Crying Puppy...

BooBooBear

So my little Golden Retriever puppy Humphrey arrives on Saturday and I'm just getting in early :thumbsup: to be prepared for some :offtopic: at night.

I have a crate all ready for him with his new bed with a 'bunnings' compost fence around it and was going to pop him beside my bed at night.

Any techniques to help with the crying at night? I like to be prepared :offtopic:

Thanks so much!!!

Congratulations :hug: New puppies are so much fun!

Your baby may not cry at all, Marlin never did, how lucky was I :)

I too kept her by my bed, in a laundry basket at first, all padded so that she could snuggle in, and put my hand in the basket to stroke her if she so much as wimpered, she went from the basket to a bed beside me, and now she sleeps either on the floor at the end of the bed or just outside the door on the tiles (cooler).

Enjoy Humphrey (great name btw) they grow so fast, make the most of the puppy breath.

If you can get a blankie or soft toy that had spent some time with the puppy and its littermates/mum, you could leave that in the crate to comfort the pup (familiar smells!).

Tiring it out helps the pup go to la-la land faster too.

That said, it is important that you do not give the puppy any attention (eg. talking to it, looking at it, touching it) if it is whining in the crate (assuming it does not need to pee) because it will learn very quickly that it can whine to get your attention! And the whining will just continue and continue. What you can do however, is to praise and give the pup a little pat, WHEN IT IS QUIET (ie. reward the pup for not whining). Make sure you wait for at least 3 secs of quiet if its been whining before you praise the pup tho'.

Good luck! Love puppies!! As BCPuppy said, they are adults before you know it and you'll miss those puppy days! Take lots of pictures!!

What everyone said -- blankie or toy from litter (might want to ask breeder to put this with litter now so scent is on the article), clock wrapped in blanket to replicate heartbeat of mummy, soft radio to keep him company.

We wanted our pup to sleep in the laundry, and we crated him, but we started him next to the bed. After about a week, moved him out a few metres at a time, until we moved the crate all the way down the hallway to the laundry. So he went from next to bed, to doorway of our bedroom, to a couple of metres outside where he could still see us, and after about 2 weeks, to the laundry by himself.

I def think he'll tend to cry less next to you but do NOT go to him every time and only get him out if you think it's toilet time. When you do let him out, do the business quietly and with minimal fuss.

We also set an alarm for ourselves to wake him up for toilet, every few hours. Philosophy was, he's gonna wake up anyway, we may as well try and plan it to suit us as best we can. I think we woke up twice during the night for first week, then once until about 14-15 weeks, then he slept through.

Good luck !!! Puppies are the best !!!!!

We had this dilemma too not sure if to put our ridgeback puppy in our room at night. In the end we decided to try her where we wanted her to sleep in the long run (family room) and left her (huge!) crate in there. The first night she cried for a few minutes then went to sleep, each night it got less until now after her last wee outside she just goes straight to her crate and snuggles down, she's now just over 13wks old. We had a few tiring weeks of getting up in the night for a wee but now she usually sleeps till about 5am then its back in her crate until we're ready to wake up ........ this i've found the hardest, if only she could make it till 6am, its a much more sociable hour :) .

Good luck, can't wait to see the photos :love:

Thank you so much for those tips!

Mrs Tornsocks, I thought I would set an alarm too, glad it worked for you :love:

Daydreamer - that's great that it only lasted a minutes :)

Will definitely be posting lots of photos of Humphrey - oohh I'm so excited!!!!

Maybe your breeder could put a blanket or towel in the airline crate with the puppy that has all the lovely smells from mum and brothers and sisters on it??

:) Great idea MP. I'm sure Humphrey's breeder won't mind a bit!! :love:

BooBoo: Izzy was the last puppy i bought elsewhere (the rest i have kept on from my own litters). She was absolutely wonderful. A few whimpers that lasted perhaps 1 or 2 minutes for the first 2 nights and that was it. I think i was incredibly lucky with her though - slept through the night from day 1!!!!

oops, i forgot about Pirate!! He was also very similar to Izzy - a few whimpers the first few nights and that was it. I took him outside the first few nights when i had to go to the toilet myself but other than that, no problems at all.

It's difficult, but if he does cry, just ignore him, unless you really think he needs to go outside to toilet. Are you going to crate train Humphrey? I find crate training wonderful for assisting with toilet training. Izzy and Pirate had no accidents in their crates whatsoever, whereas i find if you give them a larger area they often do wet their bed!

ETA: I also put the crate in my room which i feel also helps :laugh:

Edited by goldielover

None of my dogs cried when they came home. Odin started playing the moment he got home, had a good dinner and promptly went to sleep :( We had set him up just outside our bedroom in a puppy pen. I had put lots of soft toys in the pen. But tiring them is a good idea. Genie slept next to Odin when she arrived. She did not cry either.

Edited by Odin-Genie

Maybe your breeder could put a blanket or towel in the airline crate with the puppy that has all the lovely smells from mum and brothers and sisters on it??

Its a great idea and one my breeder and I had too. Nala came from Sydney to Perth ( I think with jetpets) and the vetbed our breeder sent didn't arrive in the crate :) She also flew a pup to Tasmania and their bed didnt arrive with them either ........ I must ask her if she found out what happened to them.

We just brought our ten week old boxer home yesterday. We put him in the bathroom last night after a big play, toys, bed etc. He howled for about an hour then eventually went to sleep and slept til 6:30 with no mistakes in the bathroom. My only concern letting him sleep elsewhere is if he pees. We have carpet everywhere else. Once toilet trained I have no problem where he sleeps. Any suggestions.

We just brought our ten week old boxer home yesterday. We put him in the bathroom last night after a big play, toys, bed etc. He howled for about an hour then eventually went to sleep and slept til 6:30 with no mistakes in the bathroom. My only concern letting him sleep elsewhere is if he pees. We have carpet everywhere else. Once toilet trained I have no problem where he sleeps. Any suggestions.

If he's in a crate you can sleep him in any room of the house. :laugh: He'd be happier in the same room as you.

How exciting BooBooBear, I bet you can't get to sleep tonight, lol. I put Charlie by my bed in a crate as a pup (he and Leah both still sleep in crates beside my bed) and he whimpered one time so I put my fingers through the bars for a minute and that was it. No crying at all. :(

I'm with Poodlefan. A crate in your bedroom, or at least very close by, would be a great solution. :)