Is It Just Me

jaybeece

Lol definetly harder than it looks, luckily my husky's sledding instincts are pretty good so once he's 'on the trail' he just toddles along in front at a nice trot most of the time, having said that there are still frequent stops and the odd moment of suddenly heading in the opposite direction. :) My chi gets left at home though he's a terd and refuses to run on the lead even though he is perfectly capable of keeping up he wants to be off the lead but he's too unreliable off lead.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't run anymore...not for any reason just plain laziness these days, but when I did my GSD boy (Buddy) was always my running partner.

He was always by my side with a nice trotting pace equalling mine. There was nothing like the experience of hearing my heartbeat and his breathing in sync. :) He was my running partner for years but is now too old unfortunately. I knew it was time to start leaving him at home when he started to lag behind, sometimes dragging his back paws and stopping...a sure sign that his arthritis was commencing to take hold.

When I got my Kelpie boy, I waited until his was about 12 months old and started taking him with me as well. I initially took Buddy (GSD) with me so show an inexperienced Gabe the way. Initially it was "wow we're going at a faster pace...woohooo' but in time and with some guidance he learned what I wanted. Taking his lead from both myself and Buddy, Gabe learned to stay at a lovely pace along side Buddy and after a while I was jogging with a dog on either side of me. I was then able to retire Buddy.

It does take some training to get them used to the pace but if you apply the same techniques to teach loose lead walking, you shouldn't have a problem. After all, running is a faster version of walking. :rofl:

Oscar comes with me (and does it alot easier than I do too). He seems to keep the same iggy prancing pace out the front of me regardless of whether I am walking or jogging. He only pees when he is out and about if he is absolutely desperate but he has been known to stop dead to sniff something on the ground and send me leaping over the top of him :)

In all seriousness, I think it is something you'd need to train your dog to do - if you wanted to do it.

Weeeell the first issue is that I'm horribly lazy and only get motivated to run every 3 months or so :)

He could be trained, but it's hard going. He's only really learning to not pull while walking now (it's only taken 4 years) and he's actually really good about not sniffing things as we run as he's ok at jogging next to the push bike.

The big issue we have is that our paces are so different and all he wants to do is RUN RUN RUN. He'll hold back for a few metres, then surge ahead, nearly pull me over and then come back and almost send me flying. It's a lot easier to make him walk slower to heel next to me as he's not as excited, when the running happens he just loses his head.

Lol it is harder than it looks! Spencer doesn't 'do' jogging. Fast paced walking, fine. Running like a loon, yes. Jogging? Noooo. He will go as slowly as possible so that he's lagging behind me right at the end of the lead.

Running next to my bike seems to be perfectly acceptable though :)

We (ok, my OH :) ) used to jog with our previous dog- they were both very fit and would jog hard.

When we adopted Honey she was a different proposition, she was unfit, a little overweight and it was suspected she had spent most of her life in a backyard. A half hour walk knocked her out.

I decided she and I would both get fit by jogging together- at first she did the sad brown eyes but I would just do the little bit of jogging, then some walking over and over for an hour. Its been over a month now and she LOVES it now!! When we go for a jog she trots next to me happily (whether on or offlead). We walk less and less, but the easing in has been great for both of us.

Maybe your dog just isnt fit yet?

Pands im with you! Rams keeps a good pace next to me and if he speeds up i say steady and he backs off. Of course i dont run for long and its more a quick shuffle than an actual jog or run :rofl: He loves it. being a lab they like to work a bit faster otherwise he just plods along with the bored face on, rare occassion that i run though, its hard to juggle a dog lead, mp3 player and hold myself down so i can run AND breathe at the same time IYKWIM :rofl: i usually just let him offlead to set his own pace and i follow along behind at my own pace. Works for us :)

EFS

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

Maybe your dog just isnt fit yet?

If this is directed at my dog, he's certainly fit enough :) Picture if you will 38kg of tall, skinny creature bouncing from a standstill a metre into the air, twisting mid air, landing with mouth on a toy and then tearing back down the hallway. Now repeat 10+ times and you have play time in this house :rofl:

This thread is great fun! I've had a few belly laughs. :)

I decided I'd try jogging with Ella because walking just doesn't seem like enough exercise for her and I can't let her off leash as she can be reactive. Probably not the best decision I've ever made in my life as she was never that good at heeling in the first place, but we started out slowly with a very gentle jog for a short distance, and as soon as she started surging ahead I'd stop dead to train her that if she didn't behave, she didn't get to do the fun thing. This seemed to be working so I upped the pace a bit...long story short, I've been towed, tripped and suddenly yanked sideways mid run when she spotted a duck a little closer to the path than was good for me.

