come this time next week.it's not really worrying me that much yet,but i am sure when i drop him off,i will be a little frantic.

Poor Sally,i really hope everything goes better for you this time.I will keep i touch about Wugs progress,he is sooky enough now as it is,imagine what he will be like when he is sore and sorry.Let me know how you go with Bert,ill be thinking of you all.Good Luck.

Edited by PuggaWuggles

Hi Puggawuggles

Marlin is going for the big op on Wednesday, I have been told not to give her anything to eat that morning and that they will give me a collar and pain meds for her. I dont know about you but I am sooo worried, I dont care how many dogs get the op every day, I just know I will be a nervous wreck. :D

I have no idea how I am going to keep her quiet, my biggest worry is keeping her out of water, it is so hot here atm, she is constantly dunking in the water buckets. OH has a couple of days off then the weekend so hopefully between us we can keep her occupied.

On another subject I was horrified at the cost of the op, we are remote and only have vet come once a week, so things are always more expensive than in the city, but I hate to think how many dogs do not get desexed because the owners just cannot afford what many see as not a priority. We are having her microchipped at the same time and our bill will be over $400, luckily we are financial and had allowed for this in our budget.

Good luck to both of you with your babies, hope all goes well.

Hi BCPuppy,

You must be getting a bit nervous by now,I hope it all goes smoothly for you and Marlin,i know it will.My Vet,who is really really good,has not given me a great deal of info,like can he eat or drink before hand etc,i think i will call soon just to make sure,but we know Wugs will be ok,our vet owns 2 Pugs himself,his secretary owns one,and evertime we go there,there is at least 3 or 4 Pugs waiting to see him,so he must know what he is doing,but i will still be nervous.

I hope you can keep Marlin away from that water,i wonder if you could just use a wet towel or something and give a gentle wipe down to cool off.

i hope all goes well for you and Marlin,good luck.

I just wanted to say that when they come home, pugs have a sore throat and the hoarse rasping cough and bark/noise you hear is nothing to worry about. It can last up to a week, and can be frightening when you don't expect it. The cause of it is the tube that goes down their throat inflames the vocal chords and throat, making them sound terrible.

Forget about the Elizabethan collar, they can restrict breathing. Pugs cannot reach their stomachs at all, so no chance in hell of damaging the stitches.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bluefairy

I just wanted to say that when they come home, pugs have a sore throat and the hoarse rasping cough and bark/noise you hear is nothing to worry about. It can last up to a week, and can be frightening when you don't expect it. The cause of it is the tube that goes down their throat inflames the vocal chords and throat, making them sound terrible.

Forget about the Elizabethan collar, they can restrict breathing. Pugs cannot reach their stomachs at all, so no chance in hell of damaging the stitches.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Thanks Lyn for the advice,greatly appreciated.

Lloyd and Seven had their op Friday of the week before last, so 10 days ago approx, and they were absolutely fine. They were very sleepy in the evening of Friday when we brought them home, then Saturday they were moving around a bit gingerly, but by Sunday they were back to their feral selves :eek: They didn't go near their own (or each others) stitches at all which was surprising, so no need for a collar at out house. They've been kept on-lead on all their walks, until yesterday. Good luck, i'm sure he'll be fine :cry:

My little man was just done yesterday. He just slept the whole day/night and was basically out of it. Today he still isnt 100% and has been licking the area but not excessively. he also had a hernia repaired, the hernia stiches are non dissolvable and I have to take him back to the vet in 10-14 days. His castration stiches are dissolvable which is great.

My vet gave me a take home after care sheet, which was good. I also got a desexing Certificate and he has a tattloo in his left ear - looks like some black spots.

I felt sooo guilty picking him up, I was so nervous I thought I was going to faint! How embarassing would that have been. LOL

I paid $150 for the desex and $40 for hernia.

My boy gets done tomorrow, so im feeling a bit shit at the moment....:-(

You and me both sandra64, hope all goes well for you today, I am a wreck, Marlin goes in midday, poor girl cant understand why I wont give her anything to eat. Will post update this afternoon. Hugs to everyone and the babies getting desexed today :(

You and me both sandra64, hope all goes well for you today, I am a wreck, Marlin goes in midday, poor girl cant understand why I wont give her anything to eat. Will post update this afternoon. Hugs to everyone and the babies getting desexed today :(

Good luck to all of you,I hope all goes well,please keep us informed.I am really starting to get nervous and anctious now.

Good luck to all of you,I hope all goes well,please keep us informed.I am really starting to get nervous and anctious now.

when does wuggles go in?

Cory's booked in for next Wednesday! We were told to fast him from 8pm the night before but he could have water left out. We drop him off 8am and pick him up in the afternoon.

Good luck to all the dogs being de-sexed and recovering!

We're paying $105 but that's with a reduced cost certificate from the National Desexing Network :(

You and me both sandra64, hope all goes well for you today, I am a wreck, Marlin goes in midday, poor girl cant understand why I wont give her anything to eat. Will post update this afternoon. Hugs to everyone and the babies getting desexed today :flame:

when does wuggles go in?

He goes in on Friday morning.