My tip - never sprint unless your dog is REALLY well behaved, because they can always run faster than us, and once they hit the end of that leash and start towing you, stopping in a timely manner can be problematic. :rofl:

OUr dog is trained to walk properly - its not that hard as long as you keep enforcing the rules. I walk at speed and she trots along side usually on either a contact (horse term) or slightly loose lead. She can sniff as we go by but no stopping no charging ahead no flat out pulling and the important one her side is the left of the path mine is the right - no crossing the line. And with that we go out for a walk and can go slower or do the flat out sprints (walking - I couldn't run due to the knees). She is permitted to walk a little ahead but knows 'left' right straight ahead and does respond to pressure on the harness to move over if needed.

SHe does get off lead time at the park where she can stop and sniff as long as she comes when called.

I have been trying to run with my dogs. Trying being the word. But its not all the dogs fault. I make it about a hundred metres and die :thumbsup:. Well, I used to but after months of dedicated work I now make at least two hundred before I die! Apart from the fact that I run like a girl I am very unfit I have problems with running with my two dogs. Wylie is great, runs out in front and can keep going for hours. He loves running with me. Loki on the other hand... Will not break out of a trot. Ever! No matter how fast I run he trots along behind me, never breaking pace. If he was a horse I'd be making a fortune on the pacing track :offtopic: That in its self wouldn't be a problem but he also decides after a short way that he is over it and tries to stop. Which is great because I can pretend its the dogs fault I have to stop, not the fact that I am about to keel over and cark it :offtopic: So my running consists of me running along holding one dog back, dragging the other forward...

I used to run with Kivi Tarro, but he became increasingly resistant to it. :thumbsup: He is a lazy ass and would prefer to walk. I would end up towing him up the hills. When he had accepted that we were definitely running, not walking, he kept pace beautifully. I even taught him "this side" to make sure he woudn't pass poles on the wrong side, and "stop" for roads. Only problem was he would sometimes trot a half pace behind me and once or twice I forgot to tell him "this side" and he strung us up. I jogged him on a leash that attaches to a waist belt, so having a 23kg dog run on one side of the pole and me on the other would result in us both coming to a violent halt and exchanging the same bewildered/shocked/hurt looks. That's why I like harnesses over collars. :offtopic:

I'm having trouble finding time for jogs at the moment, but I think Erik will make a good jogging companion when he's old enough. He can go forever.

I run my 2 each morning, but cross country...They sometimes stay on lead and sometimes have free run..depends as its where we ride our mountain bikes so i dont e\want them hit by a bike.. They know to get off the track, my boy stays right beside me but megs is like a kid in a lolly shop. The first roo she sees shes off. so she stays on a long lead so she can run a bit in front but stays with me

Try bike riding. Rounding a corner. Turn corner. Hello goat. Which really means 'hello dirt" :thumbsup:

Oh dear :offtopic:

I still remember the time we saw a GSD over the other side of the road while on the push bike. I casually dismounted (my boy dun like other dogs on HIS street), but a little too casually as he took off before I'd finished. Next thing I know the bike's lying on the nature strip and I'm being dragged down the road towards the dog and it's poor, horrified owner :offtopic:

He didn't get far thankfully and I only had a couple of scrapes. Poor GSD owner though, she'd gone white and was staring with her mouth open. As soon as I got up she yelled out to make sure I was ok, but about all I could get out was "Dog, sorry, bastard, ok, going home, bastard, dog, %$" before shuffling back to the push bike.

OMG!! My dog thinks I've lost it! :thumbsup::offtopic: :offtopic: :laugh: I am sitting at my desk in the workshop howling with laughter and have tears running down my face. My mother has come in from the house to see what the noise is all about. Thank you for convincing me that running with Max is definitely not on!

Geeze people! :hug:

Dog in jogging stroller - off you go! :)

Mmm, maybe you'd like to try that with mine, I'd pay to see it :)

Mine are great to run with, it's me that's hopeless and gives up.

The dogs just get into this steady even trot and go forever.